RCG Reviews the Graupner Alpha 300Q 3D Copter HOTT Version ARF

Graupner and OpenHobby.com lets quad pilots defy the laws of Physics with their latest offering!

Splash

Introduction

Frame Width: 366mm
Frame Weight:460 grams
Frame Length:365mm
Transmitter:Graupner 5 channel or greater
Receiver:Included, GR-18
Battery:3s 1300-3s1800, 50c minimum
Motor:Included, 2809-2300KV
ESC:Included 4, 20amp, with BLHeli installed
Typical Flight Duration:4- 5 minutes
Available From:OpenHobby.com
Price:$369.00

For me, the name Graupner has always represented quality, and the Alpha 300Q is no exception. My experience with Graupner products in the past has taught me to expect products that work and last. Well built, rugged, and fun, the 300Q is sure to bring a smile to your face.

RCG Reviews the Graupner Alpha 300Q 3D Copter HOTT Version ARF (3 min 12 sec)

Inside the box

With a street price of $369.00, you get a great quad. Let's take a look inside the box, and see what we find.

The Alpha 300Q arrived well protected in a nice box that doubles as a carrying case. The foam is cut to protect the quad, and also has slots for spare props and a battery or two.

• When you look inside, you find an Alpha 300Q assembled with the following items:
  • 1 S1019 GR-18 receiver with integrated flight-control
  • 2 (S7052) ULTRA Brushless Motors 2809-2300KV with right-hand thread
  • 2, (S7051) ULTRA Brushless Motors 2809-2300KV with left-hand thread
  • 4, S3057 ULTRA Brushless ESC's 3D 20A ONESHOT Controller with BL Heli Software
  • 4 each 6x3 3D propeller red (R / L)
  • 4 each 6x3 3D Propeller white (R / L)

I supplied a 60c 3S 1400mah Hyperion HV battery .

Features

The quad arrives built, and ready to bind to any Graupner HOTT radio. The GR-18 receiver and integrated flight controller make setup and tuning simple, and also cuts down on the number of connections you need check when it's time to do maintenance. The GR-18 also includes telemetry, and allows for over-the-air tuning of all flight parameters, no computer or portable device needed! Even better, the quad arrives already optimized for 3D flight, meaning that all you have to do is add a battery, bind it to your radio, and go fly. If you are new to 3D flight, you can select between 2 modes which allow you to have self stabilization, or all out 3D flight. The frame is constructed of 3mm carbon fiber, and has LED's installed both top and bottom, and they are plenty bright! The motors are hand wound and have 9mm magnets. They spin the 6x3 3D props with authority. I never once felt it lacked for power.

Flight

Let's face it, regardless of how a quad looks, what I really care about is how it flies, and boy does the Alpha excel! In Attitude mode (stabilized mode) it feels locked in, and responds exactly as I have come to expect from my 250 racers in Angle mode. Response is crisp, and allows for 50 degrees of deviation in pitch and roll. The throttle response felt very good, I was impressed that I didn't feel the need to play with any curve to smooth it out.

The fun begins when you switch into Rate mode, which disables the accelerometers, and allows for full control, and wild 3D. The transition to rate mode is best done a little over half throttle, much like switching to idle up with a helicopter. The key thing to remember is that once you go below half throttle, the props reverse direction, and the magic begins. The transition feels very good, with no notable jumpiness. It does take a bit to get used to stopping a loop or a roll (with a quad ) upside down and staying there. The hang time is limited only by your battery. Tic Tocs look great, as do Hurricane Flips. Most any maneuver you can do with a helicopter, you can do with the Alpha 300Q . As simple as it is, I love to flip inverted and then drop down to trim the grass. The 300Q is so stable, it inspires confidence, and it is strong enough to take most crashes without damage.

The transition from Rate to Attitude mode is quick and positive. If you have the altitude, the quad will quickly regain an upright position, allowing you to breathe a sigh of relief if you get confused while trying out a new trick.

Is this for beginners?

If you have an experienced pilot to help you learn the ropes, you could cut your teeth on the Alpha 300Q in Attitude mode. I would not recommend trying to go it alone, however. While it is stable and limited to 50 degrees of deviation in pitch and roll, it is quick, and could easily get away from a new flyer. However, with a little time and an experienced flyer to help you out, you could learn to fly, and then progress to 3D aerobatics. I don't know of many quadcopters that offer that kind of flight experience.

Pluses and Minuses

Pluses

• Fully assembled
  • Spare props included
  • Room in the frame for FPV gear, if you are brave
  • 3D capable!

Minuses

• It's hard to keep in the frame when filming!

Conclusion

I am very impressed with how well the Alpha 300Q flies. It does what you ask of it, and it does it well. It's quick, stable, and provides a flight experience a lot of quad pilots might not have had yet. The strong construction, coupled with the smooth flight characteristics will enable any quad pilot to expand their skills quickly, and opens up interesting possibilities for 3D FPV quad flight. If you are looking for something different, yet familiar, head over to OpenHobby.com, and pick up a 300Q for yourself!

I would like to thank Blake Wilson for his flight skills, OpenHobby for supplying the Alpha 300Q, and Jim T. and Angela for their support.

Last edited by IFLYOS; Mar 03, 2016 at 09:19 PM..
Apr 12, 2016, 04:50 PM
I like it....for purely selfish reasons that i can show off 3d heli skills i already have hehe and for increasing the performance envelope!
Apr 12, 2016, 08:56 PM
14s 180mah should be enough...
Thread OP
It's perfect for exactly that, Mustang!
Latest blog entry: Intro..a few years to late!
Apr 14, 2016, 09:33 PM
Whoopsie
Sweet, now if only my flying skills would catch up with this technology so I could put it to good use
Apr 15, 2016, 07:05 PM
OCD
Good work,Tim. Good flying, Blake. Good team.
Apr 16, 2016, 10:22 PM
Thanks for a nice review Tim!

Next step is flying it on 4S. A real thrill

We were out of stock for a while but we just got a new batch in. They move fast!

Alpha 300Q ARF

Alpha 300Q Kit (Use your own flight controller)
Apr 18, 2016, 07:27 AM
14s 180mah should be enough...
Thread OP
Thanks for the kind words!

I was going to message you and ask about 4s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graupner USA
Thanks for a nice review Tim!

Next step is flying it on 4S. A real thrill

We were out of stock for a while but we just got a new batch in. They move fast!

Alpha 300Q ARF

Alpha 300Q Kit (Use your own flight controller)
Latest blog entry: Intro..a few years to late!
Apr 18, 2016, 06:55 PM
Very nice review!! This was my first Graupner, and I'm really enjoying it. One suggestion - I've still not figured out how to properly configure motor stop on this beast - if one of you Graupner experts wants to take the time to make some suggestions that would be awesome!!!
Latest blog entry: FrSky Long Range!
Apr 25, 2016, 10:47 PM
Hi - based on the great reviews I bought one along with a MZ-18 transmitter. The only problem is that the 300Q handbook says you should select the transmitter model as a 'surface' model but the MZ-18 only has helicopter, airplane and glider options. Any idea as to what the trasnmitter shoulld be set to? My supplier doesn't know and so can't help.

Thanks
Apr 25, 2016, 10:51 PM
Use ACRO model with 1A and you should be good.
Apr 26, 2016, 04:25 PM
Ok Thanks - I'll give it a go
Sep 06, 2016, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Use ACRO model with 1A and you should be good.
Just got mine, also. Is this selection also valid for the MZ 24? Also, how do I bind the receiver as it is completely hidden inside the frame?
Sep 07, 2016, 12:08 AM
You can download a multirotor model made for the mz-24 and GR-18 from our website.

You can access the bind button from the top. Press the set button and then the bind button on the mz-24 and you are good to go.

Don't forget to take the props off while setting up your 300Q!
Jan 28, 2017, 01:39 PM

3 d flying

Hi
I was wondering if there are any instructional video or tutorials on 3d flying if quads for beginner' s new to the sport
while I have experience with drones , I have never done any 3d flying
Feb 06, 2017, 06:07 PM
Quote:
You can download a multirotor model made for the mz-24 and GR-18 from our website.

You can access the bind button from the top. Press the set button and then the bind button on the mz-24 and you are good to go.

Don't forget to take the props off while setting up your 300Q!
Hi do you have a download for the mx-20

Thanks

Quick Reply