Feb 02, 2016, 12:35 AM
BOYCOTT SCAMAZON
Thread OP
Question

Anyone have experience with a pirat??

Just picked this up and have absolutely no experience with building sail boats but being a long time modeler am taking the project on, model is called the PIRAT and was made in Sweden, if you have experience with this model send PM, hopefully thiers someone out their within the Puget sound area
to remove ads between posts
Feb 02, 2016, 03:49 AM
Boaters are nice people.
More info please; name of manufacturer, length of finished boat, proper photo's of the box so we can read the text (there are Swedish forummembers).

Regards, Jan.
Feb 02, 2016, 12:34 PM

Pirat

I built one of these as a kid. It's a plank on frame all-wood model. It's not an easy build but it is beautiful. It's intended for free sailing or display, not radio control. The boat is tender due to its short keel, light ballast, and heavy wooden mast. It sails acceptably in light breezes.
As an anecdote, I recall racing my Pirat at the Detroit Public Schools annual model yacht regatta for students. Classes were 24, 30, 36 inches. I shortened my Pirat by cutting off some of the stern to make it fit the 24 inch class (if I recall, the boat is approx 25-26 inches long). The boat did not fare well in the rough conditions against the heavier traditional boats.
Feb 02, 2016, 03:30 PM
BOYCOTT SCAMAZON
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldtian
I built one of these as a kid. It's a plank on frame all-wood model. It's not an easy build but it is beautiful. It's intended for free sailing or display, not radio control. The boat is tender due to its short keel, light ballast, and heavy wooden mast. It sails acceptably in light breezes.
As an anecdote, I recall racing my Pirat at the Detroit Public Schools annual model yacht regatta for students. Classes were 24, 30, 36 inches. I shortened my Pirat by cutting off some of the stern to make it fit the 24 inch class (if I recall, the boat is approx 25-26 inches long). The boat did not fare well in the rough conditions against the heavier traditional boats.
thanx for the reply! I really haven't had any experience boat building but am a long time modeler,thiers some things that I cant figure out have several questions so will get back to ya soon thanx
Feb 02, 2016, 08:27 PM
BOYCOTT SCAMAZON
Thread OP
If you recall the instructions aren't that easy to understand, like no part numbers on the plans that are on the wood parts so ya gotta pretty much guess which is what Im doing, plez check out the pic below and tell me if those cabin parts look right,

I believe the small square pcs BB EE AND M look like deck hatches ?? pcs CC DD would be the seats inside the cabin ?? and the big piece F goes on the rear cabin top ??
Last edited by lectroglide; Feb 02, 2016 at 08:38 PM.
Feb 02, 2016, 09:15 PM
The hatch covers are two pieces, small and large. The small piece goes on the bottom. The long narrow pieces are the cockpit seats. The large square piece must be the cabin top. The cabin windows on my boat had brass circles for the portholes. I glued clear plastic behind them. That cockpit becomes a swimming pool in big waves.
Feb 02, 2016, 09:31 PM
There should also be a narrow piece for the front of the cabin which I'm not seeing in the photos.
Feb 02, 2016, 10:26 PM
BOYCOTT SCAMAZON
Thread OP
Quote:
There should also be a narrow piece for the front of the cabin which I'm not seeing in the photos.
I think you mean 2 support pcs on the front Im pointing at right?

the 4 narrow pcs Im pointing at must be the seats ?

so your saying these last 5 pcs are for the hatches correct?

as you can see Im having to tape pcs together to get a better idea whats going on! thanx again for your help will be back later
Last edited by lectroglide; Feb 02, 2016 at 10:38 PM.
Feb 02, 2016, 10:52 PM
Yes, yes, and I'm not sure what the fifth hatch piece is (I built my boat in 1971 and no longer have it so it's a bit hazy). Does the box photo show a total of three hatch covers, two on the deck and one on the cabin top? If so the odd larger piece is probably the cabin top hatch and it may have sat on or had two simulated "rails" protruding forward of it that would have been thin strips of wood. Check the box art on this.
Feb 03, 2016, 04:19 PM
BOYCOTT SCAMAZON
Thread OP
Quote:
Yes, yes, and I'm not sure what the fifth hatch piece is (I built my boat in 1971 and no longer have it so it's a bit hazy). Does the box photo show a total of three hatch covers, two on the deck and one on the cabin top? If so the odd larger piece is probably the cabin top hatch and it may have sat on or had two simulated "rails" protruding forward of it that would have been thin strips of wood. Check the box art on this.
appears to be one in the back and one on the cabin and maybe one in the cockpit, kinda hard to tell

another question, Im assuming the bottom of the hull is all planked and Id use those long strings right?
I see the deck is also planked with stringers, is their any trick for the application except the use of CA

also am assuming you plank the deck first then install the cabin sound right?
Last edited by lectroglide; Feb 03, 2016 at 04:38 PM.
Feb 03, 2016, 09:26 PM
I'm at work, will get back w/you.
Feb 03, 2016, 10:51 PM
BOYCOTT SCAMAZON
Thread OP
Quote:
I'm at work, will get back w/you.
\
any time, thanx
Feb 16, 2016, 12:43 PM
BOYCOTT SCAMAZON
Thread OP
howdy, I somehow got it planked and tried some bondo , it worked but thinking I could use plaster board spackle instead and believe itll be easier to work with and cheaper, if it does work will finish it off with a spray laquer primer then paint , what do ya think??
Feb 16, 2016, 03:57 PM
Po' boys does w/ Po'boys ways
See my reply to your Spackle ??? thread in Dock Talk!!! Tim aka Cap'n Hax

Quick Reply