Feb 01, 2016, 09:53 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Should I convert my Futaba 8u to 2.4ghz?

I have a farm where I can fly with my son. We have plenty of land. I'm getting back into the hobby and c things have changed and my FM stuff is obsolete. I will probably join a club but i was wondering if the conversion was necessary. I was also thinking about starting a club at the farm?
to remove ads between posts
Feb 01, 2016, 09:56 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
If you plan on club flying, I'd strongly recommend going 2.4

All of the hassle of channel management goes away with 2.4. You also get a more reliable link with far less glitching than any FM setup.
Feb 01, 2016, 10:00 AM
S.A.D. member
FM is not obsolete and it is still legal to use. Make sure the club still has a frequency board and that it is properly used by those who still fly FM.

Ivan
Feb 01, 2016, 10:03 AM
65 years of RC flying
Some clubs don't even permit the use of anything other than 2.4. Many allow it but no longer make provision for frequency control (frequency board), leaving it to individuals using 72 to work things out. The latter approach requires real discipline and risks clashes.
Feb 01, 2016, 10:36 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc
FM is not obsolete and it is still legal to use. Make sure the club still has a frequency board and that it is properly used by those who still fly FM.

Ivan
Still legal, but definitely obsolete.

Not that there's anything wrong with obsolete, and FM still has still has the advantages of lower frequency (better penetration through foliage for one).
Feb 01, 2016, 10:39 AM
Thread OP
Well i have several FM radios and i guess on the farm i wouldn't need 2.4. How would you guys go about starting a club? I have 28 acres and unused horse paddocks that i would like to make into a landing strip
Feb 01, 2016, 10:45 AM
Taranis Tyro...
That is probably a question better asked with a phone call or email to the national body representing aeromodelling in your country, not in the Radios forum of RCGroups. Remember, this is a litigious world we live in these days, so setting up a club needs to be done very very carefully to ensure you do not put yourself or your members at risk.
Feb 01, 2016, 10:45 AM
Submarines, etc.
the fact is, his "conversion" for a futaba 8u is simply to buy a 2.4ghz module, and put that in the module socket on the back of the radio. then put a 2.4ghz receiver in the airplane. no harm, no foul, if he decides he doesn't like it. it will take all of 30 seconds to go back to FM.
Feb 01, 2016, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ng8264723
How would you guys go about starting a club? I have 28 acres and unused horse paddocks that i would like to make into a landing strip
(Other peoples') horses pay better than model airplane clubs.

Andy
Feb 01, 2016, 03:41 PM
Altogether now --------
"A horse is a horse, of course, of course, And no one can talk to a horse of course. "
Feb 01, 2016, 08:25 PM
Thread OP
I don't need the money. I like my farm the way it is. A club would be nice though. I have no idea where to go for advice. I realize this is not the best forum for that I will try to look for another.
getting back to my question. Any advice on a module that won't break the bank?
Feb 01, 2016, 08:36 PM
S.A.D. member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ng8264723
I don't need the money. I like my farm the way it is. A club would be nice though. I have no idea where to go for advice. I realize this is not the best forum for that I will try to look for another.
getting back to my question. Any advice on a module that won't break the bank?
Depends on what receivers you would use. What features and cost do you expect from the receivers. Based on that you find the receivers suitable for your needs and buy a module which the receivers you picked are compatible with.

Available modules which would work with the Futaba 8U (and 7U, 9C and 10CP) are Spektrum DM8 DSM2, Futaba TM-7 or TM-8 FASST modules, the Futaba S-FHSS module, The Frsky DFT, there are also ASSAN and Corona modules which support their receivers.

Ivan
Feb 02, 2016, 03:19 AM
Thread OP
I have two futaba super 7's and a 8uaf.

Quick Reply