Jan 31, 2016, 07:11 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Mk Blue angel 45

Another pick up on a cool classic. I know MK kits were one of the best. Do any of you have one of these and how do you like it.

This one is equipt with a OS 50 FSR, mech retracts. Needs newer servos. But looks fast just sitting still.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 31, 2016, 09:20 PM
I don't have one, but a modeler in Australia sent me a canopy he pulled for the kit plans. He thought it flew better than the 0.60 version.

Jim
Latest blog entry: MAAC Wings
Jan 31, 2016, 09:40 PM
Very nice. Don't see a BA everyday.
Jan 31, 2016, 10:20 PM
I just want to go fly!
That does look fast! Love it
Feb 01, 2016, 01:29 AM
Oh man! That 50FSR with the 8.5cc Macs Tuned Pipe will turn an 11 x 6 Top flight Power Point prop at minimum 14,000rpm.

Great engine. It uses a Dykes piston ring so most people think the engines wore out as the ring only seals during combustion. Otherwise it turns over without any back pressure at TDC.
Feb 01, 2016, 08:15 AM
Very nice! I'm a huge Blue Angel fan.

Mike
Feb 01, 2016, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhal22
Very nice. Don't see a BA everyday.
For you and me that would be everyday!

Mike
Feb 01, 2016, 10:41 AM
A very nice looking BA. I picked a 60 size one up at a swap meet last year in bare bones. Someone had taken the finish off the fuse and stripped the monokote off the wing and tail. It' s been sitting in the shop collecting dust since then. Seeing yours probably will motivate me to work on it in the near future.

Ron
Last edited by RTLIKES RC; Feb 01, 2016 at 10:41 AM. Reason: spelling
Feb 01, 2016, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTLIKES RC
A very nice looking BA. I picked a 60 size one up at a swap meet last year in bare bones. Someone had taken the finish off the fuse and stripped the monokote off the wing and tail. It' s been sitting in the shop collecting dust since then. Seeing yours probably will motivate me to work on it in the near future.

Ron
I like the way the 60 size Blue Angel flies but I'm running an OS 61SF ABC-P on a pipe. With a weight of seven pounds It is ballistic.

Not knowing the weights, my best guess is I think the person that thought 45 flew better than the 60, might not have had enough power on his 60 to equal the power to weight ratio of the 45. Aerodynamically larger airframes of the same design usually fly better if they have the right power.

Mike
Feb 01, 2016, 03:43 PM
Ahhhhhh,

Now I'm getting the bug to dust this plane off and get a list together for restoring it. Although lately having a little trouble with my hands not cooperating for a detailed restore . I would just be satisfied with getting it back in the air with a OK finish at this point. Might be up to doing a restore thread, just don't want to embarrass myself with a ugly, but fast BA.......lol
Ron
Feb 01, 2016, 04:17 PM
Thread OP
This MK is heavier then my 60 size compensator. And there both covered and still seem lite. The MK seems built tough tho.
Feb 01, 2016, 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet_Flyer
For you and me that would be everyday!

Mike
Ha! I didn't think about it that way. I have a contractor redoing my basement, he was amazed at the idea that I had hand cut my BA.
Feb 01, 2016, 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashEMhard
This MK is heavier then my 60 size compensator. And there both covered and still seem lite. The MK seems built tough tho.
I think in the RC world a person has not lived the RC dream until they have built a MK kit and hung a big old piped 61 on the front. Or in my and David's case to reach a extra level of nirvana we cut the kit parts ourselves.

They are quite amazing!

Mike
Feb 01, 2016, 09:29 PM

Blue Angel 40

Here are the files for this airplane.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpurcha
I don't have one, but a modeler in Australia sent me a canopy he pulled for the kit plans. He thought it flew better than the 0.60 version.

Jim
Latest blog entry: MAAC Wings
Feb 02, 2016, 06:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpurcha
Here are the files for this airplane.

Jim
Frikin nice! What better way to get someone motivated to build then the posting of plans with templates even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet_Flyer
I think in the RC world a person has not lived the RC dream until they have built a MK kit and hung a big old piped 61 on the front. Or in my and David's case to reach a extra level of nirvana we cut the kit parts ourselves.

They are quite amazing!

Mike
Agreed!

Love glow powered Classic Pattern Planes! I'm definitely a Blue Angel fan as well.

Maybe there should be a separate forum for Electric Classic Pattern flying. Just saying.

Something about an engine coming alive at the flip of propeller, the twang of a tuned pipe, and the sound of the plane getting on the pipe as it passes by has always rocked me!

Sorry the technology is getting to the point where you can really over power these planes with electric motors but there's just no way to replace that sound.

Bryan

Quick Reply