Any tips for a beginner? Acro FPV? - RC Groups
Jan 31, 2016, 12:27 PM
Discussion

Any tips for a beginner? Acro FPV?

I started on a toy and moved up to a zmr250 clone that i built. I feel somewhat confident flying in horizon and angle LOS. I do have goggles but dont feel confident using them.

How did you start your flying and move up to FPV and Acro mode? I dont feel stable enough flying acro even LOS. Im running stock PIDS right now and it flies ok. Eventually id like to tune it for a more locked in feel but at the moment im just trying to master horizon mode LOS.

Basically i fly large loops around myself. I tried the goggles at the end of the flight and it seems somewhat disorienting. Continue horizon mode and then move to Acro LOS? Then perhaps start FPV in horizon after i feel my skills in flying the craft are up to par?

Im trying to be very cautious as i dont want to lose the quad or have a spectacular crash or god forvid damage someone or something. I fly in a fairly large field. Also, i think my 3.6mm lense is way to small of a FOV?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 31, 2016, 01:04 PM
Team AlienWarpSquad
Practice, practice, practice, lots of props and more practice.
Angle or Horizon mode is ok to start out with. Most of us did start then switched to Acro mode for both LOS Aerobatics and FVP close proximity and racing.

Crashing is just part of flying these quads. Was out flying FPV in my back yard a little bit ago and crashes 6 times breaking two props. I have been flying FPV for two years.

Just do not fly over any place you can not walk to and not too far away. These 250 size copters are pretty tough and can take crashes. DO install a beeper and setup an AUX channel to turn on the beeper. I did use this today since my copter was buried in snow after one crash and I couldn't see it. The beeper took me right to the copter.

Yes, most of us use a 2.8mm FL lens as the best FOV.
Jan 31, 2016, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the input. Im pretty happy with the way the quad flies and im improving with every set of batteries. Ive noticed i get a bit of oscillation on descent. I guess i could use some pid tuning.

Will probably wait till my flying skills are better though.
Jan 31, 2016, 04:52 PM
Team AlienWarpSquad
Yea, If it flies reasonably well then just get lots of practice.
The better you are at flying the easier PID tuning will be when you start working on a better tune.
In the mean time do start reading about PID tuning.
Jan 31, 2016, 05:14 PM
Childlike Activity for Adults
That oscillation may be caused by the "vortex ring effect" which commonly affects quads in descent. Basically descending through the quad's own propwash. For some quads it is better to have some forward/backward "direction" during descents.

I agree with waltr. One really should have a handle on how to fly their aircraft manually and having an understanding of how everything works with the basic PID settings before messing around with settings. Noob's really do not have the experience to be able to really discern the differences in performance with PID changes.
Jan 31, 2016, 05:33 PM
FA3PR9WM79
Leave the PIDs alone! As previously mentioned what you described is a classic example of a rotary winged aircraft in VRS. The "fix" is to never come straight down into the prop wash, ALWAYS descend at an angle.

For learning, get one of these: Dyanam USB simulator controller, and download this: Freerider FPV

If your goggles will take a composite video input, you can get one of these: VGA to Composite converter.

A word of caution: "Flying" using a computer monitor is pretty easy. When you put the goggles on, take it easy with the "yankin' and bankin'," especially if you are prone to motion sickness. Hurling onto a laptop is not a good idea...
Jan 31, 2016, 05:55 PM
Paramotor&racing MR enthusiast
Easy, buy free rider for 5 dollars learn basics of fpv rate mode.

I did that and actual flight was easier than the sim.
Jan 31, 2016, 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgazer
Leave the PIDs alone! As previously mentioned what you described is a classic example of a rotary winged aircraft in VRS. The "fix" is to never come straight down into the prop wash, ALWAYS descend at an angle.

For learning, get one of these: Dyanam USB simulator controller, and download this: Freerider FPV

If your goggles will take a composite video input, you can get one of these: VGA to Composite converter.

A word of caution: "Flying" using a computer monitor is pretty easy. When you put the goggles on, take it easy with the "yankin' and bankin'," especially if you are prone to motion sickness. Hurling onto a laptop is not a good idea...

Excellent. Ive been letting my son wear the goggles while i fly and he complained of some nausea. Hehe. Ive got a 2.8mm lense coming to replace the 3.6mm lense that i have currently. Maybe by the time it gets here on the slow boat i may have enough experience to give it a try. Went through 5 batteries and broke two props. Lmao. That is an actual improvement for me. Also ive been flying a lot lower and more aggressive.

Rate mode seems like its going to be challenging though. Even in horizon or angle i get into this mode where it looks like im sliding at times. Orientation isnt quite right. Im heading one way and the quad is pointed slightly off that heading.
Jan 31, 2016, 06:31 PM
Paramotor&racing MR enthusiast
I wouldn't say rate mode is harder just different. A few basic control techniques into muscle memory and you'll be fine.
Jan 31, 2016, 07:00 PM
Armattan Spy
U gotta just jump into rate mode for FPV. It's intimidating and a little tricky in the beginning but it will "click" suddenly and it won't take long.
You don't believe me now but FPV rate is way easier to fly than FPV in angle or horizon.

Crashes are just part of the game.
Jan 31, 2016, 07:40 PM
I know crashes are going to happen as i've definitely had a few. I'm trying to avoid the expensive ones though. A week after i built this quad i crashed pretty good messing around with Acro mode and losing orientation when i was way too high. Bent the standoffs and burnt up a motor. I didn't know it then, but on later investigation it looks like two phases from the ESC to the motor direct shorted to each other in the crash. I replaced the motor and when the problem persisted that is when i noticed the motor issue was still there and identified. Hehe.. I think if i had taken the quad apart then i could have avoided a motor replacement. The old one MAY still work but after the heat it saw i'm not sure i would trust it.

I built this quad to learn on but honestly now i think i went about it the wrong way. I mounted the ESC's inbetween the two bottom plates with a spacer. It's a pain in the butt when things need fixing. I'm contemplating building an Armattan f1-6 for my second quad with some emax MT2205 2300kv motors with the ability for 4s. Sort of wish i would have went with that frame the first time as it just seems so clean with the integrated pdb+flight controller.

Another issue is my FPV camera. The image quality sucks. I understand it's not going to be great but the colors are weird. I know that my 3.6mm lense was the wrong choice now and have a 2.8mm on order. I don't have the board to plug in to the camera to adjust the settings. Maybe that would help the color.

Overall i'm really enjoying this new found hobby and this Forum as well. I will admit that when i began to see all the videos online about these quads i thought flying was going to be easier. I did not experience some of the issues i've seen on here with new flyers as i feel like i did a fair amount of research building and also left my PIDs alone. It is tempting to fiddle with them though.. I'm running betaflight so i was thinking of giving gtune a try. Anyone have experience with it?

It's satisfying to be able to tell that my skills are improving. Making the leap to rate mode and FPV flying seems like a large one right now though!
Last edited by boredmug; Jan 31, 2016 at 07:46 PM.
Jan 31, 2016, 07:50 PM
FPV is not a Crime
Get the sim that Oldgazer recommended and use that to learn rate mode. As other have said it's not harder, just different and you have to develop the muscle memory needed. As far a disorientation in the goggles goes, I find that sitting down helps. If it's too much for you, try a monitor instead. Right now Pid tuning isn't going to help, just practice.
Jan 31, 2016, 07:51 PM
Armattan Spy
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmug
I know crashes are going to happen as i've definitely had a few. I'm trying to avoid the expensive ones though. A week after i built this quad i crashed pretty good messing around with Acro mode and losing orientation when i was way too high. Bent the standoffs and burnt up a motor. I didn't know it then, but on later investigation it looks like two phases from the ESC to the motor direct shorted to each other in the crash. I replaced the motor and when the problem persisted that is when i noticed the motor issue was still there and identified. Hehe.. I think if i had taken the quad apart then i could have avoided a motor replacement. The old one MAY still work but after the heat it saw i'm not sure i would trust it.

I built this quad to learn on but honestly now i think i went about it the wrong way. I mounted the ESC's inbetween the two bottom plates with a spacer. It's a pain in the butt when things need fixing. I'm contemplating building an Armattan f1-6 for my second quad with some emax MT2205 2300kv motors with the ability for 4s. Sort of wish i would have went with that frame the first time as it just seems so clean with the integrated pdb+flight controller.

Another issue is my FPV camera. The image quality sucks. I understand it's not going to be great but the colors are weird. I know that my 3.6mm lense was the wrong choice now and have a 2.8mm on order. I don't have the board to plug in to the camera to adjust the settings. Maybe that would help the color.

Overall i'm really enjoying this new found hobby and this Forum as well. I will admit that when i began to see all the videos online about these quads i thought flying was going to be easier. It's satisfying to be able to tell that my skills are improving though. Making the leap to rate mode and FPV flying seems like a large one right now though!
Armattan is def the right way to go. It's what I fly.
I recently bought and built The f1-4b with their DIY kit and I couldn't be happier.
The DIY kit came with everything that you needed including the solder but excluding the FPV gear.
You will probably need to change your camera if you go this route as all the f1 series quads are built around the hs1177. An amazing but very affordable camera.
If u go this route check out my blog as I did a build log for it.
I also only started flying a year ago and FPV this past July and I documented the process. It's a little embarrassing but please feel free to check out my blog for that as well. But as you can see my progression was quite quick....
Just click on my profile and you will see my blog.
Jan 31, 2016, 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnecJP
Armattan is def the right way to go. It's what I fly.
I recently bought and built The f1-4b with their DIY kit and I couldn't be happier.
The DIY kit came with everything that you needed including the solder but excluding the FPV gear.
You will probably need to change your camera if you go this route as all the f1 series quads are built around the hs1177. An amazing but very affordable camera.
If u go this route check out my blog as I did a build log for it.
I also only started flying a year ago and FPV this past July and I documented the process. It's a little embarrassing but please feel free to check out my blog for that as well. But as you can see my progression was quite quick....
Just click on my profile and you will see my blog.
Awesome! I'm checking that out right now. Nothing to be embarrassed about. I literally had my twins who are 7 laugh at me as my quad flew straight down into the ground after being inverted in the sun. Can't even look cool in front of two 7 year olds! HAH!
Jan 31, 2016, 08:07 PM
Armattan Spy
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmug
Awesome! I'm checking that out right now. Nothing to be embarrassed about. I literally had my twins who are 7 laugh at me as my quad flew straight down into the ground after being inverted in the sun. Can't even look cool in front of two 7 year olds! HAH!
Haha
That won't change either. Both My 14-year-old and 12-year-old boys refuse to go out with me in public sometimes

Quick Reply