Jan 31, 2016, 12:46 AM
Rogue User
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

Connecting Spektrum satellite receiver to SP Racing F3 flight control board

I couldn't find anything showing how to hook up the Spektrum satellite receiver to the SP Racing F3 flight control board, so I've created this post to help anyone else having trouble with it!

Before you get started, you can bind your satellite to your transmitter using a spectrum receiver, or see my second post if you want to bind in Cleanflight. If you're using one of the LemonRX satellites it's recommended to bind in Cleanflight and not by using a Spektrum receiver.

1. First I cut and soldered my Spektrum satellite wires to the flight control board, as shown in the pics. After soldering, I also power up the control board and get the multimeter onto my satellite wires just to be double sure I've got 3.3V power!

2. With the wires soldered and the satellite connected, you can plug the USB into your flight control board and connect to Cleanflight as you would normally.

3. Next you'll need to go to the configuration tab and enable SOFTSERIAL (you'll have to scroll to the bottom). Now click Save and Reboot. This step isn't needed.

4. Next you can go to the ports tab and enable the Serial RX for UART3 (that's the UART I chose to solder to). Click Save and Reboot.

5. Now you need to go back to the configuration tab (or receiver tab depending on your version of Cleanflight) and set receiver mode to RX_SERIAL and choose the Serial Receiver Provider, I chose SPEKTRUM2048 for my particular receiver. Click Save and Reboot.

6. Now you can go to the receiver tab and change the Channel Map to JR/Spektrum/Graupner which will show TAER1234 after you click it. Click Save and you should be all good!
Last edited by Mr Krinkle; Nov 14, 2016 at 02:38 AM. Reason: Updated with current info
to remove ads between posts
Jan 31, 2016, 03:04 AM
Rogue User
Thread OP

Binding satellite RX through Cleanflight

If you need to bind it through Cleanflight check out this youtube tutorial on how to do it (not my vid, just some random one I found trying to hook up my satellite receiver!)
Binding Spektrum Satellites with Cleanflight - all four modes (7 min 31 sec)
Feb 01, 2016, 01:58 AM
It's good to be geek!
Huge thanks!
Feb 03, 2016, 01:10 AM
Just a quick tip, the UART3 header on the SP racing F3 boards are 3.3v anyway, so you can utilise the UART3 header section for VCC also saves reaching over to the 3.3v pad.
Feb 03, 2016, 04:14 AM
Rogue User
Thread OP
Ok, I just looked at the manual and it does seem that way! Once I confirm (with voltmeter) I will update the first post! Thanks for the heads up, wish you were around when I was trying to figure it out

*EDIT- Measuring the voltage on my board (and feedback from others) the manual is INCORRECT, the UART3 is supplying 5V not 3.3V, so you do need to use the 3.3V pad to connect a Spektrum satellite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalgibbard
Just a quick tip, the UART3 header on the SP racing F3 boards are 3.3v anyway, so you can utilise the UART3 header section for VCC also saves reaching over to the 3.3v pad.
Last edited by Mr Krinkle; Mar 06, 2016 at 08:44 PM.
Feb 11, 2016, 02:37 AM
It's good to be geek!
OK, hopefully someone can help. I've tried this now with both a LemonRX and OrangeRX (both dsmx sat rx's), and on different FCs, and it's always the same. I'm starting to question my OrangeRX DSM2/DSMX module.

So, I am able to bind through cleanflight. In that way it works.
But when I go to the Receiver tab, all of the channels are at min, and there seems to be no way to change them. I read a post where they suggested for something similar to change the limits to 80%. Tried that and it had no effect.

To illustrate, this is what cleanflight's receiver tab looks like when the TX is off.
Name: TXoff.jpg
Views: 3431
Size: 401.5 KB
Description:

This is what it looks like when I turn on the TX and it binds with the RX:
Name: TXon.jpg
Views: 2661
Size: 397.5 KB
Description:

Anyone seen this before? Know what the problem is?
Feb 13, 2016, 07:14 AM
Rogue User
Thread OP
Haven't seen that before... I would just make sure you've chosen the correct serial provider (SPEKTRUM 1024 or 2048) to what you've bound the receiver.

Hope you work it out soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSatoV
OK, hopefully someone can help. I've tried this now with both a LemonRX and OrangeRX (both dsmx sat rx's), and on different FCs, and it's always the same. I'm starting to question my OrangeRX DSM2/DSMX module.

So, I am able to bind through cleanflight. In that way it works.
But when I go to the Receiver tab, all of the channels are at min, and there seems to be no way to change them. I read a post where they suggested for something similar to change the limits to 80%. Tried that and it had no effect.

To illustrate, this is what cleanflight's receiver tab looks like when the TX is off.
Attachment 8693942

This is what it looks like when I turn on the TX and it binds with the RX:
Attachment 8693943

Anyone seen this before? Know what the problem is?
Ok, so I pulled apart my quad today and took the opportunity to measure the UART 3 positive and negative. I'm getting 5V on that port, not 3.3V, so I'm going to stick with the 3.3V pad!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalgibbard
Last edited by Mr Krinkle; Mar 06, 2016 at 08:42 PM.
Feb 23, 2016, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Krinkle
Ok, so I pulled apart my quad today and took the opportunity to measure the UART 3 positive and negative. I'm getting 5V on that port, not 3.3V, so I'm going to stick with the 3.3V pad!
**EDIT: mine is a clone off eBay, so perhaps that's why I have 5V and not the 3.3V?
Gentlemen,

I would like to confirm this as I struggled with it as well:
- got the FC from myrcmart.com
- hooked up lemon DSMX satelitte like suggested in post #4
- bind via cleanflight did not work
- after classical bind still did not work (slow flashing)

- measured voltage = 5V
- resoldered to the 3.3V Pad (led pads) ... solid link/ led shining
- ... but strange readings in the cleanflight receiver tab (channels mixed up, no matter what I tried, right stick doesnt show any influence)
- ... set it to SPEKTRUM1024 in the configuration tab (I have a DX6i transmitter)
=> success

Thank you very much Mr Krinkle. This post led me to the solution!!

Respectfully
Feb 24, 2016, 09:14 PM
Rogue User
Thread OP
Glad it helped! I know how frustrating it can be trying to figure these things out!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues13
Gentlemen,

I would like to confirm this as I struggled with it as well:
- got the FC from myrcmart.com
- hooked up lemon DSMX satelitte like suggested in post #4
- bind via cleanflight did not work
- after classical bind still did not work (slow flashing)

- measured voltage = 5V
- resoldered to the 3.3V Pad (led pads) ... solid link/ led shining
- ... but strange readings in the cleanflight receiver tab (channels mixed up, no matter what I tried, right stick doesnt show any influence)
- ... set it to SPEKTRUM1024 in the configuration tab (I have a DX6i transmitter)
=> success

Thank you very much Mr Krinkle. This post led me to the solution!!

Respectfully
Mar 01, 2016, 08:46 PM
You guys rock on this thread. Going to attempt to finally wire and bind my lemon rx dsmx diversity satellite.

What I gather is:

1. 3.3v from 3.3v pad on back
2. Ground from UART3 ground
3. Rx to rx on UART3.
4. Bind at Spectrum 1024 instead of 2048.

Sound like a plan?
Mar 02, 2016, 04:41 PM
Rogue User
Thread OP
Sounds good, you should be able to run 2048 if you have a DSMX transmitter though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicBlue
You guys rock on this thread. Going to attempt to finally wire and bind my lemon rx dsmx diversity satellite.

What I gather is:

1. 3.3v from 3.3v pad on back
2. Ground from UART3 ground
3. Rx to rx on UART3.
4. Bind at Spectrum 1024 instead of 2048.

Sound like a plan?
Mar 02, 2016, 08:31 PM
I will need to wait until Friday to see which one works, when my replacement FC comes in the mail. Fried mine today because of a loose 12v wire
Mar 04, 2016, 05:05 PM
Finally got my new replacement board and wired up the satellite. Went into Cleanflight and bound the receiver with = 9 first.

Problem I am having is that the incorrect values are moving on the receiver tab of Cleanflight. For example:

Throttle is making AUX 2 go up and down.

I tried all the options listed and nothing seems to be correct. Anyone have any thoughts?

I have a Devo 7e running deviationtx.

P.S. I did also try 7 and it didn't seem to help either.
Mar 06, 2016, 03:04 AM
Rogue User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicBlue
Finally got my new replacement board and wired up the satellite. Went into Cleanflight and bound the receiver with = 9 first.

Problem I am having is that the incorrect values are moving on the receiver tab of Cleanflight. For example:

Throttle is making AUX 2 go up and down.

I tried all the options listed and nothing seems to be correct. Anyone have any thoughts?

I have a Devo 7e running deviationtx.

P.S. I did also try 7 and it didn't seem to help either.
I've heard of others with this problem:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonko
Deviation has a problem connecting to dsmx if you set less than 8 channels on your Devo TX.
Or at least some have this problem.
Must have something to do with telemetry as far as I understood it correctly.
So is there a way you can set the amount of channels out of your Devo TX? Sorry I'm only really familiar with Spektrum, so don't know anything about the Devos.
Mar 06, 2016, 10:36 AM
What I did was create a new model in my devo 7e and the bind that with the receiver and all of a sudden taer1234 is working perfect. So, the issue was definitely in the transmitter and not with the satellite, FC or cleanflight.

Still have a few issues to iron out in the transmitter. The yaw and roll are backwards and the left and right toggles are not responding. But these are issues with my configuration in Deviation tx.

p.s. Yes, you can select the number of channels in deviationtx, when you create or edit a model. You can add additional switches / channels to the 7e by doing a mod and adding in another toggle. It also has virtual channels. Not an expert at any of this yet, my next mission to figure out are the programming on the switches.

Quick Reply