Jan 30, 2016, 07:34 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Is there any battery drain with the battery hooked up to a plane with on/off switch?

I just got an Apprentice S and I will be doing its maiden flight tomorrow morning. The Apprentice S has something I wish every R/C model had - an on/off switch. Does anyone know for sure if there is any battery drain (more than there would be with the battery not connected to anything) with the battery installed and connected in the battery compartment with the switch in the off position?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 30, 2016, 08:48 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
Yes, it will drain. NEVER leave a pack connected to a rc plane when not in use.

Rick
Jan 30, 2016, 09:49 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampman
Yes, it will drain. NEVER leave a pack connected to a rc plane when not in use.

Rick
Thanks Rick, a newbie here so I am trying to accumulate as much knowledge as I can. I sort of answered the question this evening when I installed the battery in the battery compartment, had the switch off and connected the battery simply to see how easy it would be to do with the battery in place when I got to the field. As soon as I connected it, the plane started making some noises with the switch off and of course those noises cannot happen without power.
Jan 30, 2016, 10:04 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
The switch on the Apprentice is a "Motor Arming" switch, not an "On/Off" switch.
Jan 30, 2016, 10:14 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketsled666
The switch on the Apprentice is a "Motor Arming" switch, not an "On/Off" switch.
Thanks, I was not aware of that.
Jan 31, 2016, 10:39 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Most switches on electric RC planes do, at most, switch of the RC system. This reduces the drain to a minimum, but does not stop it completely. Best way to think of such a switch as a "danger off" switch.
Jan 31, 2016, 10:49 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez
Most switches on electric RC planes do, at most, switch of the RC system. This reduces the drain to a minimum, but does not stop it completely. Best way to think of such a switch as a "danger off" switch.
Thanks, that sounds like a sensible approach. Just got back from my maiden flight with the Apprentice. Went to intermediate mode almost immediately - beginner mode was too boring. Then with second battery, I went to experienced mode after a bit and started doing some aerobatics with it. Has to be the ideal learner in that having flown for not even 2 weeks, it was a piece of cake for me! Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised. I think it is the hours of flying on the Phoenix sim program that made it so easy!

Quick Reply