WLToys K929 1/18 desert buggy - RC Groups
Jan 30, 2016, 06:07 PM
Mini-Review

WLToys K929 1/18 desert buggy

I recently got a 1/18 scale rc desert buggy for myself to bomb around with. My wife had actually found interest in it so I wanted to get one for her as well so we could drive around together. The buggy I had bought has since sold out (with no intent to restock) so I got this. Its the WLToys 1/18 desert buggy that is built around the 1/18 9X9 chassis. This one is from Gearbest US. I think they run flash sales on it for $50 every once and a while. I just wanted to post some initial thoughts on it after opening it up and giving it a try.

Here is the box it came in. It was a little beat up in shipping but nothing was damaged on the inside.

After opening it up and removing the zip ties here is everything that was included. There is the car, a full size radio, charger, power cord (sadly it isn't a US cord) a wrench and the manual.

here is a quick look at the radio. Nothing fancy, just standard trims. I like that a full size radio was included as opposed to a smaller "cheaper" radio that seems to be common in some of these RTR models.

here is a photo with the body off. The body has 4 clips then hinges on the front bumper. I had to get a screw driver and remove the false spare tire to get at the rear clips. I can't see any other way to get them out without doing that. Over all, I was pleased with the layout and location of the electronics. Nothing really special, pretty much the standard 4wd chassis, but thats good, because it works. Shocks are decent, kind of sticky. They will need a little break in. Other items of note are the metal drive shafts from the diffs to the wheels which is a nice touch.

Here is a size comparison to my other 1/18 buggy. This one is a little bigger overall however the wheel base appears to be the same.

The weather is kind of nasty here in michigan right now. Its right around the freezing point and it was warmer today so its a bit slushy. The box says waterproof so I figured why not give it a shot.

I have to say, I was quite surprised at how quick this little buggy is. It feels nearly as quick as my 2s lipo brushless setup in my other one. It could drift nice on the wet concrete and powered through the icy slush pretty well. It got stuck a few times as it doesn't have tons of ground clearance but its not a 1/8 monster truck either so thats to be expected. The steering servo seems a little slow when just turning the wheels at a stand still but it seemed fine when it was moving. I'll take it to work this week and drive it around in the gym and see how it does there.

All in all its a surprisingly nice buggy. Much better than I was expecting. If you can get it for $50 on the flash deal, its well worth it, even at 60-70 I think its a solid deal for everything you get.

Pros:
- solid car for the price. Truly RTR
- build quality and layout
- speed, its surprisingly quick
- full size radio (this is really nice!)
- waterproof (i did check the ESC and it appears to be potted)
- wide stance. Should be less prone to roll over

Cons:
- looks, honestly, I think it looks a little funny but thats my opinion
- had to remove the fake tire to get at rear clips
- charger didn't have an adapter (may have ordered wrong though)

I will continue to run it in the next few days and update on anything good or bad. Feel free to ask questions and I will do my best to answer. Would like to hear others thoughts on the model if they own one as well.

I'm thinking of getting the SC body and bumpers so I can swap between the two. We will see!

Thanks!

Justin
Last edited by JUSS10B; Jan 30, 2016 at 08:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 01, 2016, 12:00 PM
Very Nice Review!
Feb 01, 2016, 09:04 PM
Thanks. It's actually a really well built car. There is also a host of upgrade parts available.

I'm going to try and get some video of it tomorrow against the brushless 1/18 car I took pictures next to it with.
Feb 09, 2016, 09:07 PM
So after a few more batteries I am really surprised with this car. I still don't have video, its been pretty wet here in michigan. However, today I took it for another spin. Its 24 degrees here and the gravel was frozen so it wouldn't get too muddy. I really bashed on it. I made a little ramp and started launching it. After tons of roll overs at full speed and even a full speed hit in to a retaining wall when I missed the ramp. Even in the cold, after all of this, all that broke was a little piece off the front bumper and I bent a shock shaft.

here is a stock basher shock next to it. You can see these are shorter. That said, I think longer ones would fit for longer travel.

The shock shaft seems to be pretty common on these smaller cars. I bent one on my basher 1/18 buggy as well. It was a pretty quick fix with a pair of pliers.

This is really a fun little buggy. I am really surprised how fast it is. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the bump steer due to the stiff shocks. May be worth trying to upgrade at some point.

Justin
Feb 29, 2016, 09:01 PM
This car is now in the Gearbest LA warehouse (California) Shipping time is 2-3 days to USA and it has free shipping. Currently it is $47.95
Feb 29, 2016, 09:28 PM
joexer you beat me to it. I was going to post the same thing.

This has been a solid, fun little buggy. It can really take a beating. It's perfect for racing and bombing around in smaller spaces. It's a blast racing around a ball diamond with friends.
Apr 22, 2016, 05:08 AM
WOW It's really cheap now.Only $38.99 on gearbest
May 15, 2016, 11:25 AM

Wltoys 9#9 series vehicles.

I have 4 of these trucks in different configurations, and like them very much. Have upgraded shocks on 2 of them.

Quick Reply