Jan 30, 2016, 03:05 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Royal Baron 58 twin

My father built this for a gentleman in the very early 80's. It had twin webra 40's in it. Well last year my buddy was surfing local craigslist and there it was. I instantly noticed the plane and made a phone call. It so happens it checked out. It was the grandson selling it. His grandpa passed away and this plane was hanging in the office unflown since my dad built it!!

So we test ran it and it fired right up but the tanks burst. Luckily no wood was effected. So with that and wanting a reliable twin we converted it to electric. It is powered by power 32's, (2) 4s 4000 packs. After we spent weeks getting everything aligned. We test flew it with no covering to see how it would fly electric. It flew great and sounded cool too. Now it was time to restore it and I decided to add some scale details and update it.

The cool thing is my dad is also restoring it. Hard to believe it lasted 30 yrs. this is the point where we are and how it looked as it was found.

I'm proud my dad built it. Proud he is restoring it. And it flies great. 8.5 pounds fully loaded. And it's a ubber rare plane.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 30, 2016, 03:21 PM
Thread OP
Also scored a New canopy
Jan 31, 2016, 12:29 AM
Gravity sucks.
Looking good. Those things were pretty heavy, so you weight looks really good!
Jan 31, 2016, 02:28 AM
Suspended Account
I remember the Royal 58, in fact I had a Royal C47 a loooong time ago, Marutaka kits, real nice quality.
Nice story that was
Jan 31, 2016, 07:17 AM
Thread OP
They can get get heavy when you load them with retracts and flaps and all that. My dad never built it that way. I wanted to add them but after flying it and it being so light. It floats on landings. Plus I plan to fly it a lot. So no other stuff to give me hassles and that jazz. It would have looked super sweet, but I'm staying as true as I can to the way it was built. Just adding some details.
Jan 31, 2016, 07:17 AM
Thread OP
The few of these I have seen loaded up weight was 12-14 pounds.
Feb 01, 2016, 09:12 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashEMhard
The few of these I have seen loaded up weight was 12-14 pounds.
Here is how we flew it after it was converted to electric to test it out before restoration.
Feb 01, 2016, 09:31 PM
Thread OP
Tonight I made some hinged doors for scale appearance for my non retractable landing gear Baron 58. Lol

But I built them and even covered them myself. Haven't touched a covering iron in 15 yrs
Feb 01, 2016, 09:45 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashEMhard
Tonight I made some hinged doors for scale appearance for my non retractable landing gear Baron 58. Lol

But I built them and even covered them myself. Haven't touched a covering iron in 15 yrs
Had to get these too. Didn't want to dish out $ for real ones.
Feb 02, 2016, 03:51 AM
Suspended Account
Looking good Doing a great job there

The 58 was the best piston twin I had flown, the 200 was the best turbine, Beech, built like tanks & fly like Rolls Royce's in the air
Feb 02, 2016, 09:04 AM
Thread OP
Ya it should be sweet when done. Need to get the main gear done. Paint in all the graphics. Get the exhaust done. And some decals. May also airbrush the bottom to look kinda scale and dirty.
Feb 02, 2016, 09:04 AM
Thread OP
[QUOTE=crashEMhard;33892421]Ya it should be sweet when done. Need to get the main gear done. Paint in all the graphics. Get the exhaust done. And some decals. May also airbrush the bottom to look kinda scale and dirty.
Feb 02, 2016, 07:39 PM
Thread OP
Nice
Feb 02, 2016, 09:25 PM
Thread OP
Not only do they look cool they function as well. Pops did a great job hand making these! Inlet above the batteries and a exit below.
Feb 03, 2016, 08:23 PM
Thread OP
What's everyone think so far

Quick Reply