Jul 18, 2019, 11:22 AM
Happy Flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor Trails
Why do your day that? Simply because nobody provided you're an update?

Or have your learned of factual information that we do not know of? What was your source of information?

I haven't posted of my vectored thrust slick build in a long time... Does not mean it is dead!
I have no idea what your trying to say. You need to re-read what you type.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 18, 2019, 03:40 PM
This project looks cool, looking forward to see how you finish it. Ps, I donīt think that Smokengun meant it in a mean way.
Jul 18, 2019, 04:39 PM
This Project is NOT Dead, Just Sleeping....LOL ! Brian, It was an HONOR meeting/speaking with you at "JetJam"" ! The L-39 was awesome, and it was a shame the Falcon swallowed a thrust tube. You borrowed my air-gun, when yours met it's maker..... Best of Luck in ALL your future endevours, including the "380". James.
Jul 30, 2019, 09:09 PM
full time builder
Thread OP
Hello James,
We had a good time at the jet Jam and I just got on here to update everyone on the progress and you have a photo of the L39 already. That is great.

Here is the update from my last try. I put one of the 215 motors in the L39 and it ended up sitting for several years. I took it up to the Jam because I knew that Christian would be there and we could look it over before flying it. The time sitting caused all sorts of problems and it was Saturday before it flew. The 215 is a MONSTER of a motor. We wanted 50 lbs of thrust and got 56. It flew great in the hands of Ali. I had some cutting done on my left thumb and it has not healed enough to fly, so I asked Ali to do it. If you have Ali, you really ought to use the talent. He did a great job

The plane is a Tomahawk with a 14S system 20.000 Mah It has electric gears from Down and Locked. It has a 20 ch receiver and one of the new gyros. Flaps were a big help and it flew well. We are going to put some flights on the plane and then talk about the 380.

The project is not dead

The second plane is a Falcon 6X from Aviation Design and it needed some motor work before it flew. I did some temporary ductwork and tried to taxi it. The right motor sucked the ductwork into the fan. No damage done. I learned a lot from Christain and I thought I would pass it along to yall.

1) if you have an open system, you must use a flange on the front of the motor. without it you will loose 1/3 of the power !! WOW
2) If you have a closed system (Ductwork to the front of the motor) you must cover the walls of the motor case. If you do not, you will give up 20%

I have put in as many Schubelers as anyone, and I still check with Christain for information. We are so lucky to have him!

I have hope that I will soon be able to discuss some of the other planes we have done with electrics:

Krazy Karl started a huge G650 and I had the honor to finish it. It is the last word in cool

The 747 Virgin Airlines done by Mr.Pitz was sent to me for conversion to electric. The plane is beautiful and Mr. Pitz is a master. The plane looks like Peter built it. It will fly soon and it has 10% more power than it has with the jets in it

There is another 747 that is dressed as Airforce One it is 10 feet long and looks good

A DC9 was bought in Europe and we converted it to electric. That is a real story

More as I learn about it
Brian
Jul 31, 2019, 09:30 AM
I was wondering if you could clarify what you mean by "If you have a closed system (Ductwork to the front of the motor) you must cover the walls of the motor case. If you do not, you will give up 20%".

What sort of covering on the walls of the motor case?

Thanks!
Jul 31, 2019, 01:41 PM
full time builder
Thread OP

closed system

Hey Karl,

In the closed system there are ducts that bring the air to the motor front. Think of an L39 that has real intakes, The ductwork would come in from the left and right side and meet in front of the motor, That ductwork would then go over the outside of the motor casing and would measure just slightly bigger than the OD of the case.

If you were to look into the ductwork at the front of the motor you would see the front edge of the motor casing . This would be 1/8 thick and the edge would be something the air flowing into the front of the motor would trip over rather than going smoothly into the fan. The turbulence would cost you power.

Most systems are open, which means there is no ductwork on the intake side. The picture below shows the motors in the Concorde we did some years ago. The motor is mounted and the flange is not on the front of the motor. You can see the front edge of the motor casing, it is white. The flange fits so that it covers the front edge and the ductwork has to cover it too.

I have no photos of the inside of the ductwork. I hope this helps
Jul 31, 2019, 09:06 PM
I get it now. I agree completely. It makes perfect sense that the more seamless the transition from inlet duct to motor shroud with no lip, the more efficiency and power you'll realize.
Aug 01, 2019, 01:51 AM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
OK, all of this is nice... but is the A-380 still being completed, and is there an ETA?

Jack
Aug 02, 2019, 05:58 PM
full time builder
Thread OP
The first step was flying the l 39 for more than one flight. Once that is done, the decision will be made on the timing. I believe it will fly but the schedule is insane and it still might be a while before I get the green light.
I wish I had a schedule
Aug 29, 2019, 01:38 PM
Pro Hoarder
You may want to improve your terminology. You are referring to the fan housing as the motor housing...Not the same part of the propulsion system...Makes for a very confusing explanation.
Latest blog entry: In flight
Sep 15, 2019, 10:40 AM
full time builder
Thread OP
Good point on the terms. I think of the entire unit as the motor and that is really not the right term.

So the fan housing is what I was referring to and the better explanation is likely on the Schubeler site. They deal with the open and closed question all the time.

Thanks for the note
Brian

Quick Reply