Jan 31, 2016, 08:06 AM
Give me a TriStar anyday!
For christ's sake get your heads out of your asses and stop letting your criticism of the aesthetics of this aircraft take away from what it just might mean for the advancement of our hobby. I've seen many projects on here that we've questionably praised and encouraged the builders on because that's frankly what this forum was meant for. We hear in the news everyday about how some idiot encroached on commercial airspace just to take a picture and in so doing we now have a skewed public perception of anything using a transmitter and have to register to take part in something that in the past we enjoyed freely. This project breaks ground on so many different levels propulsion, structure, size....it would be a shame to miss out on this builders vision because we've unknowingly clouded ours. No matter how good we think we are at this there will always be someone that can show us something. Please continue sir I'm definately subbed.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 31, 2016, 12:45 PM
Altitude is my friend...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAKIAM949
For Christ's sake get your heads out of your asses and stop letting your criticism of the aesthetics of this aircraft take away from what it just might mean for the advancement of our hobby....Please continue sir, I'm definitely subbed.
Jealousy. Nothing more. That's all these ridiculous nasty replies are about.

Ignore them, Panther. Carry on.
Jan 31, 2016, 02:39 PM
full time builder
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Depronicus
Jealousy. Nothing more. That's all these ridiculous nasty replies are about.

Ignore them, Panther. Carry on.
Thanks, we are very proud of the plane and were so happy to be able to start this thread to discuss it. I need some discussion from you guys so that the stuff I post covers what you guys are interested in. There are reams of data that would only solve your insomnia problems, and I do not want to waste time on things that are not interesting to yall.

One of the main points here is that there is a structural difference between a 15 foot plane and a 20 foot. It is a new deal at 20'.
Jan 31, 2016, 08:01 PM
full time builder
Thread OP
Just to be sure I am clear about the plane --

The shape of the plane came from Airbus and it is not the version in production today. There are always versions on planes and this is no different.

The landing gears are not done. Once we have motors and can fully load the plane, we will look at the wing deflection and set the load on the 5 landing gears. Only then can we lower the plane to the right height. The landing gear is not done
Feb 01, 2016, 01:56 AM
Panther
I for one wanted to know and learn what I don't know regarding building a such large model out of foam. I have been building large scale models with foam but not as large as this model!.
Sure ur model is built after one of concept variants of proposed A3XX during it's on going designing phase. Thanks for clearing this to us. Now I look forward how rest of the build progressed to it's completion.

Why didn't you guys glassed over the foam directly instead of skinning it with balsa wood first. I glass my model with and wood and it has been working out great for me. We're there any specific reasons...

Does tube under the floors runs entire length of the fuselage or just in center section where all the loads will be put on the airplane...

At 300 lbs, how many batteries will be used to power 4 super large edfs that would produce 30 lbs of thrust each....
Feb 01, 2016, 04:13 AM
airliner-rc.ru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther 45
The shape of the plane came from Airbus and it is not the version in production today.
That is why I sad that it is not A380.
Agree with Concordefan3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concordefan3
Sure ur model is built after one of concept variants of proposed A3XX during it's on going designing phase.
In spite of this it is a very interesting project.
It would be interesting to see the construction of fairing of the outer section of flaps and construction of leading edge slats.
Feb 01, 2016, 06:13 AM
full time builder
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concordefan3
Panther
I for one wanted to know and learn what I don't know regarding building a such large model out of foam. I have been building large scale models with foam but not as large as this model!.
Sure ur model is built after one of concept variants of proposed A3XX during it's on going designing phase. Thanks for clearing this to us. Now I look forward how rest of the build progressed to it's completion.

Why didn't you guys glassed over the foam directly instead of skinning it with balsa wood first. I glass my model with and wood and it has been working out great for me. We're there any specific reasons...

Does tube under the floors runs entire length of the fuselage or just in center section where all the loads will be put on the airplane...

At 300 lbs, how many batteries will be used to power 4 super large edfs that would produce 30 lbs of thrust each....
The glass or wood decision was one we thought about. I have done it both ways on large planes and we wanted structure first. We decided on wood for that reason. Glass over the wood had a weight penalty and for the prototype plane, we decided on covering over the wood

There are three tubes in the fuse and they are full length as far as the shape will allow. Didn't want them to stick out of the fuse

Batteries are pairs of 7cells 5000 mah. Total of 32 fit in the compartment and the weight would be around 78# counting plugs and wires
Feb 01, 2016, 06:19 AM
full time builder
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_fish
That is why I sad that it is not A380.
Agree with Concordefan3

In spite of this it is a very interesting project.
It would be interesting to see the construction of fairing of the outer section of flaps and construction of leading edge slats.
Flap construction is on the way in the wing section.

For the prototype plane, we did not include leading edge slats. They are designed and ready for future planes. We decided on slats that pivot from below the leading edge rather than the slide option.
Feb 01, 2016, 09:18 AM
airliner-rc.ru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther 45
Flap construction is on the way in the wing section.
Thank you, Sir.
Earlier you wrote about "full Fowler flap". Can you make photo of flap fairing to show construction and kinematic. On this photo not Fowler flap, it is slotted flap, but these are different things. Or is this photo of prototype, not of model? It is very interesting for me how you realized Fowler flap on swept wing. Thanks.

Mike
Feb 01, 2016, 09:32 AM
full time builder
Thread OP
The flaps were a problem because we were not doing the leading edge slats. The question was what would happen if we did Fowler or Slotted flaps with a stationary leading edge. Our best judgement was to go to the modified slotted flap and hinge it below the bottom surface of the wing.

This will give us the air brake component we think we will need to slow it down for landing. The full scale 380 pilot I interviewed said it lands like a sail plane and carries energy onto the final approach.

Photos show the mock up of the flap operation. I will find some shots of the wing and include them.
Feb 01, 2016, 09:49 AM
airliner-rc.ru
thanks
Feb 01, 2016, 10:43 AM
full time builder
Thread OP

The Tail Section

The tail section was the reasonable starting place and seemed very much like building wings for a 43% Carden. I consulted with several experts on the structure for the tail and the wings.

Mack Hodges and John Monaghan built and flew the big B29 and their thoughts were a big help regarding strength vs weight.

We decided on one wing tube in the stabs and one in the vert stab. The tubes were set and the servo bays and hinge lines were drawn on the foam. The foam halves were glued together along with the phenolic tubes. A special foam glue was used to ensure the strength of the surfaces was at the max.

The shucks were CNC cut and the assembly went along well.
Feb 01, 2016, 11:02 AM
full time builder
Thread OP

Tail Section

The foam layout is key and the photos show the style of servo bays in the tail section. There were cut outs made with a hot wire and a template. Hard wood was glued in the slots and the holes filled with foam so that the vac bag would not cave the servo bays in.

The three surfaces were then skinned, vac bagged, and weight placed on the shucks to ensure they were straight

After the glue up of the surfaces, they were trimmed and the moving surfaces were cut and framed with balsa. The servo bays and mounts were opened and the surfaces were sanded and processed per normal process.

The tail surfaces were then set aside so that the rear section of the fuse could be built to support the three tubes from the tail assembly.
Feb 01, 2016, 11:34 AM
WOW what a huge project. Something cool to follow.

Curious question. What kind of flight times are expected/ hoped for?
Rick
Feb 01, 2016, 12:04 PM
airliner-rc.ru
wing airfoil? how much dihedral of root and tip?

Quick Reply