Jan 29, 2016, 09:08 PM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Discussion

Bait and Switch at Walmart

Walmart opened a "Neighborhood Market" in the small town of Whitewright Texas, which resulted in the closing of the only other grocer in town nine months after Walmart opened. Now, a year later, Walmart is closing and the closed store can't afford to reopen. So the town residents now have to go to the closest store around, a Walmart 22 miles away.

Stunning.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/walmart-...wns-employees/
Jan 29, 2016, 09:11 PM
Don't look at me like that....
My biggest gripe about Walmart is, as soon as I find something I really like, they discontinue the damn things.
I mean, It's like " hey look, Tom likes that, lets not ever order anymore, ever."
Jan 29, 2016, 09:42 PM
Sounds like a good opportunity for someone to open a store.
Jan 29, 2016, 09:44 PM
No Country for Snowflake Men
I bet those meanies in the Walton family did that just to screw that town over...those big poopie heads.
Jan 29, 2016, 09:46 PM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRunner_1492
Sounds like a good opportunity for someone to open a store.
If Walmart couldn't afford to stay in business, it doesn't sound like much of an opportunity to me. The old store was probably on their way out anyways, but could have stayed in business longer had Walmart not come along.
Jan 29, 2016, 09:47 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder1
Walmart opened a "Neighborhood Market" in the small town of Whitewright Texas, which resulted in the closing of the only other grocer in town nine months after Walmart opened. Now, a year later, Walmart is closing and the closed store can't afford to reopen. So the town residents now have to go to the closest store around, a Walmart 22 miles away.

Stunning.

Bet they wish they hadn't let the old store go belly up, huh. Blame them, not Walmart.
Jan 29, 2016, 09:48 PM
Registered User Wannabe
Perhaps the residents are being rewarded for their lack of loyalty to ""Pettit's," the mom and pop grocery that was a mainstay in this small town for nearly 60 years."

Closed Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
Bet they wish they hadn't let the old store go belly up, huh. Blame them, not Walmart.
Walmart gets the blame for entering into a market where they must have known would not have supported their store, and shutting the competition down. Just to get that little extra business from them.
Jan 29, 2016, 10:26 PM
No Country for Snowflake Men
Quote:
Walmart gets the blame for entering into a market where they must have known would not have supported their store, and shutting the competition down. Just to get that little extra business from them.
q.e.d.
Jan 29, 2016, 10:41 PM
WAA-08 Survivor
Attention depressed liberals and anti-capitalists:
Sometimes even the most successful companies make a misstep.

I assure you they didn't open up and shut down any store JUST to make you sad.
Jan 29, 2016, 10:43 PM
Quote:
If Walmart couldn't afford to stay in business, it doesn't sound like much of an opportunity to me. The old store was probably on their way out anyways, but could have stayed in business longer had Walmart not come along.
So then Walmart really didn't change anything.
Jan 29, 2016, 10:44 PM
Quote:

Stunning.

I wished the closest store to me was 22 miles.

I figured you would be happy that Walmart is closing.
Jan 29, 2016, 10:53 PM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRunner_1492
So then Walmart really didn't change anything.
Except the other store closed maybe years sooner than it otherwise would have, if at all. They had been in business for 60 years, so they must have been doing something right.
Jan 29, 2016, 10:54 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Quote:
C'mon now, do you really believe WM would buld a store they knew wouldn't survive just to torpedo a local business?

You must really hate them to come up with such a ridiculous idea.
Jan 29, 2016, 10:56 PM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooroo
I wished the closest store to me was 22 miles.
You could probably move somewhere the nearest Walmart was at least 22 miles away from you. So your wish is likely within your power to achieve.

Quote:
I figured you would be happy that Walmart is closing.
Why would you figure that?

Quick Reply