Jan 29, 2016, 04:26 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Kansas RC Barnstormers Race, June 11 & 12

The RC Barnstormers, Hillsdale, Kansas, will be hosting two days of racing on June 11th and 12th. There is no flyer just yet but getting the word out and finding out the level of interest in flying EF1 on one of the days. Both days will be the short course.

We would like to have 424 and 426 one day, and EF-1 and 426 the other. The current plan would be to hold 424 on Saturday and EF1 on Sunday. If you have any interest in flying EF1 please respond here or PM me.

The flying field is located at Hillsdale Lake State park which has camping on site a few miles from the field. It may be possible to camp on site at the flying field and I will update when I know for sure.

If you plan to race that weekend, post the usual; name, class, and teammate.

Cheers
Doug, AKA FTD
to remove ads between posts
Feb 01, 2016, 01:58 PM
DHG
DHG
Kinetic Sculptor
Doug,

Glad to hear you guys are going to host one again this year! We had a great time last year, nice site, excellent competition! The EF1 was particularly good, except for one guy who kept trying to trade paint with me ... hey, wait, that was YOU !!!

Seriously, we (meaning the Colorado group) are in negotiation now to try & arrange a charter flight out there. A little more duct tape on the canvas & we should have it knocked!

Cheers,
Duane
Feb 01, 2016, 02:40 PM
Thread OP
Duct tape and Canvas...does that mean open cockpit and 80 kts?
Feb 01, 2016, 06:12 PM
DHG
DHG
Kinetic Sculptor
Minus any headwind, yes!
Feb 01, 2016, 10:06 PM
Thread OP
Can't wait to see you in scarf and goggles. .
Apr 12, 2016, 10:58 AM

RC Barnstormers Q500/EF1 racing, June 11-12

Here's the race flyer, with details on classes, and location for the race.

we did have a great turnout and great time last year, so we're hoping to repeat this year, with even more folks!

Come race with us!
Apr 18, 2016, 04:52 PM
I am planning to check with a local hotel, see if I can make arrangments for a block of rooms to be available.

If I had a head count, it might make it easier to hold rooms.

Some folks stayed at the Quality Inn up the road a ways, the south side of Olathe, KS. That's the one I was thinking of contacting.

For those that want to, camping should be available at the Hillsdale Lake State park, just across the other side of the main road across the dam.

Some folks have started signing up on the NMPRA website, you can either post there, here, or another well-known RC modeling forum, and I'll start compiling a list of pilots.

C'mon out and race with us!
Apr 18, 2016, 05:34 PM

a couple nearby hotels

OK - some nearby hotels.

South Olathe, KS (~20-25 mins from the field)
QUALITY INN & SUITES
15475 S. Rogers Rd, Olathe, KS, 66062, US
Phone: (913) 948-9000

Paola, KS -
~15 mins from field.
Paola Inn and Suites
http://www.paolainn.com
913-294-3700

By the way, Paola is also home to Beethoven's #9, a pretty darned good local German restaurant. Quite a few of the out of town folks like eating there while they're in the area.
Apr 22, 2016, 10:03 AM

good news!

Keep those entries coming, folks!

Good news - Hobbico has agreed to provide some interesting sponsorship for the race, so there will be a raffle drawing similar to last year's raffle. Each paid event entry gets a ticket, so the more events you participate in, the better your chances of winning something that you'll enjoy..

More details as they develop, but it's good news!
Jun 06, 2016, 10:29 AM
I've heard of a few more people that are planning on coming, so that's great!

C'mon out to Hillsdale and race with us, should be a fun weekend.

Hobbico has donated a Kunai ARF glider as our raffle prize, so there's a chance at that, too! the Kunai is a pretty slick powered glider, one of our club members has one and I've been tempted to pick one up myself!

good racing,
Gordon
Jun 13, 2016, 02:58 PM
DHG
DHG
Kinetic Sculptor
Thanks, Barnstormers! You put on a great contest with good help & a beautiful facility. The charging station for EF1 was a big plus. Glad to see that Kunai find a good home with one of the officials, who also mentioned that he'd like to get into racing himself. That's how it happens!

Cheers,
Duane
Jun 13, 2016, 04:12 PM
Thread OP
I was glad for the guy (Mike) that won the raffle. New club member and his brother not even e member yet, both put in long days with a few others. I had met him the week earlier at the pattern contest that our club was hosting. We got to talking and he asked if we needed help for the weekend. I didn't hear about him mentioning that he'd like to get into racing himself. I suppose Gordon and I could be a 'bad' influence on him.
Jun 13, 2016, 05:58 PM
DHG
DHG
Kinetic Sculptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightTestDummy
I suppose Gordon and I could be a 'bad' influence on him.
Oh, I see a big, slow, floating softball coming at me ... nah, too easy!
Jun 13, 2016, 09:29 PM
Thread OP
Batter up!!!

If he is interested we will certainly help him out. He did say that he does like the gliders but maybe we can sway him. I will let him do some flying with one of my 424 birds one of these days if he wants to.
Last edited by FlightTestDummy; Jun 14, 2016 at 07:21 AM.
Jun 25, 2016, 10:08 PM
KJD
KJD
Suspended Account
Just found this forum.
I'd like to add my thanks to the Kansas RC Barnstormers. This was the first pylon race I've attended since 1993. I know it showed and I'd like to thank the folks for not mentioning it!

I too was ecstatic that a worker (Mike) won the kit. Now lets be honest. There really isn't a nickels difference between turning a pylon verses coring out a thermal. Both are at the max LD trying to avoid a tip stall. It won't take much before Mike starts to bring home all the hardware!
Last edited by KJD; Jun 26, 2016 at 01:17 PM. Reason: To add a "the"

Quick Reply