Jan 28, 2016, 01:14 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Gee I thought FAA registration was going to address this

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/busi...e56954443.html
to remove ads between posts
Jan 28, 2016, 01:54 PM
Recreational Model Plane Pilot
We all knew it wouldn't but we have to do it ourselves.
Only you can prevent risky flyers.
Jan 28, 2016, 02:06 PM
Team Futaba
The FAA has been clear that the primary point of registration is accountability. But even on that point it fails.
Jan 28, 2016, 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erospawn
It's hard to register a drone that probably didn't even exist.
Jan 28, 2016, 02:22 PM
Look up in the sky..it's a bird...it's a plane...it's a drone!! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!
Why simply react, when you can over react?
Jan 28, 2016, 02:33 PM
An Unmanned Undevice?
Jan 28, 2016, 09:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrd
Why simply react, when you can over react?
Textbook definition of Government!
Jan 28, 2016, 10:26 PM
#fpvlife
Quote:
Originally Posted by erospawn
The fact that it didn't should be used as evidence in Mr. Taylor's case against the FAA.
Jan 28, 2016, 11:15 PM
Suspended Account
Yeah, you guys are right, clearly there is a need to do way more regulation.

Perhaps even a complete ban.

I'd almost say lets all get to work on that to make sure that happens, but seems plenty around here are already working on that 24/7.
Jan 28, 2016, 11:46 PM
Email Bill Nelson and give him a piece of your mind. Ask him why registration didn't stop this.
Jan 28, 2016, 11:49 PM
Hawk Fanatic
It's amazing how none of these close encounters with planes don't show up on YouTube from the drone operators. Why are these supposed drone operators flying near planes to begin with? For the footage obviously. I don't believe that there is nearly as many drone sightings as purported.
Jan 29, 2016, 12:11 AM
Are you stupid enough, to post video that would most likely, get you arrested and charged??? These people maybe: careless, reckless, idiots, but I don't think that they are, that stupid.
Jan 29, 2016, 12:30 AM
Hawk Fanatic
That's my point. Why would you fly in a path of an airplane? To play chicken? To just say this was the only place I could fly? No, it's because they want to capture that picture or that video of something they deem awesome. I've seen one video so far on YouTube. I don't really think it's happening to the extent that these pilots and news media say it's happening. They're also not going to keep it to themselves, they're going to share it otherwise it just doesn't do anything for them to keep it to themselves. By sharing it, it'll get out there for the public to see, but it's not out there like they say it is.
Jan 29, 2016, 09:45 AM
That thing almost hit me
From what I've seen, most "drone" videos are like being forced to watch somebody's footage of their family reunion or vacation.
Jan 29, 2016, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFlyer
That's my point. Why would you fly in a path of an airplane? To play chicken? To just say this was the only place I could fly? No, it's because they want to capture that picture or that video of something they deem awesome. I've seen one video so far on YouTube. I don't really think it's happening to the extent that these pilots and news media say it's happening. They're also not going to keep it to themselves, they're going to share it otherwise it just doesn't do anything for them to keep it to themselves. By sharing it, it'll get out there for the public to see, but it's not out there like they say it is.
These "near misses" are probably nothing more than a person flying their drone for fun in a park. They just happen to live in close proximity to an airport. They are probably not getting terribly close to the aircraft but pilots have been instructed by the FAA to report all sightings.

In 99% of these cases there's probably plenty of separation and zero threat to the aircraft. The FAA just wants to be able to blow things out of proportion so they can regulate.

How many people with a $500-$1000 worth of hardware are going to risk hitting an airplane with it?

Quick Reply