Pro Boat Zelos 36 Twin Catamaran BL RTR - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

Pro Boat Zelos 36 Twin Catamaran BL RTR

Nuremberg 2016 is bringing some awesome new releases from the Horizon Hobby camp. The new Pro Boat Zelos Twin is one of them.

Pro Boat Zelos 36 Twin Catamaran BL RTR

Straight from Nuremberg 2016

The second offering under the Zelos name is a 36" twin brushless-powered catamaran with advertised speeds upwards of 60+ mph. The Zelos 36 Twin Catamaran BL RTR from Pro Boat comes with a pistol grip Spektrum DX2E transmitter, and a pair of potent 36mm x 62mm counter-rotating brushless 6-Pole, 2000Kv motors. A pair of 120-AMP (6S LiPo compatible) brushless water-cooled ESCs are also standard with the Zelos Twin. The hull is 36" long, with a beam of 11.75", and it requires a pair of 11.1V 5000mAh 3S 50C LiPo packs.

CLICK HERE for more info on the new Pro Boat Zelos Twin

Pro Boat Zelos™ 36 Twin Catamaran BL RTR (1 min 52 sec)

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Jan 29, 2016 at 11:46 AM..
Feb 12, 2016, 12:46 PM
Bar none the best rtr boat I have seen from any manufacturer! This is a winner !!!! Great job Rafael and proboat!!!!
Feb 18, 2016, 02:26 PM
Go fast, pull up.
I blame Jmscard for getting me started and Horizon for feeding the addiction. That said, I am pre ordering this boat!
Last edited by Fidelity101; Feb 18, 2016 at 03:34 PM.
Feb 18, 2016, 02:58 PM
Matt there is a point in life where we have to come to grips that we're responsible for our own actions...

On another I'm preordering as well... But that doesn't mean everyone should, I mean if you don't like having fun don't order!

Jason
Feb 18, 2016, 03:39 PM
Go fast, pull up.
"I'm responsible for my own actions" is harder to justify than "Horizon made me do it".

I've got to admit, these FE boats are a blast! Definitely more fun with more people...so everyone in the Buffalo area should buy one (blame me later) and head on over to the Lake by the UB North campus.
Feb 18, 2016, 05:42 PM
Product Developer-Pro Boat
Hey Guys, It's great to see 2 people feeding off each other's enjoyment of the hobby.

I'm relieved to see the response this boat is getting. The boat is not just a straight line boat, but has that "drifter" characteristic that our 29" boats have so it does great in case you want to race it. It runs super smooth and is very easy to tune. I'm sure you guys have seen the video of the boat being driven by several people. Just in case you haven't seen the video, here is is. And if you've already seen it, then it will just feed the hunger even more, lol.
Pro Boat Zelos 36 Twin PRB08021 (3 min 2 sec)
Feb 18, 2016, 07:05 PM
Go fast, pull up.
Thanks for sharing that video.

I looked around for a twin engine catamaran last year and ended up buying some parts to do it myself. Because I'm new(ish) to the world of FE boats, I ended up buying several different motors trying to find the best efficiency and performance for 5S or 6S operation. Outrunners were great, but hard to cool so I had to source cooling blocks. I later switched over to 2 pole inrunners, but I still needed to research props (2 or 3 blade, pitch, diameter). Then came the question of what ESC's to purchase plus all the hardware. Even after buying all the parts and building it, I still had to find someone to paint it. By the time I was done, I was north of $2000.

Your team at ProBoat delivered everything I was looking for AND kept it under $650, which is amazing!
Last edited by Fidelity101; Feb 18, 2016 at 07:17 PM.
Feb 19, 2016, 01:16 AM
Product Developer-Pro Boat
Fidelity101, your experience is the perfect example of the reason why we built this project. We wanted to give customers that custom boat experience without the need to sell a kidney. This is the boat that I always dreamed of building in my garage but could never afford to. I'm greatful that I was finally able to build that dream boat of mine, and share it with the world.
Mar 04, 2016, 01:36 PM
Go fast, pull up.
The manual calls for a total of 4 (2S or 3S lipos) but the review by Matt suggests you need a "pair" of 3S lipos. I'm guessing that depends on how you want to wire the ESC's together? The manual states that a Y adapter is included.

I'm asking because I'm trying go get everything ready for the eventual delivery of this boat (I pre-ordered from Horizon). I have a pair of 3S 5000mah 50C batteries with Traxxas connectors so I could convert them over to EC5 connectors. Alternatively, I could buy a pair of 6S 5000mah lipos and do away with the whole Y harness in the first place and have a dedicated 6S pack for each ESC.

My question is, how did you run the boat? What battery configuration? Is there a wide range of battery (total weight) that I can get away with? I'm all about keeping things simple and running 4 batteries on my larger boats (10S 12400mah total setup using 4 batteries in 10S2P configuration) is not what I would call "simple". 8 gauge wire, 6mm bullet connectors...but it's needed because I'm pulling close to 250A.

A very friendly chap on rctech.net sold me some 2S batteries and we had a long discussion on how running two 3S batteries with a Y harness was a bad idea when dealing with high amperage. He strongly preferred a 6S battery pack vs. 2 3S packs when running anything over 75A and I'm guessing this boat is pulling somewhere around 100A per ESC? Running a pair of batteries in series and then using those batteries to power both ESC's could result in amp draw north of 200A, which would be really pushing the limits of EC5 connectors. Because of this, I can see why powering each ESC separately would make life a lot easier as EC5 connectors shouldn't have any problem handling 120A of current.

Long story short, I would like to run 2 6S 5000mah batteries in this boat if possible, but I'm not sure of the weight and size restrictions. This information isn't listed in the review or the manual and it would definitely be helpful for those of us that pre ordered.
Last edited by Fidelity101; Mar 04, 2016 at 01:42 PM.
Mar 04, 2016, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelity101
The manual calls for a total of 4 (2S or 3S lipos) but the review by Matt suggests you need a "pair" of 3S lipos. I'm guessing that depends on how you want to wire the ESC's together? The manual states that a Y adapter is included.

I'm asking because I'm trying go get everything ready for the eventual delivery of this boat (I pre-ordered from Horizon). I have a pair of 3S 5000mah 50C batteries with Traxxas connectors so I could convert them over to EC5 connectors. Alternatively, I could buy a pair of 6S 5000mah lipos and do away with the whole Y harness in the first place and have a dedicated 6S pack for each ESC.

My question is, how did you run the boat? What battery configuration? Is there a wide range of battery (total weight) that I can get away with? I'm all about keeping things simple and running 4 batteries on my larger boats (10S 12400mah total setup using 4 batteries in 10S2P configuration) is not what I would call "simple". 8 gauge wire, 6mm bullet connectors...but it's needed because I'm pulling close to 250A.

A very friendly chap on rctech.net sold me some 2S batteries and we had a long discussion on how running two 3S batteries with a Y harness was a bad idea when dealing with high amperage. He strongly preferred a 6S battery pack vs. 2 3S packs when running anything over 75A and I'm guessing this boat is pulling somewhere around 100A per ESC? Running a pair of batteries in series and then using those two batteries to power both ESC's could result in amp draw north of 200A, which would be really pushing the limits of EC5 connectors. Because of this, I can see why powering each ESC separately would make life a lot easier as EC5 connectors shouldn't have any problem handling 120A of current.
I think Rafael explained it here.
Mar 04, 2016, 01:46 PM
Go fast, pull up.
On another note, I noticed the counter rotating props are listed as being "metal". Are they CNC props or steel? Any chance they're pre balanced and sharpened from the factory...or close to it? Most of the CNC props I've tried are fairly well balanced out of the package, where as the copper props and prather steel props were horribly off balance. CNC props are cheaper and probably the best bang for the buck...but then again I'm all about going to the lake and having fun vs. trying to win a race.
Mar 04, 2016, 02:13 PM
Go fast, pull up.
Thank you goshakv! That other thread has a lot of helpful information.

I'm thinking of either going 4 3S batteries or 2 6S batteries, depending on size restrictions.

6S Option:
http://www.motionrc.com/admiral-5000...ec5-connector/

Weight
751g/26.5oz
Length
137mm/5.38in
Width
45mm/1.75in
Height
59mm/2.32in
Mar 04, 2016, 02:23 PM
Probably someone should merge these 2 threads.
Apr 08, 2016, 06:11 PM

What a beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael_Lopez
Fidelity101, your experience is the perfect example of the reason why we built this project. We wanted to give customers that custom boat experience without the need to sell a kidney. This is the boat that I always dreamed of building in my garage but could never afford to. I'm greatful that I was finally able to build that dream boat of mine, and share it with the world.
Just got mine from LHS. They are selling my rehabbed BJ29v3. My wife thinks I should have only one and this one has got everything I would want in a boat. What a great layout. One question.... I note the steering servo has 3 holes each side. The cables are setup: one is at the farthest, great for us new to the boat. The other side is in the middle. Is this the way I should leave it initially or should I move to the outer hole?
Jun 23, 2016, 10:52 PM
Will one ESC hit LVC way before the other if they run at different speeds or in different conditions with the same batteries.