This thread is privately moderated by Red.Sneakers, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 28, 2016, 08:49 AM
2016 The Year for Air Shows
Thread OP
Discussion

Admiral ~ A Better Lipo Battery?

I had some old Lipo batteries that needed replacing. One got out of balance & the other the wire on the balance plug broke due to usage. Discovered the Admiral batteries. Here is why I like what I see.

--> Great attention to detail by the designer. If they pay that much attention to the components you can see, I surmise the same attention to detail has been placed on the internal chemistry & design. Time will tell.

--> The Dean T plug is long, no attempt to save money noted.

--> They have a very unique protective cover on the balance plug to prevent premature wire breakage.

--> Nicely labeled. Would prefer if they had added the word "Lipo" as I also use Nimh batteries that 'look' similar.

--> The 2200mah is skinny & long & the 1300mah is short & fatter - exactly what I need for my applications.

--> Standard industry balance plug connector.

--> I include a picture of the battery with added shrink for stress relief & the tool I use to disconnect the battery without pulling on the wires.

2016 will be the year I try out the Admiral batteries. My expectation is they will perform well.

Last edited by Red.Sneakers; Jan 29, 2016 at 08:35 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 28, 2016, 10:45 AM
Fire Marshall Bill
I've several batteries (not admiral) that are using that balance plug. I have found that it is often getting in the way. But it IS robust.
Jan 28, 2016, 10:59 PM
Embrace the suck!
I have a pair of Admiral 3S 2200 cells in my rotation for about two months now, they work as well as my China Hobby Line cells, and work better than all of my Hobby King ones. Not enough use yet to determine longevity, but I'm happy with the power output and also matching the advertised capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo Te
I've several batteries (not admiral) that are using that balance plug. I have found that it is often getting in the way. But it IS robust.
That outer cap will open and allow you to remove it if it's in the way, it's just a simple protective cover over the standard JST-SH balance plug. And yes, they are nice in how easy they make it to remove the balance plug without damaging the wires.
May 06, 2016, 09:20 PM
Neo Positivity
I purchased two 3 cell 1300mAh Admirals that I run in my Popwing (17+ minutes flight time, but I rarely go past 14). I'm going to be purchasing two 1800mAh Admirals within the next few days for my Sport Cub. For me, 2016 will be my year to test Admirals.
My Zippy is swolen,
All my Electriflys (all 2cell 600mAh) swell within a year,
My Gen Ace (3 cell 1100mAh) took 2 years to swell
and my Eflite (3cell 800mAh) just stopped working. It didn't swell or anything, when I plug it into my charger I get an error message. same message on other chargers at my local hobby shop.
So yea it's time to experiment.
3 of my Phantom 2 Vision Plus lipos swelled up to but that was after 3 years and 100 recorded flights between the three of them. It's funny, they say not to discharge them completely but with the DJI lipos you're instructed to completely discharge them every now and then.

Quick Reply