Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 28, 2016, 05:29 AM
Discussion

New MinimOSD fork

I'm glad to present my version of the MinimOSD firmware

NEW FEATURES:

* MAX7456 renew doing in VSYNC to get rid of "snow" on screen - like in http://forum.rcdesign.ru/f90/thread1...ml#post5602416 but on interrupt instead of SPI polling

* 4 screens instead of 2
* individual control of sign icon visibility of each panel per screen
* voltage, current & RSSI can be measured on external pins (which can be found on some boards)
* TLOG player in configurator - now settings can be checked without working plane/copter!
* small panels can be placed in unused areas of big panels
* RADAR (like in MiniNAZAosd) and ILS in Horizon, can be enabled individually
* horizon angles can be adjusted via configurator, indepentently for PAL and NTSC
* PAL/NTSC detected dynamically - now can use different cameras!
* screen offsets via configurator
* new format of GPS coords - in one line
* Any RC channel can be translated to output pin (eg. for cameras switch)
* font uploader included in the main firmware and much more usable
* plane & copter joined and even can be changed on the fly (eg. for VTOL)
* configuration of some "hot" parameters from RC

here - https://github.com/night-ghost/minimosd-extra

pre-compiled binaries and HEX files are in the Released folder with the CT GUI

one can download only one file - https://github.com/night-ghost/minim...osd_latest.zip

If you like this project and want to support further development - you can do it!
Donate!

UPD:

To compile on windows: (c) Johnex
1. Download the latest Arduino Version (currently 1.6.8)
2. Download the version of MinimOSD-Extra-DV you like, via git or zip (github lets you click on a commit and view its files, so downloading that zip gives you the version you want)
3. If using git clone, also do a git submodule init and git submodule update. If downloading the zip from github, you also need SingleSerial because github does not include submodules into the download zip, so download it also: https://github.com/night-ghost/SingleSerial
4. Copy all the libraries from MiniumOSD to the Arduino libraries folder (+ SingleSerial if you downloaded the zip for it)
5. If not using UAVTalk or MultiWii disable them in Config.h:
//#define USE_UAVTALK 1
//#define USE_MWII 1
6. Sketch -> Export Compiled Binary (it will save the hex file in the MinimOSD folder of the source, one file with the bootloader and one without)

Quickstart Guide (c) Johnex
----------------------
1. Download the latest MinimOSD-Extra build here: https://github.com/night-ghost/minim...osd_latest.zip
2. Run the OSD_Config.exe
3. Connect your MinimOSD to your pc making sure you are using an FTDI that has 5V and not 3.3V.
4. After the usb driver is installed, select your COM port in OSD_Config.
5. Choose "Character_Updater_FW.hex" from the FW_+_Char folder. This will upload a new program to your MinimOSD just for updating the font.
5a. Once uploaded, do menu Options/Update Charset..", Select the latest character set MinimOSD_2.4.1.X.mcm from the "FW & Char" folder. Notice that this MimimOSD-Extra has a custom character set and must be updated if coming from another fork or the original, and some newer versions might require a new version, always check the "FW & Char" folder.
5b. When the font is uploaded, you then need to replace the character updater program with the regular MinimOSD firmware
6. Click Options -> Update Firmware. Select the latest MinimOsd_Extra_Uni.9XXDV-release.hex file from the "FW & Char" folder.
7. Set your video mode to Auto if you have different cam types, or select NTSC or PAL if you have just 1 cam and you know it's type or had issues with Auto.
8. Connect your OSD directly to a monitor or to a video transmitter so you can see the OSD output, making sure you don't forget to connect the antenna to the video transmitter before powering it on if you are using that. Click Options -> Load TLog. Select 2015-09-06 18-40-55.tlog from the "FW & Char" folder.
9. Set up the screens as you want. Click "Save Tab to OSD" and then click "Start" to run a simulation so you can see how everything looks without having to set up a copter. If something is not right, click "Stop", do the changes, save the config again and click "Start" again to see the new changes.
10. If you encounter that your screen is not centered, change the "Offsets", Left and Top from the config page. You can also move panels away from the edge if your screen gets cropped.

Checklist if you're having issue with something:

Try and look through the wiki regarding the issue you have. You can also search the Wiki. (coming soon)
Read carefully the first post of this thread. Also read the last 5 pages in the thread to see if someone else has already mentioned it. Also try and search in the thread.
Explain your issue, include OSD file, TLOG and screen photo. Mention what you have tried, and also if it's working as intended in stock MinimOSD firmware.

Russian discussion - http://www.ykoctpa.ru/groups/eye-in-...vka/#post-8165

PS.
1. Do not try to send me private message - I will not answer. If you have a brilliant idea - share it with everyone.
2. Changes that require hardware modifications are rejected in advance.
3. You should not to write about a firmware problem if you can not get working the classical R800
Last edited by night_ghost; Apr 04, 2017 at 05:29 AM. Reason: added Character_Updater_FW.hex usage
to remove ads between posts
Jan 28, 2016, 12:18 PM
I will give this a shot on my Minim OSD board and on my microboard. Seems like you added a bit,I know the EXTRA guys were saying they can't do to much more because of space.. Are you pretty much maxed out?
Jan 29, 2016, 05:35 AM
I have a magic wand that makes flash like rubber Now there are near 10kB free so it wil be built-in Setup by RC soon
Jan 29, 2016, 01:18 PM
Going flying tomorrow - Did you post a link to this over at DIY Drones... This will be the next step since you actually take advantage of the RSSI pins (Digtal PWM Supported?) and the voltage.

Thanks!
Jan 29, 2016, 02:55 PM
Dead Reckoner
Great job Night Ghost.
Jan 29, 2016, 03:29 PM
I went to the "released folder" and ran the CT tool - I get a .net framework error. I have enabled the .net framework in Windows Features... Any advice? (tried on 2 CPU's)

Can someone compile. or provide instructions TOTAL NOOB

Fixed myissue by replacing OSD_Config.exe config from the one from r800, (changed required version)

Looks great flashing it now. Hopefully works!
Last edited by cliffoco; Jan 29, 2016 at 10:35 PM.
Jan 30, 2016, 02:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffoco
Digtal PWM Supported?
Yes supported but not tested - my RC hasn't RSSI at all
Jan 30, 2016, 02:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffoco
I went to the "released folder" and ran the CT tool - I get a .net framework error. I have enabled the .net framework in Windows Features... Any advice? (tried on 2 CPU's)

Fixed myissue by replacing OSD_Config.exe config from the one from r800, (changed required version)
NOOO!!! They are not compatible ABSOLUTELY so now we need to debug own CT tool. What Windows you use?
Jan 30, 2016, 04:38 AM
mea cupla... Built by MONO OSD_Config really don't works in Windows 7 so now it rebuilt by native MS tools.

Now all should work
Last edited by night_ghost; Jan 30, 2016 at 04:46 AM.
Jan 30, 2016, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by night_ghost
mea cupla... Built by MONO OSD_Config really don't works in Windows 7 so now it rebuilt by native MS tools.

Now all should work
The .net framework isn't compatible? -- It seems to work except for char_uploader.

Here is the new change
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<configuration>
<startup><supportedRuntime version="v2.0.50727"/></startup></configuration>

Will test your new version

When I upload char set I get No End Error.

I am using Windows 10
Jan 30, 2016, 08:45 AM
The CT tool is working now, the char set still giving the No End error.

Also what is different between the with booatloader firware, should I use that one or the regular one?
Jan 30, 2016, 09:03 AM
To be honest, I did not touch char_uploader - fonts now are well uploaded from CT

with booatloader - is a feature of new Arduino which is intended to flash the via SPI programmer.
Jan 31, 2016, 11:53 PM
Will this work with a pixhawk px4 flight stack? QGroundControl?
Feb 01, 2016, 12:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentS
Will this work with a pixhawk px4 flight stack? QGroundControl?
yes it should work with ANY MAVlink-enabled Flight Controller. OSD don't interact with Ground station so QGroundControl no matter.

Question for all - which parameters (visible on new ConfigTool) should be configurable "in field" via RC? Brightness and screen offsets in first, horizon adjustments in second. What more?
Last edited by night_ghost; Feb 01, 2016 at 05:17 AM.
Feb 01, 2016, 10:07 AM
@night_Ghost I noticed that when I use your firmware I get a white line through the center, its not a solid line but very noticable. This happens on both my minim (clone) and my Micro OSD.

A param that chooses how many panels 1-4 would be good for CT-Tool.

Not sure of any param I need switchable.

I also think the NTSC/ Pal code may be acting a little funny. Sometimes the bottom of my screen would be gone and I would lose that portion of the OSD info,