Jan 27, 2016, 11:23 AM
WOT and going nowhere
Thread OP
New Product

HOLY FPV GOGGLES, BATMAN! Spektrum steps up their game with the FOCAL FPV goggles!

Well, I think we can all agree that Spektrum's previous attempt at FPV with the 10mw micro setup and Teleporter V4 goggles were a far cry away from the desires of any tried and tested FPV pilot, but in 2016 they've broken into the game with a new competitive edge, introducing the Spektrum FOCAL goggles by Fat Shark.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/focal-fp...9l95sqzm91wy81

These goggles feature the latest generation Fat Shark fan faceplate, and sports roughly the same specs as the Attitude V3/Dominator V2.

However, these goggles step ahead of the Attitude V3s with an included dual diversity 5.8ghz vrx module, which is undoubtedly compatible with the Dominator module bays, and Spektrum boasts wireless headtracking AND channel changing capability through your transmitter.

While I'm sure FatShark will be releasing the Dual Diversity receiver module in the coming weeks (There's a nice little thread about it in FatShark's section of the Lab), these goggles certainly look interesting.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 27, 2016, 12:16 PM
Only from what I have read ,, somewhere in here , having Two antennas right next to each other is not good?
Looking at picture of goggles they would be on top of each other ..
And I think the weight of Two antennas on the same side of goggles would push them down on that side .
Hard to keep them in place .
So, I will pass.
DanT
Jan 27, 2016, 12:18 PM
I swear! I waited 8 months to buy goggles for this very reason! Stuff updates all the time. Finally in need, I ordered some other goggles TWO days ago now this news comes out! D4MN IT!!!!!!!! Every freaking time.
Jan 27, 2016, 12:19 PM
WOT and going nowhere
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanT View Post
Only from what I have read ,, somewhere in here , having Two antennas right next to each other is not good?
Looking at picture of goggles they would be on top of each other ..
So, I will pass.
DanT
Does having two ears right next to each other make one ear less sensitive?

At first glance it would seem that having the receivers right on top of each other isn't a very good idea, but if you think about it a bit further these are receiver antennas, not transmitter antennas, so I wouldn't expect them to 'interfere' with each other.
Jan 27, 2016, 12:48 PM
I don't understand your , two ears thing?
But like I said , I have only read this to be true..
And I think two antennas on the same side ,, Will make them hard to keep from sliding down on that side..
I will pass .
DanT
Jan 27, 2016, 12:53 PM
WOT and going nowhere
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanT View Post
I don't understand your , two ears thing?
But like I said , I have only read this to be true..
And I think two antennas on the same side ,, Will make them hard to keep from sliding down on that side..
I will pass .
DanT
Two ears was a reference to the receivers. The video receivers are the 'ears' of your video system, they're listening for the signal. It was an analogy.
Jan 27, 2016, 12:56 PM
I have a problem with the name on these goggles, FOCUS, would make me think that you can focus each lens for vision correction. In fact thats not possible. Its only the distance between the eyes that is adjustable. No where can I see any reference to insert lens or focus adjustment as these do http://www.zeiss.com/cinemizer-oled/en_de/home.html
Jan 27, 2016, 01:21 PM
WOT and going nowhere
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTradioman View Post
I have a problem with the name on these goggles, FOCUS, would make me think that you can focus each lens for vision correction. In fact thats not possible. Its only the distance between the eyes that is adjustable. No where can I see any reference to insert lens or focus adjustment as these do http://www.zeiss.com/cinemizer-oled/en_de/home.html
I believe they are compatible with FatShark diopter inserts, but good point about the name being deceiving.
Jan 27, 2016, 03:20 PM
Team Drone Art
Not much new brought to the marketplace.

Using to many of the Fatshark stuff. It looks more like a rebranded Fatshark to me. With their upcoming diversity antenna and added Spektrum headtracking.

Incorporating a diversity system like the LaForgeFPV would have excited me more and open my wallet for yet another FPV goggle.

Fortunately, there's the little companies like UBAD who's team up and bringing hte LaForge RX5808 to the mass market.

Feb 17, 2016, 04:40 PM
Just an Fyi-they are called Focal not focus. Signal should not be an issue as they are passive receivers-use a dome antenna with a patch-should be great. Waiting to see if they include dvr-probable 2 months after I buy (just like when I bought the attitude sd's).
Last edited by Loukhan; Apr 15, 2016 at 09:44 AM.
Feb 17, 2016, 04:59 PM
Pro Bro #1008
I could not get rid of my Attitudes fast enough once I tried the Headplay's...I cannot envision anyone wearing this style of goggles and liking them..I like how it says "premium", except so much cheaper than the Dominators (which still suck badly compared to Headplays IMHO)..!! hahahahah

I guess Headplay and even the cheapie eachine sub $100 goggles are whipping Horizon and Fatsharks behinds badly...but the marketplace drives invention, right? Maybe it is a good thing!
Mar 06, 2016, 04:00 AM
IMHO-Headplay HD's are great for fixed wing and AP quads but for fast quads/fixed wing racing, I use my FS attitudes- too much picture on the hp's and latency.
FWIW- total weight for immersionrc patch and circular antennae =61g. If that makes your goggles fall to one side, there is a nifty little strap on the goggles that can be tightened to hold them on your head.
Last edited by Loukhan; Apr 15, 2016 at 10:00 AM.
Jun 26, 2016, 03:09 PM
Just flew w/my new Focal's and I gotta say- their pretty nice. They seemed like a llittle smaller view than my Attitude SD's but not by much. Picture is good, nice fit, and love the fan.
The one thing that I have an issue with is changing Head Tracking to different rx channels-(stock is 6&7). I want to put it on 5&6.
The manual says to change ht channels, hold down on settings button as you plug in battery and release immediatly. Not correct as far as I can tell, I think you have to hold down on the channel select rocker as you plug in and release after you hear the beep. That's how it was on my attitudes sd's (never did get the MIG to work right).
So far, no joy changing it.
Side note- the diversity isn't a true diversity from what I've read.
And to top it off-they now are being recalled!!! WTH!!!!

NOTE-Went out and bought a 7ch rx and HT worked fine. Took a super cub out to test the HT last weekend- at 30' off the deck I hit the switch for HT and the servo pegged hard left, disengaged HT and servo didn't budge (had worked fine on the ground-always recentered), plane went into the deck. Now I'm thinking about giving it back and going w/Dom HD's.
*I called HH in ref to the recall-the guy I talked to said that he had heard the recall was because if you go through a very precise program, the HT and throttle will interfere with each other. He didn't think most people would have a problem but safer to recall.
Last edited by Loukhan; Jul 17, 2016 at 11:20 AM.

Quick Reply