Jun 20, 2016, 08:47 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael_Lopez

There is a alternate coupler listed in the boat's parts listing which replaces the weighted coupler that comes with the boat. Replacing the weighted coupler with a standard coupler allows you to run full size packs. I was actually running a 5700, 3s soft pack in that video.
Rafael, will it still easily self right without the weighted coupler?

I went ahead and did the order. I see the fact that there is a Horizon Pro Boat Dev team member here to assist with issues that may arise as a bonus, like having Andy Kunz over in the Spektrum Airware radio thread, which had an influence on my decision to pay a bit more for a HH product than other boats I was looking at.

More questions...

What are you using for hatch tape? I did a web search and got as many answers as there are letters in the alphabet. Renfew clear hockey tape came up a lot which I can buy just down the road from me, but some said hockey tape can split. Have you used the Dynamite marine tape shown in the optional parts listing, I wonder if it's just the same stuff?

I have a spare receiver that was one of two models that came with my DX4S, I think it's the waterproof SR410. I assume I can just swap out and use this receiver and radio for better range, correct?
Last edited by North_of_49; Jun 22, 2016 at 02:17 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 21, 2016, 10:35 AM
Sea and Air

Bad beach run plus lake rear view

My Movie 1 (9 min 44 sec)
Jun 21, 2016, 08:08 PM
Product Developer-Pro Boat
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49
Rafael, will it still easily self right without the weighted coupler?

I went ahead and did the order. I see the fact that there is a Horizon Pro Boat Dev team member here to assist with issues that may arise as a bonus, like having Andy Kunz over in the Spektrum Airware radio thread, which had an influence on my decision to pay a bit for for a HH product than other boats I was looking at.

More questions...

What are you using for hatch tape? I did a web search and got as many answers as there are letters in the alphabet. Renfew clear hockey tape came up a lot which I can buy just down the road from me, but some said hockey tape can split. Have you used the Dynamite marine tape shown in the optional parts listing, I wonder if it's just the same stuff?

I have a spare receiver that was one of two models that came with my DX4S, I think it's the waterproof SR410. I assume I can just swap out and use this receiver and radio for better range, correct?
I'm glad that me being here made your decision to buy this boat easier. I may not be in the forums every day, but I do have my account set up to receive notifications if someone sends me a private message.

The reason for the weighted coupler is because the included battery does not carry enough weight to help the boat self right. With the weighted coupler and a full size pack, the boat now carries too much weight towards the left, and makes turning very erratic. The boat can be run that way, but its a but challenging to drive; at least it is for me. So, if you plan on running a pack larger than 4000mAh, I suggest that you remove the weighted coupler so that the boat performs to as well as it does in my video.

Regarding boat tape, Dynamite makes our boat tape which is just clear electrical tape. We use this tape because it is very easy on the paint. I have found that any other tape, like hockey tape, has too much adhesive and can possibly pull the paint off. Personally, I'm a fan of 3M electrical tape. It has the perfect amount of adhesive and is very flexible.

Regarding the receiver, I place mine in a balloon when running in salt water, regardless of it being waterproof or not. For fresh water, the 410 will be fine. Yes, the Spektrum radio system will have better range than the included radio.

Hope this answers your questions.
Jun 22, 2016, 12:40 AM
Just Plane Nutts
Quote:
The reason for the weighted coupler is because the included battery does not carry enough weight to help the boat self right.

Ah.. I assume it was to add weight to the motor to help it flip the boat via torque when the throttle was blipped. Being only a 2822 outrunner, there's not a lot of metal/mass there to do the job with.

For balance, F.A.R.M.E.R. would suggest a split pack, as he used in the Barbwire XL mods by replacing it's left-side-mounted 2200mAH pack with a pair of 1500MAH.

In your case, a pair of 2200MAH 3S packs plugged together with a parallel connector would give you a 4400MAH 3S pack with weight distributed equally on boat sides of the stuffing tube. Worth a try. Hobby King carries the 2-to-1 plugs in parallel and series-wired.

The best hatch tape I have used is the stuff Atomik sells and their boats come with. It's very rubber-like and goes around curves quite easily, but it's not the cheapest tape around (you get what you pay for): http://www.atomikrc.com/collections/...0-roll-x2-pack

This might be the cheapest source for it, under the Joysway name: http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-JO...c-p-51810.html
Last edited by AirDOGGe; Jun 22, 2016 at 12:47 AM.
Jun 22, 2016, 01:58 AM
Quote:

Hope this answers your questions.
It does. Thank you. Does the Recoil even have paint anywhere on it?

AirDOGGe ,

that banggood tape says PVC on it (vinyl) so it's probably the same thing as the Dynamite tape which Rafael says is clear electrical tape (also usually vinyl)
Last edited by North_of_49; Jun 22, 2016 at 02:23 AM.
Jun 22, 2016, 02:31 AM
Just Plane Nutts
Dunno about paint, but the tape has lifted the decal graphics from areas of my Barbwire XL.
Latest blog entry: My You-Tube channel
Jun 22, 2016, 05:55 AM
Sea and Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49
It does. Thank you. Does the Recoil even have paint anywhere on it?

AirDOGGe ,

that banggood tape says PVC on it (vinyl) so it's probably the same thing as the Dynamite tape which Rafael says is clear electrical tape (also usually vinyl)
It says "Four pillars PVC tape , Deer Brand PVC tape" on the inner rim.
Jun 24, 2016, 03:55 AM
Quote:
The reason for the weighted coupler is because the included battery does not carry enough weight to help the boat self right. With the weighted coupler and a full size pack, the boat now carries too much weight towards the left, and makes turning very erratic. The boat can be run that way, but its a but challenging to drive; at least it is for me. So, if you plan on running a pack larger than 4000mAh, I suggest that you remove the weighted coupler so that the boat performs to as well as it does in my video.
Rafael actually has a video on this

Getting the most out of your Pro Boat Recoil 26. (3 min 4 sec)
Jun 27, 2016, 01:58 PM
Product Developer-Pro Boat
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDOGGe
Ah.. I assume it was to add weight to the motor to help it flip the boat via torque when the throttle was blipped. Being only a 2822 outrunner, there's not a lot of metal/mass there to do the job with.
Its actually a combination of both. The rotating mass does one thing, it stops the drive line when you hit the throttle, which allows the boat to roll over, but that weight of the battery is key to completing the process. The coupler is patented, so let me better explain the process further.

The self righting effect of the boat comes by the same feature that allows an RC truck, car, whatever, to wheelie. The drive line is stopped for an instant up on activation of throttle, due to torque in the drive line, which allows the RC Truck to lift the chassis, popping a wheelie. Same effect here. The weight of the rotating mass of the motor, causes the boat to spin when it's up-side-down, giving the self righting effect. The coupler is key here when there isn't enough weight to tip the boat over to one side far enough; full size battery VS included battery.
Jul 02, 2016, 06:49 PM

more backorders

Well, this is disappointing. I was just at my LHS and got them to log into Fast Serve to check the status of my Recoil 26 order and it's not due until August 28 (out of stock, backordered at Horizon). To make matters worse, the PRB3308 coupler Rafael recommended I use with my 3S 5000mAh lipos is also out of stock and backordered at Horizon and not expected until September.

This is an instant kill to my excitement. I went through this last summer with my Pro Boat Volere 22, ordered in early spring with the date continually pushed back and I received it 8 months later in the fall right when water was freezing over. Am not sure I want to watch another summer slip away and am wondering if I should maybe be looking at other products. My LHS reminded me as they did last year that this is pretty much par for the course with Pro Boat
Jul 02, 2016, 09:14 PM
Closed Account
Try the Jetchopper 30" and build your own. Now in case you need help, contact Jan from Sneed, Netherlands who visits here very often. Try Offshoreelectrics OSE for parts and also boats. Steve is a GEM on HELP and FAST shipper.
Jul 02, 2016, 09:15 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Can you cancel the order and get it from another source?

http://www.rcboca.com/prb08022.html?...Fc9ffgodxY8HCg

or

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Boat-Reco...boat+recoil+26
Latest blog entry: My You-Tube channel
Jul 02, 2016, 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Manning
Try the Jetchopper 30" and build your own. Now in case you need help, contact Jan from Sneed, Netherlands who visits here very often. Try Offshoreelectrics OSE for parts and also boats. Steve is a GEM on HELP and FAST shipper.
I just posted today in another thread why I buy mostly HH products, which, in brief summary, boils down to local in-store purchase with no shipping costs to me (which has really gotten out of hand with international shipping to Canada), or local ordering with no shipping costs to me that gets here (LHS) in a decent amount of time, the ability to inspect the product before I actually pay, the stellar post purchase product support and warranty support I've gotten over the past 4-1/2 years, product and parts availability in the first place which has usually never been an issue until becoming interested in their boats , etc.

I'd still like to keep it local for those reasons even if switching brands or boats, but I'll look into it, thanks for the info.

The thing is, I'm really not looking for another "project"... I have too many unfinished ones with my planes and cars/trucks and am just looking for a low maintenance ready-to-go solution and one that I already have batteries for. Not to mention, I really don't know much about boats other than some things that are common to air and surface r/c.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDOGGe
No, it's not cost effective to do that with the state of the Canadian dollar. I got a Father's Day 10% off at my LHS when I ordered this boat ($400 CAD retail) which knocked 40 bucks off or else I probably wouldn't have even pulled the trigger on it. If paying full USD retail I'd be looking at the full $400 CAD with tax plus shipping and possibly even import charges. Looking on ebay, most sellers want at least $50 to ship this to Canada (which is $65 CAD) sometimes with import fees on top of that. I'm not prepared to pay upwards of $500 CAD for this boat. If I cancel it, that will be it for this one and I'll be looking at something else, but probably without the self righting capability I wanted.

Maybe Rafael can look into what the hold up is and whether the ETA is likely to change for the better, I thought this was a fairly recently released product?
Last edited by North_of_49; Jul 02, 2016 at 10:16 PM.
Jul 02, 2016, 11:21 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Unfortunately, that seems to really limit choices. I don't see anything else on the HH page in the size range of the Recoil two-six and under $400 except for the Proboat Shockwave 26, unless a cat-hull boat is an acceptable substitute.

This seller says $16.78 to Canada: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Proboat-Reco...XFUfe#shpCntId
Last edited by AirDOGGe; Jul 02, 2016 at 11:33 PM.
Jul 03, 2016, 12:54 AM
Yeah, I saw that one but when I load it up in ebay.ca you also see this...

No additional import charges at delivery!
This item will be shipped through the Global Shipping Program and includes international tracking. Learn more- opens in a new window or tab
Shipping: US $16.78 (approx. C $21.64) International Priority Shipping to Canada | See details

Item location:
Lomita, California, United States

Ships to:
United States and many other countries | See details
Import charges:
US $34.19 (amount confirmed at checkout)
Delivery:
Estimated within 28-36 business day

The Global Shipping Program is a rip-off. That $34 USD is $44 CAD. I haven't bought anything on ebay out of the U.S. since they started that crap, unless the seller doesn't use it. In which case they then ding you on the shipping charge because they'll only use Priority. The shipping charge to Canada on this boat in any listing that doesn't use the Global Shipping program with its pre-paid import fees is around $50.

From what I understand, many U.S. ebay sellers don't even realize that that's what international buyers see on their listings using the Global Rip-off program. Pitney Bowes acts as the shipper (middleman).

The Recoil listing from ebay seller gonitrohobbies (who I bought from maybe 4 years ago) doesn't use the program but this is what they want for shipping...

US $52.00 (approx. C $67.06) USPS Priority Mail International

I don't mind paying $400 or more for a boat if I have to, just not almost $500 for one that's $299 USD.
Last edited by North_of_49; Jul 03, 2016 at 01:06 AM.

Quick Reply