Mar 14, 2016, 10:09 PM
"You're gonna hafta kill me"
Ordered from my LHS several weeks ago. It'll be in tomorrow (Tuesday).
Looking forward to getting it.

Gary
to remove ads between posts
Mar 15, 2016, 07:39 PM
Rafael,

Picked up the Zelos today from my LHS. I must say, I'm very impressed with the quality of the boat. You and your team have done an outstanding job. The boat looks way better in person. Pictures do not do it justice.

I do have one small issue. The hatch has several hairline cracks around where the right rear thumb screw passes through the hatch. As long as the cracks don't get any bigger I'm ok with it. My only concern is the possibility of the cracks getting larger. I've attached a couple of photos.

Hope to run the boat later in week.

Thank you.

Gary
Mar 15, 2016, 09:20 PM
Product Developer-Pro Boat
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke
Rafael,

Picked up the Zelos today from my LHS. I must say, I'm very impressed with the quality of the boat. You and your team have done an outstanding job. The boat looks way better in person. Pictures do not do it justice.

I do have one small issue. The hatch has several hairline cracks around where the right rear thumb screw passes through the hatch. As long as the cracks don't get any bigger I'm ok with it. My only concern is the possibility of the cracks getting larger. I've attached a couple of photos.

Hope to run the boat later in week.

Thank you.

Gary
Hey Gary. Looks like the gel coat cracked, for some odd reason. I e been beating the snot out of mine and have not seen this on any of our yellow boats. If it bothers you, call Product Support and have them send you another canopy. They'll just ask you for pictures of the defect and a picture of your receipt. Those are just surface cracks. The canopy is very thick as you can tell, and those cracks do not compromise the fiberglass structure. They are only superficial. That probably happend when they were installing the nut under the canopy, which holds the thumb screw.
Mar 15, 2016, 09:34 PM
Thanks Rafael,

I'll give customer support a call. Hate to be picky, but for $700.00 I guess I expect the boat to be perfect.

Gary
Mar 15, 2016, 09:38 PM
big ignore list/drama is dumb
Sweet boat !
Mar 15, 2016, 10:29 PM
Looking forward to getting the Zelos in the water.

Gary
Mar 15, 2016, 10:55 PM
Got mine today. What an amazing boat. It's very heavy and well built. I swapped the EC5 connector on the harness for 5.5 bullets so I can run my packs. The flexes appeared to be only lightly oiled to prevent rust so make sure and grease them before you run it. The boat is bigger than it looks in pictures! It barely fits in the boat bag I built. Here are a few pics.
Mar 15, 2016, 11:29 PM
nice pics guys.beautiful boat!
Mar 16, 2016, 12:21 AM
Unfortunately the wind was terrible today. Gusts to 30mph so I couldn't really open the boat up. Here's some video though. It's tough to tell how rough it was but the boat's action kind of gives you an idea. The flip at the end did zero damage and the boat is sealed well. For these runs I was running two 5000mah 3S packs (total of 6S to each motor when you use the included double Y harness). The batteries were as far forward as I could get them while still getting one Velcro strap around each pack. Temps were very low but I didn't measure them. The ESCs were even cool/cold to the touch. Granted I wasn't running super hard....

ProBoat Zelos 36 Twin Cat - Maiden Run in Rough Water (2 min 47 sec)
Mar 16, 2016, 06:35 AM
Got mine yesterday and joined the forum.Good looking, well made boat.
Windy at my house too. Will try it out soon.
Mar 16, 2016, 07:09 AM
Closed Account
I agree with Rafael those are just hairline cracks in the gelcoat,should they become loose you can just dremel them out a little widening them a tad and fill with the same colour gelcoat then wet sand an polish using a buffing compound you wont even notice the repair afterwards.What you could do right now if you wish is squirt in some thin ca glue and wipe clean that should stop them getting any worse for a while.
Mart
Mar 16, 2016, 07:17 AM
Closed Account
Heres a video to show how easy it is to repair cracks,colour matching isnt so easy so best ask them what colour code you need.
Mart
Gelcoat Repair - Part 1 (9 min 58 sec)
Mar 16, 2016, 09:10 AM
Product Developer-Pro Boat
Thread OP
Glad to see everyone receiving their boat! Awesome to start seeing videos.

A couple of routine maintenance tips I'd like to share.

When greasing the shafts, don't squirt grease inside the struts. The diameter of the hole on the strut and the liner is nearly the same diameter as the flex shaft. Doing so will force the grease out of the liner when you insert the flex shaft and you'll end up with a huge mess inside the boat. You also don't want grease inside your coupler.

I squeeze some grease on a napkin and run the flex shaft through it, making sure I don't get grease on the first 15-20mm of the shaft, which will go in to the coupler. When I install the flex shaft in to the strut, I rotate the flex shaft in the direction the cable is wound. This will help carry as much grease as possible in to the liner. You will notice a lot of the grease will not make it in to the liner, and it will appear to nearly all end up at the strut's opening, this is normal. Use grease sparingly. This is why the manual recommends greasing about every 20 minutes of use, or less when possible. When you are done running for the day, I recommend removing the shafts and wiping them down, grease and reinstall. This does 2 things. It keeps the used grease from accumulating inside of the liner and on the shaft, and it ensures that your boat will always be ready at short notice to go run it.

Another tip, when greasing always put a drop or two of oil in the front bearing. As the shafts load, they contract putting a load on the front bearing. The rear motor bearing doesn't see this burden. This us useful for any boat, not just this one.

Lastly, carry a 2.5 L wrench with you. I have a long L wrench with a ball tip on the end that I got from my local hardware store in set. Use the short part of the L wrench and periodically check to make sure the motor mount screws are tight. I check mine every time I grease the flex shafts and oil the bearings. The ball end of the wrench comes in handy if you ever need to remove the motors. Break the bolt loose with the short end and then use the ball driver to easily remove the screws.
Last edited by Rafael_Lopez; Mar 16, 2016 at 09:16 AM.
Mar 16, 2016, 12:27 PM
Tamelesstgr over on OSE
I think I am going to have to add this one to my Christmas List
Mar 16, 2016, 08:51 PM
Martno1Fan,

Thank you for tips on repairing the gelcoat. I emailed Horizon support today. I haven't heard back yet. I feel for $700.00 I shouldn't have to be doing repairs before the boat even hits the water.

My good friend received his Zelos today and its in perfect shape. I guess I got one that was built on a Monday.

I'll be running mine tomorrow afternoon. Looking forward to it.

Gary
Last edited by Cool Hand Luke; Mar 16, 2016 at 08:57 PM.

Quick Reply