Mar 03, 2016, 12:29 PM
That "hump", to hide the innards, is a masterstroke of form. Associated in my mind with the beautiful curves of the power house of the haunches of a thoroughbred horse. It wasn't lost on the designers of the muscle cars either. It just exudes power. I like the lack of cooling pipes on show at the rear, and it's symmetry . Altogether a very neat, tidy rear end, and head and shoulders above the competition. Your boat reminds me of an old Toyota franchise advert...... "Salesman required, no experience necessary". My guess is that the boat will sell itself !!
to remove ads between posts
Mar 03, 2016, 03:12 PM
Product Developer-Pro Boat
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by VARSITY
That "hump", to hide the innards, is a masterstroke of form. Associated in my mind with the beautiful curves of the power house of the haunches of a thoroughbred horse. It wasn't lost on the designers of the muscle cars either. It just exudes power. I like the lack of cooling pipes on show at the rear, and it's symmetry . Altogether a very neat, tidy rear end, and head and shoulders above the competition. Your boat reminds me of an old Toyota franchise advert...... "Salesman required, no experience necessary". My guess is that the boat will sell itself !!
Wow! I think I actually blushed when I read this.

Thanks!
Mar 03, 2016, 05:30 PM
Hi Rafael,

If I made a heavy duty adapter to do two 3S in series into two parallel to the ESC, then would the ESC's and motors hold up to lap after lap running? The video in post 49 shows the boat on a race course.
Mar 03, 2016, 06:31 PM
Thread OP
Hey Zoomer-Ron. The explanation I gave was in regards to the adapter, as you noted, and has nothing to do with the motors and ESCs holding up to race or extreme running conditions. The motors and ESCs are solid and amperage consumption per side is relatively low at 65-70 amps per side @6s. It's splitting high voltage power to both of them from 1 source, greater that 5s that can become an issue. As you can see, the combined amperage feeding both ESCs off just 2 batteries @6s is roughly 120-140amps.

Great example, is a race car with 2 engines, and only 1 fuel tank and fuel lines, for 1 engine. Performance will suffer if you hold both motors at wide open throttle for too long; they will starve for fuel. Same theory here.

You can definitely make your own adapter and configure the feed to both ESCs with larger gauge wire and larger connectors, if you like.

The video I posted of the boat doing laps was with 4, 3s LiPos; 6s to each ESC. As I mentioned in the video I posted yesterday, this is the most efficient way to run the boat on any voltage. I shortened up that video of the boat running laps, but I ran it wide open for nearly 5 minutes before bringing it in to check the temps.

The adapter was included to allow customers to run it on 2, 2s packs(4s) because most every hobbyists has at least 2, 2S LiPos laying around already.

Hope that helps.
Last edited by Rafael_Lopez; Mar 03, 2016 at 06:43 PM.
Mar 04, 2016, 03:47 PM
Yes, makes a lot of sense. I do have a couple of 6S 5000 50C packs , plus numerous 4S and 2S that I combine to make 6S. I use 5.5mm bullets on everything. Would the 6S packs fit properly on the tray(s)?
Mar 04, 2016, 08:31 PM
Thread OP
Yes sir, the trays accommodate 6s packs. I tested it with our E-flite packs.http://www.horizonhobby.com/EFLB5000...FVJgfgodol0O7A You'll need larger straps though. 300mm straps should do the trick. You will have to play with placement though, probably mount them as far forward as possible. If the boat bounces, adjust in 1-1.5mm of negative angle and she should be scooting along pretty good. Struts come neutral out of the box.
Mar 06, 2016, 12:08 PM
Fantastic read on this boat Rafael you got me sold on this boat just need to save my pennies , Jimscard said his a true catamaran lover , I`m also the same I own a motley crew , with a 50 mph set up ,been very happy so far until now the Zelos 36 will be my next Cat boat
Mar 09, 2016, 05:19 AM
Ordered mine today, hopefully have it by the weekend.
Mar 09, 2016, 09:38 AM
Thread OP
Thanks guys. Thought I would share a picture and a video sent to us by one of our testers.

The boat is all stock other than sharpened and balanced props and he installed his own connectors. It's unpainted, so its just a tad lighter than the production model. He also raised the timing, which I don't recommend unless you have extreme confidence in the quality of your LiPos, or they will puff

Stock zelos twin maiden on 6s (1 min 15 sec)
Mar 10, 2016, 02:55 AM
Closed Account
You sure that was mph doesnt look to be doing 70 mph in the video.
Mar 10, 2016, 10:48 AM
Looks like that "tester" got his going good... lol, is it KFXGUY from ose, looks like his style wiring and his connector of choice, and he likes those Revo packs.

But that's fantastic speed for a stock powered boat!!

Impressed!
Mar 10, 2016, 01:25 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by martno1fan
You sure that was mph doesnt look to be doing 70 mph in the video.
I don't know. When I look at commercial airplanes in the sky, they sure don't look to be going 500+ mph. . Distance affects the perception of speed, especially when the camera is following the object. I'm sure if the camera was not following the boat and it passed the camera in a single shot, you'd get a better perception of the speed.

He isn't the only tester that has reported 70+ MPH runs with high timing. I did have a doubt of the first tester that reported back that speed until Travis backed it up with that video and picture.
Mar 10, 2016, 01:32 PM
Thread OP
Oh, BTW. The boats are in. We are doing QC on a specific amount of boats based on the quantity recieved. If all is good, they will ship next week.
Mar 10, 2016, 02:54 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael_Lopez
I don't know. When I look at commercial airplanes in the sky, they sure don't look to be going 500+ mph. . Distance affects the perception of speed, especially when the camera is following the object. I'm sure if the camera was not following the boat and it passed the camera in a single shot, you'd get a better perception of the speed.

He isn't the only tester that has reported 70+ MPH runs with high timing. I did have a doubt of the first tester that reported back that speed until Travis backed it up with that video and picture.
Well my old gas hydro used to run 69 mph and it was 48" long so you would think a smaller boat would look faster than that video but i guess ill take your word for it .
Last edited by martno1fan; Mar 10, 2016 at 03:14 PM.
Mar 10, 2016, 03:30 PM
"You're gonna hafta kill me"
Great news. I preordered one from my LHS months ago.
Looking forward to getting it soon.

Gary

Quick Reply