Feb 16, 2016, 05:23 PM
Product Developer-Pro Boat
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by diodebill
[The only thing that we don't have 100% water proof is the receiver. It is coated, but if its submerged you have to get all the water out of it or it can cause erratic behavior.]

I used electronic plasticote spray coating on the receiver after I noted a couple of case openings and the capacitor connections on the circuit board were corroding. I don't use tape and have flipped my BJ29v3 without ill effects, so far, I do inspect and thoroughly drain the hull before operating again.
Plasticote works well as well as other water proofing liquids made specifically for circuit boards that can be bought at electronics parts stores.

Inside scoop, our boat tape is just clear electrical tape. Personally, I've always use 3M electrical tape before working here, and never had an issue. I did try Hockey tape on a Genesis I used to have and ruined the finish.

We did just recently announce the MR4000 which will eventually make it's way in to our RTR boats, but it is quite some months from being released. This RX is 100% water proof, the board is completely potted, and has over 1000 feet of range.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 16, 2016, 09:07 PM
"You're gonna hafta kill me"
Rafael,

Thank you for your response. I currently own the Aquacraft Mötley Crew, the Aquacraft UL1, a coupe of Hobby King boats and the Warehouse Hobby Magnum 57 gas boat. I've been running boats for almost ten years. I just like the ease of not having to tape the hatch on the Spartan. It's really no big deal. I'll apply hatch tape to the Zelos.

Gary
Feb 16, 2016, 09:12 PM
"You're gonna hafta kill me"
My Warehouse Hobbies Enforcer Magnum 57
Feb 26, 2016, 08:18 PM
Thread OP
Some practice laps around a NAMBA course. Running box stock with 4, 3s LiPos feeding 6s to each ESC.
Pro Boat Zelos 36 at Legg Lake course (1 min 13 sec)
Feb 26, 2016, 11:35 PM
Looks good Rafael! can't wait to pick one up in the near future.
Feb 27, 2016, 04:58 AM
Have you guys experimented with different sizes of props in your testing?

What about 3-blade props?

How did you position the 4 batteries?
Last edited by gman350; Feb 27, 2016 at 05:12 AM.
Feb 27, 2016, 06:43 PM
Thread OP
We don't do any testing with other props once it's been decided what props we are molding for the boat, which gets us to our target speed. There are so many props on the market that it's impossible for us to continue to work on the project after it's finished production, and left the factory. We leave that part to customers.

When running 4 batteries, the batteries must be run one in front of the other. I start with the first pack as far back in the tray as it will go and the other in front of it; per side. I did lower the struts by 1mm to compensate for the way I mounted the packs in the tray. One could shove a pack under the canopy opening, the battery tray is lone enough for that, and not have to adjust the struts, but I don't like digging out batteries from under the deck. The battery tray is 300mm long which extends under the deck.
Feb 28, 2016, 05:56 PM
Cool, thanks.

Are these still on track to start shipping 2nd week of March?
Mar 01, 2016, 12:22 PM
Thread OP
Hi Gman350. As of know, it is still looking that way. We hope to not have any delays and get these to customers as soon as possible.
Mar 01, 2016, 10:12 PM
Thanks Rafael. I pre-ordered one of these and can't wait

Yesterday it was beautiful and high 60s. Today mid-low 30s and windy as hell.
Mar 02, 2016, 05:53 AM
@ Rafael_Lopez. Haha, you have just talked me out of a Proboat purchase... I had been planning additional purchases round my Proboat of choice, and while looking for batteries etc., fell over your Zelos 36. So, the Miss Geico has reverted to the wish list, and the Zelos 36 is due for delivery in 48hrs . The Zelos 36 seems to offer most of the virtues I would like in a boat, major items like twin screw, and details like a ,"no curves" hatch join, for quick taping. There is more, much more, but I will check it out first. Rafael_Lopez. I am enjoying your input on this thread, very informative and professional, thank you. I have no doubt that Proboat are very happy that you are with them.... and not a competitor.
UPDATE. The Zelos 36 has been delivered to me , March 4th.
Last edited by VARSITY; Mar 04, 2016 at 06:48 PM.
Mar 02, 2016, 09:20 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman350
Thanks Rafael. I pre-ordered one of these and can't wait

Yesterday it was beautiful and high 60s. Today mid-low 30s and windy as hell.
Glad to hear the weather is starting to get mild where you are. Before you know it it will be full on boat season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VARSITY
@ Rafael_Lopez. Haha, you have just talked me out of a Proboat purchase... I had been planning additional purchases round my Proboat of choice, and while looking for batteries etc., fell over your Zelos 36. So, the Miss Geico has reverted to the wish list, and the Zelos 36 is due for delivery in 48hrs . The Zelos 36 seems to offer most of the virtues I would like in a boat, major items like twin screw, and details like a ,"no curves" hatch join, for quick taping. There is more, much more, but I will check it out first. Rafael_Lopez. I am enjoying your input on this thread, very informative and professional, thank you. I have no doubt that Proboat are very happy that you are with them.... and not a competitor.
Thanks for the kind words. It means a lot that my input is appreciated. Never hesitate to reach out to me via this forum, private message, or find me on Facebook, Rafael Pro Boat Lopez, if you have any questions or issues with our products.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010183246751
Mar 02, 2016, 05:46 PM
Thread OP
Hey guys, we made a video today that explains the battery configuration for this boat. Sorry, I lose my concentration when talking to a camera, but hope some of you find it helpful.
Pro Boat Zelos 36 Inch Twin Battery Configurations and Mainainence Tips (3 min 53 sec)
Mar 02, 2016, 10:30 PM
Hi Rafael, I was thinking about getting this but after seeing your video I'm sold. It's a really nice looking boat. What's the hump for on the rear of the boat (where the 'Z' is in Zelos), is it for aerodynamics?

Thanks
Mar 03, 2016, 11:53 AM
Thread OP
Soma888, I'm glad you found the information in the video useful. It really is a very stout built boat. The construction of the boat is unlike anything else ever offered by Pro Boat.

The hull is styled after a real boat, but I decided to change the back overhand, we made it round. The real one is rather square looking. That boat is quite popular in the R/C market and I wanted something that set us apart from all the other R/C models. As for the function, on the real boat the hump is there to house the huge engines required to push such a long boat, and there are usually large vents on the side to let air in to the engine bay. In our model, the hump is what allowed us to stand up the servo to use a push pull rudder system, which I feel gives the look of the boat more realism. Otherwise, we would have had to give it more free board, which would have made the boat look really un proportional.

Quick Reply