Jan 27, 2016, 09:39 AM
Product Developer-Pro Boat
Thread OP
Discussion

Pro Boat Zelos 36 Twin Brushless Catamaran RTR

Hello everyone. I wanted to share with you all the announcement of a new release debuting today at the Nuremberg Toy Fair, the Zelos 36 Twin Brushless Catamaran RTR. Please follow the link for now. I will upload some high quality pictures once I get on my laptop, later this morning.http://www.horizonhobby.com/zelos-36...l-rtr-prb08021
to remove ads between posts
Jan 27, 2016, 10:13 AM
Wow that thing is awesome!! Twin motor's, and a good looking hull.

Here is the link to Proboat's page

http://www.proboatmodels.com/Product...rodId=PRB08021
Jan 27, 2016, 01:33 PM
Thread OP
Pictures and video.

Product Video
Pro Boat Zelos™ 36 Twin Catamaran BL RTR (1 min 52 sec)

And of course a behind the scenes testing video.
Behind the scene-Pro Boat Zelos 36-Unpainted Sample Testing (2 min 21 sec)
Jan 27, 2016, 03:05 PM
Hello Rafal,

Congratulations! it will be a best seller not for the graphics or this colour, I hope it will not discourage people....
Very good setup, good speed, good drifter, good hardware!
A twin zelos 48 would be nice also!

Bravo!
Jan 27, 2016, 03:22 PM
Thread OP
Hi Brushman. The color is hit and miss unfortunately, like with anything else. Usually people that don't like it, have it grow on them; not everyone though. If you build a good enough product, people usually see past color. The good thing about the graphics is that they are not under clear and can easily be removed. There are plenty yellow race boats, real ones, which one could model the hull like if they don't like the graphics. I honestly wish we could ask our customers what color they like best, but as you can imagine, these things work better under secrecy, until they are announced.

I really do appreciate your input.
Jan 27, 2016, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushman
Hello Rafal,

Congratulations! it will be a best seller not for the graphics or this colour, I hope it will not discourage people....
Very good setup, good speed, good drifter, good hardware!
A twin zelos 48 would be nice also!

Bravo!
Yellow is most visible color
Jan 27, 2016, 05:53 PM
Seems like a similar deal to the Flowmaster from Hobbyking, although I'd presume this one won't leak so badly as the Flowmaster...

Looks great, can't wait to see some more videos of it in action from people who have bought it!
Jan 27, 2016, 07:17 PM
Thread OP
They are the same length, however, the Zelos 36 can handle 6S to each ESC. The boat comes with an adapter that allows the user to run both ESCs off of 2, 11.1V LiPos so each ESC gets 6s. That's how we get 60+ mph, which I don't think the Flowmaster is capable of, out of the box. Other than that, motor size, KV, ESC Amperage, beam width, locking canopy, push pull rudder......really the only similarity is that they are 36" Twin powered boats.

I'll work on getting better videos of my painted hull running around too.
Jan 27, 2016, 07:57 PM
Rafael, I think this thing is awesome. I'll be saving my lunch money and eating ramen noodles for a while lol
Jan 28, 2016, 06:11 AM
very flat sponsons
Jan 28, 2016, 06:20 AM
Love it .... but 2000 KV on 6S ... Wow ... 6 s i 21-22V under load .... 44.000 rpm ---SCREAMING
Jan 28, 2016, 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael_Lopez
They are the same length, however, the Zelos 36 can handle 6S to each ESC. The boat comes with an adapter that allows the user to run both ESCs off of 2, 11.1V LiPos so each ESC gets 6s. That's how we get 60+ mph, which I don't think the Flowmaster is capable of, out of the box. Other than that, motor size, KV, ESC Amperage, beam width, locking canopy, push pull rudder......really the only similarity is that they are 36" Twin powered boats.

I'll work on getting better videos of my painted hull running around too.
Yeah the best I got with the Flowmaster is low 50's with a good set of props. Leaks like a bloody sieve though, as some of the tolerances in the fittings are dubious at best.

I imagine your new boat doesn't have quite the same issue, judging by the quality of your other products. 6s on each ESC is mental haha!
Jan 28, 2016, 10:29 AM
Thread OP
Restart, the bottom of the boat is the same design as our 29" hull,MG29/BJ29, which has the same flat bottom design and is what allows the boat to corner so well, along with the extra width of the hull.

Killerbob, it's 2 of the same power systems that are in the MG29/BJ29 which have been running the high KV motor with no real issue, since I took over and lowered the timing on the ESCs. I realize the concern for the high unloaded RPMs wearing out parts, but who really runs the motors unloaded, right?LoL Darin Jordan has the loaded RPM for these motors, I'll ask him for it and share it; I believe last time I saw the data it was in the high 30K, which is not low by old FE standard, but works well with little to no issues as long as one greases regularly.

Amperage for both motors is between 75-80 amps, feeding off the same battery packs. Divide that for each motor. It's really quite a docile system, over all.

The Angry Saxton, the boat seal quite well and I never experienced water breaching the hull unless I ran too long without greasing the flex shafts. High RPM setup require more constant greasing. This is explained in the manual. We moved to a denser canopy foam than in previous boats which, combined with the 4 thumb screws, requires no real need for taping the canopy, though I never run my boats without tape.

So the short answer is no, our stingers don't leak; myself and my testers never experienced it.
Jan 28, 2016, 11:10 AM
Rafael - I'm sure it is tested - and you're right - under load is a different story...

INPUT: Like your boats , but hate the pile of Spectrum radios in the corner. Would really like ARF versions .. with motor and ESC but without RX and TX ... Might even be nice with versions without TX, TX, ESC's and motors
Jan 28, 2016, 11:51 AM
Thread OP
Bob, I appreciate the input. I'll bring this up during our next creative meeting. I'd honestly like to offer a plug and play version, like you suggested, but that requires another part number which can confuse some people.

Great input, thanks!

Quick Reply