New Spektrum DX8G2 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 27, 2016, 08:01 AM
Discussion

New Spektrum DX8G2

http://spektrumrc.com/Products/Defau...ProdId=SPM8000

Busting this out from the now-renamed DX20 thread.

It's basically DX9 guts & LCD in a DX7 case.

Looks great, but I don't see how it fits in the line. There's just not that much gap between the DX7 and DX9, and the limitations of the DX7 are more physical (no sliders) than software, which the DX8 doesn't address.

That said, at the introductory price (same as DX7), it's a no-brainer over the DX7.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 27, 2016, 09:15 AM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
...snip... Looks great, but I don't see how it fits in the line. There's just not that much gap between the DX7 and DX9, ...snip...
We may sometimes not have the same view that the "Marketing" guys have but I know one thing and that is they know their stuff.

Their stuff sells and with the support that's out there for these radios I'm sure it's going to do well.

Just wish the case would have been more DX9 then DX6/7
Jan 27, 2016, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip
We may sometimes not have the same view that the "Marketing" guys have but I know one thing and that is they know their stuff.

Their stuff sells and with the support that's out there for these radios I'm sure it's going to do well.

Just wish the case would have been more DX9 then DX6/7
I'd be kicking myself if this was the DX7 software in the DX9 case rather than vice versa (as I just bought a NOS X9503 for DX7 money, needed sliders but only had DX7 budget).

As it is, I see this stomping all over the DX7, especially with the diversity DX6 coming as well.

At release pricing, the DX8 is a no-brainer over the DX7. After release it's still pretty close in price with better software, but the flip side is the DX7 is really not much less radio for less money.

The alternate option is the DX7 getting a pricecut to be closer to the DX6 in price, thus maintaining some cost separation.
Jan 27, 2016, 09:44 AM
price drives many sales - as you just noted.
brand switching for 50 bucks difference is not uncommon.
Spektrum has developed ' a perfect product for every budget.
Jan 27, 2016, 07:12 PM
Taranis Tyro...
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson
price drives many sales - as you just noted.
brand switching for 50 bucks difference is not uncommon.
Spektrum has developed ' a perfect product for every budget.
Well, they certainly have something for everyone over $200, though I think perfect is probably stretching it a bit, especially for power users.

New DX8 looks fine, but I still wonder why they have 4 TXs from 6-9 channels - it feels like this is more likely to canibalize buyers from the 7 and 9 than attract newcomers. I guess developing this from the 7 and 9 must have been a relatively low cost exercise cf something truly brand new, but It would still not surprise me if they quietly dropped the 7 from the lineup at some point to help with economies of scale.
Jan 27, 2016, 08:51 PM
I have a question about the 2000 lion battery in the DX 8. Is it the same as the DX 7 G2 with the on board charging system, or is it like the old DX 8, DX9 with the charging system in the radio? John
Jan 27, 2016, 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrooks01
I have a question about the 2000 lion battery in the DX 8. Is it the same as the DX 7 G2 with the on board charging system, or is it like the old DX 8, DX9 with the charging system in the radio? John
I'd assume it's the same as the DX7G2 (and optional DX6) battery, since it seems that the DX8 is built on the same basic case as the DX7
Jan 27, 2016, 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyB
Well, they certainly have something for everyone over $200, though I think perfect is probably stretching it a bit, especially for power users.

New DX8 looks fine, but I still wonder why they have 4 TXs from 6-9 channels - it feels like this is more likely to canibalize buyers from the 7 and 9 than attract newcomers. I guess developing this from the 7 and 9 must have been a relatively low cost exercise cf something truly brand new, but It would still not surprise me if they quietly dropped the 7 from the lineup at some point to help with economies of scale.
Yeah, pretty much the same take here, I found it odd since the DX7 was the newest in the line and the DX8 all but replaces it.

An update to the DX6i made the most sense to me (it's by far the most ancient and I'd like to see a basic computer radio based on the Dxe replace it) with a refresh of the DX9 being what I thought would be the next most likely. Hard to top the current DX9, but it's the oldest Airware Tx in the line by a fair margin.
Jan 28, 2016, 05:28 PM
It does seem like Spektrum often finds themselves creating whacky situations with each new release. When the DX9 was released it made the DX18 G1 obsolete because that radio didn't have voice alerts. And so it goes again.

If I were running a radio company, I'd take a chapter from the automobile playbook. Instead of having different design and channel counts across the line, I'd offer high channel count across a range of "trim levels" where additional cost gets you nice aluminum gimbals, blue tooth connectivity, wifi, or whatever. Consistent packaging and core boards would offer economies of scale, and the entire line could be refreshed annually so that you never had an out of date flagship.

But for now I don't run a radio company. Oh well...
Jan 28, 2016, 06:47 PM
As a current and have been for a long time DX8 user, this is the upgrade I have been waiting for. Nothing wrong with my trusty DX8, so I could not justify buying a 9 and a 18 was overkill. But this.... Well this is a upgrade! Sold!!
Jan 28, 2016, 07:11 PM
The land down under
The newer G2 radios are much better ergonomically.
Jan 28, 2016, 07:35 PM
click HERE 2 C my BLOG
Quote:
Originally Posted by simo71
The newer G2 radios are much better ergonomically.
i have the DX9 and im considering changing it for the new DX8G2 because of the slimmer form factor. ive small hands and struggle to reach the switches at times...all thumbs.!
had a DX7G2 and it was nicer in to hold as its not as bulky as the DX9

...am i mad to take a step back in one sense ( one less ch, ) as in dont use the sliders on any of my planes. any thoughts?
Jan 28, 2016, 10:09 PM
The land down under
Quote:
Originally Posted by eirlink
i have the DX9 and im considering changing it for the new DX8G2 because of the slimmer form factor. ive small hands and struggle to reach the switches at times...all thumbs.!
had a DX7G2 and it was nicer in to hold as its not as bulky as the DX9

...am i mad to take a step back in one sense ( one less ch, ) as in dont use the sliders on any of my planes. any thoughts?
Well if you liked the DX7 G2 over the Dx9 id say it's a no brainer, unless you need that one extra channel I would say the DX8 G2 is the ticket.
Jan 29, 2016, 10:45 PM
Head in the clouds
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrooks01
Just preordered the DX8 G2 and called HH before doing so. They told me the battery and charger are exactly the same as the new DX7. Was just about to buy the DX7 and had to hold off for a few days. Went back online and saw the preorder for the DX8 G2 for the same price. I like that it has the Diversity Antenna, additional channel and a few more mixing options. This will be my first Spektrum TX. I've been using a Walkera Devo 8S which is fantastic, but slowly switching over to Blade heli's and HH aircraft. Hope I like it!
Jun 13, 2016, 06:33 PM
So I was just about to pull trigger on a new dx8 but I ran across a closeout dx7 (TX only) for $170. Considering you can easily get 10% discount on horizon, would a dx7 be the better buy considering its now $100 less? I have a dx6g2, but needing a gain knob and a 7th channel for some flybarless programming. So, for me, is the diversity antenna worth 100 bucks?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk