Blade Zeyrok - Page 50 - RC Groups
Sep 13, 2017, 05:47 PM
AMA xxx6793/ NAMBA 1054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix239
Maidened the Zeyrok today plus two extra flights.

First impressions: As reported by others, not exactly over endowed in the power department and I was a little disappointed to be honest. Just a bit more oomph would be nice to have. Apart from that general flight performance is very nice and the quad flies very smoothly and tracks really well in a straight line. How much of that can be attributed to my DX8 I don't know. I use a lot of stick tension as I often fly F3A type aerobatic models and this probably made a difference too.

All three modes worked perfectly as advertised as set up in my DX8 following the guide in the manual. I could imagine the Zeyrok being a good intro to quads for a seasoned plane flyer with a Spektrum Tx.

After my experience today I think the idea of attaching the 27g Mini Mobius needs a rethink. It would probably fly but the performance is going to suffer too much in my opinion although I will give it a try. However, I do have an old 808 cam somewhere so that could be a good alternative; thanks for the idea Swissete.

I'm hoping to get out again tomorrow and have 7 lipos ready and waiting for a more prolonged flying session.
Give these tiny brushed motor a break between packs!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 13, 2017, 09:09 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix239
Just a bit more oomph would be nice to have.
Micro Motor Warehouse "Black" 8.5mm motors zip the Zeyrok up a bit.
Sep 14, 2017, 02:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketsled666
Micro Motor Warehouse "Black" 8.5mm motors zip the Zeyrok up a bit.
Be careful with faster motors, the stress would go then mainly to the ESC and potentially to the batteries with more amp draw.
Sep 16, 2017, 01:13 AM
They work just fine. Like I said.

The only problem is that they're higher KV. Which isn't a problem if you're after more performance. But it is a little of a problem because the props/gearing are on the low side for the faster motors and as a result the motors run hot. The stock motors don't last all that long, the MMWH motors wear out faster than the stock motors.

The quad will behave like the battery is no good (no capacity) when the motors wear out. But the problem isn't the battery, it's the current being drawn by the used-up motors. Different batteries won't make a difference but different motors will. I do a lot of indoor flying in the winter and I fly the Zeyrok FPV a lot. I've gone through 2 sets of stock motors and 1 set of MMWH Black motors. Currently flying on another set of stock motors because I'm getting sick of replacing motors and stock will last longer.
Sep 16, 2017, 01:13 PM
Does having the motors enclosed in the arms hurt their life? They must run hot.
Sep 16, 2017, 08:41 PM
Well, there are those louvered vents to help with that. But for quads that use these small brushed motors, there's really no way to hold the motor except by wrapping something around it. So it's a shortcoming of this entire class of aircraft.

Brushless motors have threaded holes in the end bells that are used to mount the face of the motor, so the motor barrel is in "free air" and cooling is maximized.
Yesterday, 10:07 AM
I've experimented with a 1s 950mah just hovering but with the added weight and consumption of a VTX (100mah) + camera.

I was shocked as it lasted 10 minutes hovering withe the extra weight and consumption. That means that with normal flying it will last at least 11-12 mins.

What I didn't like at all is that when saw the low batt warning lights I landed just 5 seconds later and the battery had only 3.54v after resting. It should warn much earlier!!
Yesterday, 04:03 PM
I've flown with 950mah lipos from the outset. I started cautiously with 6 minute flights and now I'm at 7 minute flights. The greatest consumption from any one battery has been 555 mah during a flight when the quad was flown particularly hard. This in turn may lead one to think that longer flights are possible. However, I feel the flight times quoted in the previous post and the associated resting voltage of the battery indicate that a more considered approach be taken.

I have always used the 70% rule with all my batteries, ie, I aim not to discharge them below 70% of their capacity and this has served me well over the years with most lipos reading a resting volatage of around 3.8v to 3.85v which is close to ideal for storage.

So with that in mind I consider the practical capacity of my 950 mah lipos as 665 mah, This very conservative figure allows for some flexibility if conditions dictate extra flying time is necessary or if the quad is flown harder than usual for whatever reason.. So, factoring in my highest discharge so far of 555 mah and doing the maths gives a theorteical maxiximum flight time of 8.3 minutes. So, perhaps I may extend flights to 8 minutes. However, at the moment I feel my conservative flight time provides a practical balance between flight time and battery care.

The other factor here is the heat and stress on the tiny brushed motors associated with prolonged flights.

As a sort of update, after a total of 20 flights on my Zeyrok I finally get where it's coming from in terms of flight performance and now really appreciate it for what it is. And, that for me is a smooth flying, straight tracking cruiser that can be flown with some precision. My initial disappointment has disappeared and in many ways I prefer it to my XK X251.
Last edited by Phoenix239; Yesterday at 04:53 PM.
Yesterday, 05:29 PM
Could you guys point me to some 950mAh batteries for the Zeyrok?
Today, 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcongsr
Could you guys point me to some 950mAh batteries for the Zeyrok?
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...html?wrh_pdp=3