Mar 13, 2016, 11:34 PM
I like quadcopters.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 14, 2016, 04:10 PM
My favorite hobbies for the last 15 years have been some kind of motor racing (car, bikes, karts, etc). Racing is extremely expensive on almost any level (I bet even non-motorsport racing gets expensive). The cost of quadcopter racing is so low that it pulled me in and away from my expensive toys/hobbies and made an addict out of me. I can build a whole racing multirotor for the cost of a single tire that will not last me even a whole weekend.

I like what is happening but I am not an FPV "purist".
Mar 14, 2016, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalla
My favorite hobbies for the last 15 years have been some kind of motor racing (car, bikes, karts, etc). Racing is extremely expensive on almost any level (I bet even non-motorsport racing gets expensive). The cost of quadcopter racing is so low that it pulled me in and away from my expensive toys/hobbies and made an addict out of me. I can build a whole racing multirotor for the cost of a single tire that will not last me even a whole weekend.

I like what is happening but I am not an FPV "purist".
^^^ This x 1000!

Thumbs up to you, sir!
Mar 15, 2016, 01:21 AM
"Furadi"
So having competed in both DRL and the WDP I have a new found appreciation for the way DRL does things.

Building 4 rigs, and worrying about day to day technical rule changes was... a nightmare. People were having to change things like LED color the day of the semifinals.

Pre recording all the races then posting condensed polish version > a glitchy livestream with bad commentary.

Yes, some people may not agree with DRL or think that it's "scripted". As a pilot I'm incredibly grateful to just show up and fly...
Mar 16, 2016, 04:53 PM
Just a momment...just a moment
The first 20 minutes or so of this rather long podcast (video version here) has a little info on the quads and radio tech used. One nugget: the AUW of the quads used in Miami was 900 g.
Mar 16, 2016, 11:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conradm
So having competed in both DRL and the WDP I have a new found appreciation for the way DRL does things.

Building 4 rigs, and worrying about day to day technical rule changes was... a nightmare. People were having to change things like LED color the day of the semifinals.

Pre recording all the races then posting condensed polish version > a glitchy livestream with bad commentary.

Yes, some people may not agree with DRL or think that it's "scripted". As a pilot I'm incredibly grateful to just show up and fly...
I am new to the hobby, the DRL got me interested with their Hell's Gate race and I purchased a drone after a few weeks of research.

I'm confused because everyone says nothing like the WDP has been put on, scale or otherwise.............and I'm looking at the Miami DRL event and thinking..............really? I know it wasn't as open as WDP, but the track looked better (imo, the WDP looked more art-like), it came off as more polished/professional, and I got to see racing. I've seen other DRL pilots post that nothing compared to how on point the DRL was and WDP pilots talk about how much was fudged up at WDP.

Just baffles me why so many in the hobby seem to disregard the DRL. I cannot say I wouldn't be into it if not for the DLR, but I may have gotten here a few months later if not for the DRL.

edit: Oh, and communities like MultiGP are what has made this an attractive hobby. I don't have one closer than 90m away from me (so I might have to create one once I am confidant), but I'll be making the trip to see them when I can!
Mar 17, 2016, 12:17 PM
I think many disregard the DRL because the promo material was not aimed at us. It was aimed at ther general public and completely eliminated the contruction aspect that many people want to see.

Luckily the actual races were edited in a nice way and not loaded with the drama that the promo material had.

As for the WDP. Watching it live was like watching paint dry. I suspect that the footage will be polished up and the people seeing it will not understand why those of us who saw it live thought it was aweful.

Something to keep in mind is that all of this is very new. People are trying to figure out a way to make this big and get some money out of it. Given some time people will get this figured out and we will get to see some exciting racing.
Mar 17, 2016, 12:49 PM
The most obvious reason people in the hobby really paid attention to the WDP was the prize money. That was the real stand up and take notice difference.

Each organization has had several firsts. In addition to the large prizes, WDP did an endurance race with pit stops in a way that no one had done before, focused on teams rather than just pilots, had amazing advance press coverage, and really put some thought into the course design.

DRL had TV style coverage of the race at a level no one else has done before, really focused on flying skills rather than building and flying like nearly everyone else, and has had a much larger public impact due to their well produced YouTube videos.

One way to summarize the differences is that WDP really focused on things that matter to people already in the sport, while DRL really focused on trying to create a significant fan base.
Mar 17, 2016, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonLion
The most obvious reason people in the hobby really paid attention to the WDP was the prize money. That was the real stand up and take notice difference.

Each organization has had several firsts. In addition to the large prizes, WDP did an endurance race with pit stops in a way that no one had done before, focused on teams rather than just pilots, had amazing advance press coverage, and really put some thought into the course design.

DRL had TV style coverage of the race at a level no one else has done before, really focused on flying skills rather than building and flying like nearly everyone else, and has had a much larger public impact due to their well produced YouTube videos.

One way to summarize the differences is that WDP really focused on things that matter to people already in the sport, while DRL really focused on trying to create a significant fan base.
I appreciate your views and summation of the two leagues and their differences. However, as a hobbyist pilot, I thought the WDP had an awesome course, but it was quite boring to watch. The prize money was a huge draw also. On the other hand, DRL, really gets my attention and keeps it. I feel there are so many outlets that can aid me in the design and construction of the aircraft that I don't feel the least bit slighted by the DRL's exclusion of that component.

Personally, I enjoy watching pilots lightyears ahead of me in terms of skill, flying in amazing places. Gates of Hell and the Miami Dolphin's Stadium were awesome venues for a race! Ultimately, I believe both leagues have their merits.

Further, as you stated, this is just the beginning and I agree. I hope some group or groups are able to capture the fun and excitement I feel for this hobby in efforts to spread the popularity and make it possible for the best of the best to make a living. I don't expect everyone will want to "nerd-out" on details of construction and design, so I think DRL is on to something. Hell, even a couple pilots have expressed how much they appreciate just being able to show up and race. I'm not near where they are in talent, but I can see how it would get old fast...constantly building and rebuilding.

I' ve already watched all the videos I can find and can't wait for more DRL footage, but that's just me!
Mar 22, 2016, 05:41 PM
Has anybody sorted out the release order or race chronological order for the DRL? That's my only real complaint so far. I can't tell what race I'm watching and if it's in the second heat race or the semi final. The verbiage on the video kinda threw me for a loop.
May 18, 2019, 10:53 PM

Wwe

Actually, DRL is more like a NASCAR of FPV - especially as it's racing, not wrestling..

Quick Reply