This thread is privately moderated by Alias_Hendrik, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 26, 2016, 01:04 PM
Thread OP
Idea

Syma X5C lost quad alarm buzzer

Thanks to Milan_Croatia in the Bayangtoys X8 thread showing a buzzer added to the Bayangtoys X8 i took a spare Syma V5 board to try it out too so i could mount it in my Fy326 which has a V5 board inside.

Basically the buzzer sounds when the leds are flashing and is silent when the leds are solid. So yes the buzzer will sound when the quad is powered up until the quad is bound and the leds are solid.
When the tx is switched off the leds flash and the buzzer sounds. If while flying the leds start to flash because of LVC the buzzer should sound too although like we know there is not much time between LVC and the quad coming down lol.

- The Buzzer i used: continuous active tone buzzer3 volt DC. Working voltage 2 - 5 volt DC. Current (max) 30 mA.

- Transistor BC548B

- Resistor 100 ohm

-Resistor 3.9K (3900 ohm)

For mounting i glued in the buzzer but before doing that i made a small hole in the shell under the buzzer so the sound can get out. You can solder the collector from the transistor directly to the negative pin from the buzzer. The postive pin from the buzzer goes with a wire to the + (positive) led solderpad on the V5 board.

One side of the 100 ohm resistor is soldered to the base from transistor and the other side from the REsistor goes via a wire to the - (negative) led solderpad on the V5 board or you can choose to the negative side from a led (in my case).

The other resistor 3.9K is between the + and - led connection on the Syma V5 board (in my case). But you can place the resistor also on the buzzer as long as the connections are correct.

The emitter pin from the transistor goes via a wire to a ground solderpad on the V5 board.

Only in my test setup instead of trying different fixed resistor values i used a variable resistor to easy determine which fixed value resistor i needed in the end. I have one led soldered to the V5 board and the 3 more leds on the experiment board are to simulate leds in quad.
The video below is my experimetal setup on a spare Syma V5 board and the components for easy use mounted on a i don't know the name of it in English
Syma X5C alarm buzzer on V5 board (3 min 17 sec)
Last edited by Alias_Hendrik; Feb 08, 2016 at 11:41 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 26, 2016, 03:20 PM
Thank you for credit. Tell me something: I can see inductor on this board (unlike Bayangtoys X8, where is no such thing), does it serve as voltage buster? If so, then you may use 5V for example for powering buzzer which is in series with transistor. This way you can get louder sound. For people who found this sound annoying, I can assure you that this sound is a bless when you lost your lovely quad or hexacopter.

milan
---

P.S. Today flight - new personal FPV record with Bayangtoys X8 - over 800 meters. Video is in preparation, link will be posted (when finishes upload) on previous topic: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...5#post33830291
Jan 28, 2016, 08:28 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan_Croatia
Thank you for credit. Tell me something: I can see inductor on this board (unlike Bayangtoys X8, where is no such thing), does it serve as voltage buster? If so, then you may use 5V for example for powering buzzer which is in series with transistor. This way you can get louder sound. For people who found this sound annoying, I can assure you that this sound is a bless when you lost your lovely quad or hexacopter.

milan
---

P.S. Today flight - new personal FPV record with Bayangtoys X8 - over 800 meters. Video is in preparation, link will be posted (when finishes upload) on previous topic: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...5#post33830291
Thanks, yep the coil (in this case) is part of a voltage booster to 5V which in turn feeds the voltage regulator which delivers 3.3 volt to the chips on the board.
But to use the 5 volt / finding a good soldering connection point, the board needs to be removed from the quad. So for more easier mod for others i opted for using the + from the led output which is 3 volt and the sound coming from the buzzer at 3 volt is ok.
May 12, 2016, 06:06 AM
Thanks for this great thing, I've already ordered the buzzer!
Last weekend I've searched for my x5c with my kids for about 2 hours and I almost gave up . With this buzzer it will be much easier.

I have two questions:
Will these resistors affect the battery flying time?
How much it weights? Should i go with smd resistors?
May 14, 2016, 04:35 PM
Thread OP
Nope will not effect flying time, the buzzer works only when the leds are flashing. The buzzer itself was 2 gram i believe but don't know what the added weight from the resistors and my wires and heat shrink was. Using smd resistors is more neath but maybe a little fiddly? Although the normal resistors + transistor soldering on the buzzer was a little fiddly too But if you are used to work with smd it will make it for sure more compact.
Jun 08, 2016, 04:18 PM
The buzzer arrived and I've finished mine.
It weighs 2,2 grams.
Thanks!
Last edited by Priest77; Jun 10, 2016 at 05:52 AM.
Jun 11, 2016, 05:14 AM
Thread OP
Great! Nice clean job
Jul 07, 2016, 10:48 PM
Are we not men? We are DEVO!
nice!
how hard would it be to add in a timer? so that whenever the lights blink, a 5 min timer starts, then the beeper sounds. that way you wont get beep prior to binding, and it gives you 5 mins to down a beer before looking for your lost baby.

Edit: looks like it exists, but only from mother russia! and for $17

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-Remote...-/261973217646

now just need to know what that timer circuit they use is.....
Last edited by xanuser; Jul 07, 2016 at 10:53 PM. Reason: found it! (sort of)
Jul 14, 2016, 09:15 AM
Thread OP
i guess it could be done but it's adding weight and each gram counts if already carrying fpv stuff on a syma.
Aug 04, 2016, 11:11 PM
I successfully did this to my friends XK X250. Loud as hell from inside the body, its perfect. Thanks guys!
Aug 11, 2016, 05:17 PM
Thread OP
Great! Good to hear it worked on a XK X250 too.
Sep 07, 2016, 05:09 PM
Krotow
Did that same for my XK X250 at yesterday

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...72&postcount=6

The idea is basically the same - sound a beep when navigation LED's are off. Will help to know when battery is near empty or quad is missing somewhere near in grass. Which is particularly difficult for X250 because of thin body which can perfectly hide in tall grass at two meters from you.

To X250 owners I suggest to change the pale forward yellow lights to SMD lighting LED's (5050 white ones or similar).

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...27&postcount=5

This greatly enhance the visibility at the medium-long distance and makes wonderful night flights

I didn't like the simplified buzzer switch circuit at start of this thread because in X250 it will pass particularly large current back and forth through input resistor. I'm already changed the X250 stock navigation LED's to lighting SMD LED's with larger current draw so didn't wanted to disrupt the navigation lights control circuit even more. The circuit at begin of this thread in my case didn't work correctly either. So in end I finished mine alarm modification with two transistors. However this circuit can be improved as well to draw less current on resistors by changing the R1 to 220..680 kOm and R2 to 2.2..6.8 kOm. You can see here, why (use Chrome browser).
Last edited by Krotow; Sep 08, 2016 at 06:20 AM.
Feb 20, 2017, 08:19 PM

syma beeper

Hello. I tried this on my new Syma X5SW-1 but I used a 2N3904 with the 3.9k and the 100 ohm resisters with the 3v buzzer but when I turned it on, it keeps beeping and it will not let the leds flash right, they just go dim. I will put the links below so you know the parts I used. On the X5SW-1 the board is green and the power switch is mounted on the board. I have not been able to find a picture online of the new board, but the board should not matter if I am right. Thanks for any help your guys can provide.

Buzzer
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3.9k resister
http://www.ebay.com/itm/232115423500...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

100 ohm resister from my electronics box
Feb 21, 2017, 10:12 AM
Thread OP
By using a 2N3904 did you check if the emitter and collector pins from the 2N3904 are located in the same position as the ones from the BC548B ?

https://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/...nts/2N3904.pdf

http://www.student.montefiore.ulg.ac...tion/C547B.pdf
Apr 20, 2017, 09:45 PM
I did this to my X5C-1, worked like a charm. Ran the 3.9K resistor in with the 100ohm resistor as in Priest77 post instead of soldering it at the board.

I also tried the exact same build to use in this X5HC type clone I have. Didn't quite work exactly right, here's what this one does.

1. As soon as the battery is plugged in, the buzzer starts making a weak tone. Even with the Power switch in the off position. Buzzer is connected to one of the front LED wirings by itself. The other front LED also illuminates slightly.

2. When the power switch is turned on, the buzzer and leds start syncing (although the front LED still doesn't completely turn off- it just goes from bright to dim).

3. When the Quad is bound, the buzzer turns off and the LEDs are fully lite -Including the front LED.

I thought maybe this was a resistor value issue on the 3.9 or something. I believe it's wired up the same as the X5C.

Quick Reply