Jan 24, 2016, 04:20 AM
Airliner Builder
Build Log

1/16 ATR 42 Depron Build

1/16 ATR 42 build from depron and paper model plans. Specs:

60.5'' (1.54m) wingspan
56'' (1.42m) length

5 channels (vane flaps, fixed gear)

I decided to scrap my 1/11 Merlin build and use the electronics to start a new project. The Merlin sat in my garage for nearly a year which caused some warping issues that I didn't want to deal with.

I am hoping to keep this project under 3.5 lbs (1.6kg)!
Plans are available here and are blown up 350% to 1/16 scale.

Ethan
to remove ads between posts
Jan 24, 2016, 04:24 AM
Airliner Builder
I decided to start with the back end of the fuselage and build the tail structure directly on top of the fuselage like I did on my 767 . The skin is 3mm and the formers are 6mm thick.

Tomorrow I should have the vertical stabilizer finished
Jan 24, 2016, 08:10 PM
Skylar's People
Another nice choice! I like the DHL livery too... very easy to see.
Jan 25, 2016, 02:53 AM
Airliner Builder
Yup, I'm thinking about going with the DHL scheme. The red adds some nice contrast too

I decided to put aside my 767 project until spring because my BAE J31 is starting to fall into disrepair after 500+ touch and gos on my club's grass runway. EDFs are impossible to fly during the wet months so I am in dire need of another turboprop!
Jan 25, 2016, 06:05 AM
HappyGoLucky
Awesome! and great choice of livery. It says something about the skill of the pilot when his models start falling apart due to the sheer number of start/landing cycles ;-)
Jan 25, 2016, 08:09 AM
Beautiful work.
Nice to see a true stressed skin monocoque structure and in 3mm Depron.
Its almost exactly the same size as my Depron Bombardier Dash 8 Q400.
Jan 25, 2016, 04:05 PM
Airliner Builder
Thanks guys!!

@Quorneng - your Q400 is build is definitely an inspiration for this project. In fact, I recently picked up a Dash 8 gear set for a 2 meter Q300 project this summer. I am slowly building my skills to work my way up to a larger scale
I would prefer to use 2mm skin and 3mm formers but the grass runway I use causes a ton of stress on these models from all the bouncing around so I am sacrificing weight for durability.

Ethan
Jan 25, 2016, 05:05 PM
Wow! Another airliner? Very nice! The plans looks very good too! Much better than the plans im using for my Fokker f-28 build. On the site i also found the plans for a 737 i have been looking for! Thanks for sharing! I only wish i had your time. /Mogge
Jan 27, 2016, 01:45 AM
Airliner Builder
Yes, the 737-200 plans on that site are really nice! I want to build a 70mm -200 someday but it would have to be large to get the EDFs to fit inside the small nacelles.
Where did you find your F28 plans? How is that build going? Looking forward to a build thread
Jan 27, 2016, 02:30 AM
Great prototype, subscribed!

Currently I build ATR-42 in 1:16 scale too.
Jan 27, 2016, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAGliderGuy
Yes, the 737-200 plans on that site are really nice! I want to build a 70mm -200 someday but it would have to be large to get the EDFs to fit inside the small nacelles.
Where did you find your F28 plans? How is that build going? Looking forward to a build thread
The 737-200 have jt8d engines (same as dc9 / md-80). In 1/15 scale It will accept 64mm fans.

I kind of stumbled over Neffwaffes secret Dutch cardmodel site:

http://www.zeistbouwplaten.nl

Want to build a 747, DC-10 or a DC-8?

I will soon start to build a F-28-4000 in 1/15 scale, i just need to do some more planning. /Mogge
Jan 27, 2016, 10:07 PM
Airliner Builder
@WildFalcon - Wow, nice balsa build! I have been following your build in the rcdesign.ru forum. I think I will make the flaps on my build in the same method you did.

@Mogge - That is true about the jt8d engines. I had to enlarge the nacelles on a 1/20 DC-9-15 I build a few years ago to fit 64mm fans and it just didn't look "right" so I would have to build a very large model like your F-28 and MD87.
Does the F28 plans you are using include fuselage formers for the nose and tail section? The DC-10 plans on that site look very nice

Ethan
Jan 28, 2016, 04:37 PM
There are no formers in the tailsection, but its simple to make two to support the vertical stabilizer. The nose section has two formers. It is a very simple model and it needs some work to look right. / Mogge
Jan 30, 2016, 10:45 PM
Airliner Builder
@Mogge - I guess some formers are better than none. I have been using the eclipse draw tool in microsoft word to make former shapes for the nose and tail sections on this build. It takes some 'guess and check' work to get them to fit correctly but it definitely helps hold the shape of the fuselage.

Today I finished framing the vertical and horizontal stabilizers and glued in the two servos. I am using a 9g for the rudder and a metal gear 12g for the elevators which will be connected later with a simple piece of bent wire.

Next weekend I will get the main fuselage tube built!

Ethan
Feb 08, 2016, 07:42 PM
WAGliderGuy
Looks good.
The tailplane looks to have a rather 'thick' section.