Jan 23, 2016, 12:41 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Bird with no tail feathers ? Fly's fine ?

This female Cardinal with no tail feathers has been at my feeders several times during this snow storm. Really surprised at how well she can fly with no rear stabilizer or rudder ,
Jan 23, 2016, 12:46 PM
Official Old Git!
Looks a might cool there, rockyboy2.

We've had a couple of days of frost - now back to warmer rain!
Jan 23, 2016, 12:53 PM
Thread OP
The annual average snow fall here in KY is 3 inches , we got 11 inches on top of 1/2 inch of ice , i have been on generator power since about 5 pm yesterday . Tonight its down to low teens with a stiff 20 mph wind . hate to think about the homeless folks in Nashville .
Jan 23, 2016, 12:54 PM
Gravity-Compliant User
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyboy2
This female Cardinal with no tail feathers has been at my feeders several times during this snow storm. Really surprised at how well she can fly with no rear stabilizer or rudder ,
You may want to check out the "Nurflügel" thread for the aerodynamics. Bats are good at this as well.

(You guys got hit bad. Freezing temps here, with about 2" of snow on the ground.)
Last edited by Zaurak3; Jan 23, 2016 at 01:01 PM.
Jan 23, 2016, 01:08 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaurak3
You may want to check out the "Nurflügel" thread for the aerodynamics. Bats are good at this as well.

(You guys got hit bad. Freezing temps here, with about 2" of snow on the ground.)
will do , yea bats can do it , but they have some control that birds dont , i think bats can change the shape of their skin covered wings in a way that wings with feathers can not . maybe ?

Quick Reply