Jan 22, 2016, 12:56 PM
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Cheerson CX-35, the big brushed 5.8G FPV quad w/ 1-axis gimbal (under construction)

INTRODUCTION

The CX-3x's serie introduces the altitude-hold feature to make the life more easy for beginners. After the CX-33, a Y6 hexacopter, the CX-32 a classic quadcopter, here is the CX-35 a large quadcopter model of course including the altitude hold, autolanding, autotake off functions but also a 1-axis gimbal-camera-5.8G VTX combo.

BOX CONTENT

+ 1 x Cheerson CX-35 (with a 2S 120mAh LiPo with JST connector)
+ 1 x Transmitter including a 4.3" FPV montor (using 4xAAA batteries not included, Ni-Mh are working)
+ 1 x Charger using balancer plug
+ 4 x Prop guards
+ 1 x Gimbal-cam-FPV combo
+ 2 x Screwdriver
+ 1 x 2GB microSD card
+ 1 x USB microSC card reader
+ 2 x Instruction manual (one English and one chinese )

OVERVIEW

The CX-35 is build with a very high quality plastic, a matte one flexible enought to absorbe most type of crashed. In the other hand, it's not the lightest solution... no free lunch.

-Front view

A ground clearance of 11cm

-Side view

with the landing gear and gimbal-cam installed

-Rear view

the battery bay

with the battery installed

maybe a slight longer battery could be installed.

-Upper view

-Bottom view

A power switch and two connetors one to power the gimbal and dialog

Large LEDs are present, ideal for night flying.

-Weight

with the battery inside

and the landing gear

and final weight

Motors

Ball-bearings are here ... a good news to reduce friction

Unfortunatly, you have a brass pinion in contact with the nylon gear. Versus timen the meshing can be a problem

Motors are similar in size with the Syma X8 model: some big brushed motors.

LiPo

A 1300mAh 2S model ending with JST connector. No discharge rate indication. For a 466g machine, an "only" 1300mAh should limit a lot the flight duration.

Camera module

Raw video

Cheerson CX-35 raw video sample (2 min 47 sec)

Disassembling

At least a 10min unscrewing session front of you to open it... but nothing complex.

As you can see, internal part are "clean"

LEDs have connectors while motors are directly soldered on the top of the LEDs board, distributing also the power

The RFboard welcoming most probably a XN297 RFchip

Last edited by SeByDocKy; Jan 28, 2016 at 02:16 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 23, 2016, 05:50 AM
Thread OP
Transmitter

The Transmitter includes a 4"3 FPV monitor more or less with a matte screen. In practice, the brightness is correct and it can be used in daylights conditions.

On top, a half-plan 5.8G antenna can be oriented. It's good if you are flying more vertically or horizontally.

A lot of pannel buttons

On button for the auto-takeoff, one for the autolanding, one to select one of the 3 speed modes, one for one key return. On each shoulder, you can find two slider buttons. Only the Aux 1 is used to control the gimbal tilt. Unfortunatly, I was not able to bind the CX-35 with the CX-10 green/blue-A as for the CX-32/CX-33. They again and one more time changed to protocol. I guess it's normal because they claimed 500m of control range. Maybe they used again a Beken RFchip.

Unfortunatly like the CX-33 & CX-32, the minitors offers blue/black screen when the transmission is lost

The default Vfreq is E3=5665Mhz

Freq-R 0 click E3 = 5665Mhz
Freq-R 1 click E7 = 5925Mhz
Freq-R 2 click E2 = 5685Mhz
Freq-R 3 click E6 = 5905Mhz
Freq-R 4 click E4 = 5645Mhz
Freq-R 5 click E5 =
Freq-R 6 click E1 = 5705Mhz
Freq-R 7 click E8 = 5945Mhz

The 4.3" FPV display offers a QVGA resolution... a drawback be at least a true VGA resolution

FIRST USAGE

Cheerson CX-35 first outdoors test (Courtesy Banggood) (8 min 50 sec)

As you can see, the altitude hold is efficient and it's true for beginners, the auto-take off buton makes life more easy. The efficiency is of the auto-landing function is more discutable. Since the altitude estimation is not really accurate without GPS, the landing introduces some bouncing effect on the ground until convergence of the landing algorithm. You can also notice that the CX-35 is really Noisy. These big brushed motors are guilty for sure. The FPV range is excellent, I didn't observe really any blue/black screen on the FPV monitor while I was controling the quad. So expect a good 200-300m of FPV range. The FPV monitor itself offers a matte screen visible in daylight conditions. The frame rate displayed is not 30 fps but closer to 20-22 fps but no extra slowdown when recording is turned on. Unfortunatly, some jello is still present even with dampening ball, IMHO too rigid. The 2mpx camera offers an average 720p quality but far to be crisp. The light sensitivity is maybe a little limited too. The field of view is around 110 degrees, a very positive point versus tons of 5.8G models whom have in general only 70 degrees clearly incompatible with FPV application. Here with this lens, no problem. The gimbal tilt control is efficient but don't expect an auto leveling associated with current quad's pitch angle. Yes the CX-35 in a wide open space is easy to flight. Even in sport mode, it's not a super mega fast. The altitude hold probably limits full actions. I noticed after a yaw command, a latteral drift. What I mean, no efficient auto-levelling after such command. It's suprizing the first time. Well... the more two problematic points are i) the control range limited to 80-100m (while the FPV range is far Superior, it's a non-sense !!!) and ii) the flight duration limited to 5min .... it's really disapointing. For the limited range, it can be really probablematic with the altitude hold. In presence of Wind, as soon as you loose the control, the CX-35 can fly away over long distances (you can see in the middle of my video, the CX-35 "blocked" in the air with the transmission lost, luckely no Wind this day). The CX-35 waits around 10s before engaging the descent process !!!Probably the classic antenna mod should help a lot to extend the range.... Another disapointed point, not yet DeviationTX support. or no compatibility with CX-32/33 radios.. on more time tJJRC changed their protocol.

CONCLUSIONS

Well the CX-35 is the first larged brushed 5.8G FPV machine adapted for beginners with the altitude hold stabilization, autolanding and autotake off. It's a large and powerful machine requiring a large open space. The camera-gimbal is correct with average quality 720p footages, efficient tilt control via the radio and a super FPV link. The CX-35 is designed to be used in large open field but the main problem is paradoxally its relative poor control range, at least out of the box (can be improved by antenna mod) and the limited flight times. Unfotunatly, the CX-35 is by consequence far to be the perfect machine. I will give later result with the antenna mod.

UNBOXING

Cheerson CX-35 unboxing and quick analysis (Courtesy Banggood) (17 min 19 sec)

PROS

+ Nice quality build
+ Almost Jellofree aerial plateform
+ Good 720p camera w/ a 100-110 deg FOV lens
+ Good FPV range (> 200-300m but useless since the control range is limited to 100m approximatively)
+ Altitude hold/autolanding/autotake off features
+ Adapted for beginners
+ Camera tild controlable from radio (AUX1)
+ Night flyer
+ Ballbearings
+ Matte FPV screen visible in daylights condition
+ Vfreq selection from the radio

CONS

- Latteral drift after a ruddler command
- 100m of control range
- Potentially important flyaway when the transmission is lost (more than 10s before engaging slow descent)
- 5min of flight time (with the 1300mAh LiPo)
- Some little jello in videos/FPV
- YaP (Yet another Protocol)
- Noisy
- Blue/black screen when the video link is lost
- Altitude hold deviations
- No spare props/fragile props

This quadcopter have been courtesy provided by Banggood in order to make a fair and not biased review. I would like to thanks them for this attitude.
You can find it actually for 133USD at http://www.banggood.com/Cheerson-CX-35-CX35-5_8G-500M-FPV-With-2MP-Wide-Angle-HD-Camera-Gimbal-High-Hold-Mode-RC-Quadcopter-p-1028417.html
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Feb 08, 2016 at 01:50 AM.
Jan 23, 2016, 05:55 AM
Thread OP
reserved
Jan 24, 2016, 05:59 AM
I'm man like flight as a bird
What is the battery ? forget
Jan 24, 2016, 08:00 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONCLEFLY
What is the battery ? forget
I am working on ... It's a 1300mAh model
Jan 24, 2016, 09:50 PM
The adjustable gimbal and camera are bright spots.
Jan 26, 2016, 04:37 PM
Thread OP
Updated #1-2
Feb 01, 2016, 06:27 AM
Mr.Positive
Hello SeByDocKy,

This is Mr.Positive, a Korean RC user(South)
I watched your post well.
Thanks for your lastest info.

By the way, the size of the motor and battery seem to be wrong.
Don't you recheck the size after calibrating your vernier calipers?

Regards,
Mr Positive(OkiDori)
Feb 01, 2016, 08:12 AM
Mr.Positive
error
Feb 01, 2016, 09:43 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiDori
Hello SeByDocKy,

This is Mr.Positive, a Korean RC user(South)
I watched your post well.
Thanks for your lastest info.

By the way, the size of the motor and battery seem to be wrong.
Don't you recheck the size after calibrating your vernier calipers?

Regards,
Mr Positive(OkiDori)

You maybe right, my caliper measurements seem to be wrong. I will try to update with the right ones
Feb 08, 2016, 01:33 AM
Thread OP
Any CX-35 owner around ? I will capture SPI data asap to see if a deviationTX hacking if possible ....
Feb 18, 2016, 02:38 PM
Let the future tell the truth
SeByDocKy,

Thanks for your excellent reviews of entry-level brushed multi-rotors like this one.

I've been watching this group of entry-level aircraft. While Headless Mode is a welcome feature, I think "High Hold Mode" is really the feature that has been missing until now.

As opposed to my APM/PixHawk aircraft ... quads like these are nice to fly around casually in the yard. Or, to let "quad curious" relatives and friends fly without risking my more expensive aircrafts. Also, with the bundled radio, you can get both quads in the air at once.

From what you have seen recently (or know is coming soon) would you say this CX-35 is the best one to buy (with features mentioned above)?
Feb 18, 2016, 02:54 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856
SeByDocKy,

Thanks for your excellent reviews of entry-level brushed multi-rotors like this one.

I've been watching this group of entry-level aircraft. While Headless Mode is a welcome feature, I think "High Hold Mode" is really the feature that has been missing until now.

As opposed to my APM/PixHawk aircraft ... quads like these are nice to fly around casually in the yard. Or, to let "quad curious" relatives and friends fly without risking my more expensive aircrafts. Also, with the bundled radio, you can get both quads in the air at once.

From what you have seen recently (or know is coming soon) would you say this CX-35 is the best one to buy (with features mentioned above)?
To be honest I won't say that... In the same category, for me the JJRC H26 and the XinLin X181 are Superior.
Feb 20, 2016, 05:58 PM
Let the future tell the truth
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeByDocKy
To be honest I won't say that... In the same category, for me the JJRC H26 and the XinLin X181 are Superior.
Thanks, I will check those out. Also, for your honest opinion. Since you have "hands on" with most of these new quads, that means a lot.

Can I ask you a general question about quads in this category?

I suppose I can see the need for WiFi-based "FPV-ish" video on this category of quads
- By using phone for ground radio and/or display, it drops base cost.
- Entry level pilots likely have phones, but they might not own entry level LCDs, FPV radios, and/or goggles.

But I have 3 questions about WiFi video vs. 5.8ghz video:
1. Are you seeing that WiFi Video Refresh (ie FPS or motion) is as fast as compared to 5.8ghz?
2. Are you seeing that WiFi Reception Range is as far as compared to 5.8ghz?
3. If either are slower, do you still consider them "fast enough"?
Last edited by Tesla1856; Feb 20, 2016 at 06:04 PM.
Feb 20, 2016, 06:46 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856
Thanks, I will check those out. Also, for your honest opinion. Since you have "hands on" with most of these new quads, that means a lot.

Can I ask you a general question about quads in this category?

I suppose I can see the need for WiFi-based "FPV-ish" video on this category of quads
- By using phone for ground radio and/or display, it drops base cost.
- Entry level pilots likely have phones, but they might not own entry level LCDs, FPV radios, and/or goggles.

But I have 3 questions about WiFi video vs. 5.8ghz video:
1. Are you seeing that WiFi Video Refresh (ie FPS or motion) is as fast as compared to 5.8ghz?
2. Are you seeing that WiFi Reception Range is as far as compared to 5.8ghz?
3. If either are slower, do you still consider them "fast enough"?
No x 3 ....

Quick Reply