ECX 1/24 Roost 4WD Desert Buggy RTR

Fully ready-to-run, the 1/24th scale Roost is available in orange or blue, and packs a punch for it's size.

Splash

The Small Scale is Big Right Now

The all new Roost 4WD Desert Buggy is the latest pint-sized off-road vehicle from ECX. Fully ready-to-run and featuring a 4wd drivetrain, the Roost is peppy on almost any surface, and has friction dampers to smooth out the driving experience from the /124th scale chassis.

The ECX Roost includes a 4.8V 2/3AAA 220mAh battery, USB charger, polycarbonate painted body, 2.4GHz 2-channel transmitter, metal bushings, and a brushed micro motor. The retail price is $79.99.

Features

• Totally Ready-To-Run
  • Four-Wheel Drive
  • Convenient USB Charger
  • Bottom-Loading Battery Compartment
  • Potent Micro Motor
  • Full Range 2.4GHz Transmitter
  • 2-in-1 Receiver/ESC Combo
  • Micro Steering Servo
  • Realistic multi-panel screened body
  • Rechargeable DynamiteŽ 4.8V 220mAh Battery Included

CLICK HERE for more info on the ECX Roost 1/24th scale Desert Buggy

ECX 1/24 Roost 4WD Desert Buggy RTR (1 min 40 sec)

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Jan 22, 2016 at 01:57 PM..
Jan 22, 2016, 01:52 PM
Heli's rule!
Uhhhh.... yea, there is no way this truck has a 380 size motor ... It says it on horizons site too, someone just messed up in the editing, looks more like a 180 motor to me.

Looks to me like this is just a 1/24 torment/ruckus with new tires and body.
Not that thats a bad thing, I love my 1/24 torment, and these desert buggy style bodies look cool too. I wonder if they are going to bring out oil shocks for them eventualy...
Last edited by dacaur; Jan 23, 2016 at 02:54 PM.
Jan 22, 2016, 01:58 PM
www.gunnphotoservices.com
Thread OP
Thanks for noticing that! I just edited it out. Obvious mistake as you stated
Latest blog entry: www.gunnphotoservices.com
Mar 06, 2016, 10:18 PM
in memory of dez RIP
Any one own one yet ??
Mar 23, 2016, 04:07 PM
RC-addicted
What's the run time with the included battery?
Mar 23, 2016, 08:53 PM
Heli's rule!
Seeing as its just a new body, the run-time should match about what I am getting on my torment. First few runs you will only get about 5 min or so, but by the 5th or 6th run you should get 7-9 min, depending on your throttle usage. I run mine through an airplane BEC set to 5 volts. On a 2 cell 300mah lipo I get 15 min. I dont recommend trying to run it straight off a 2 cell lipo. Running on the BEC set to 5 volts, it still has noticeably more power and speed than the stock battery. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...5&postcount=46
Mar 24, 2016, 11:09 AM
RC-addicted
Great idea, thanks.
Apr 09, 2016, 12:08 PM
RC-addicted
I finally got one, and I love it, first RC car since 35 years...
I managed to find a BEC that fits in the battery compartment, so I'm able to use my 2S 300 and 500mah batteries from my smaller planes.
Of course I did a paint job, a desert buggy needs to have a matching look, right?
Oct 26, 2016, 09:06 PM
FPV Ground Pounder
I just picked up a slightly used one off ebay. I think it was actually a return to Horizon or Tower. The 1st few times I ran it the run time sucked maybe 4 minutes if I was lucky. I have probably ran it 5-6 times this afternoon and the run time is getting better.

The issue I'm having with mine is that after the battery starts to run down the Roost will steer upon throttle input. This isn't power steering but the wheels actually turn. My theory is that it takes more voltage that the battery has to keep the servo centered. Anyone else experiencing this?
Dec 08, 2016, 07:49 PM
Heli's rule!
yep, pretty normal for little RC's like this.
Dec 08, 2016, 11:14 PM
FPV Ground Pounder
My Torment does the same thing but my Losi Rally X doesn't. I need to try the BEC thing and run it on 2s and see how it acts.
Dec 09, 2016, 09:32 PM
FPV Ground Pounder
I put the BEC in my Roost today and hooked it up to a 2s lipo. I put the BEC in the battery compartment and set it to 5v. Strapped the battery to the top of the esc/rc. The Roost drove good and there wasn't any issues. I do think it steered a little better but didn't notice and increase in speed. Wanted to retain the under carriage battery and wanted to try 6v as the 4.8v batteries when fully charged are about 6v so I figured the esc could handle it. Moved the BEC upon top of the esc and put the battery back in it's compartment. The BEEC was set at 6v, when I tried to drive it looked like a DWI driver was driving. The little truck was all over the place you could hardly drive it. Slowed it to a stop and just barley burped the throttle and the wheels would turn right, would do the same in reverse. If you were a little more aggressive with the throttle the wheels would turn then straighten out. Set the BEC to 5v and it still did it but very slightly and you could drive the truck. I think the BEC was putting out RF that was affecting the RX. I wanted to try 6v with the BEC in the battery compartment but ran out of time. Will try that at a later date.

Quick Reply