http://www.ares-rc.com/Z-line/V-HawkX4/

Quad VTOL. Anyone has played with one?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 22, 2016, 07:16 AM
There are several posts on this. Look closer detective matthews
Jan 26, 2016, 10:04 PM
Air Cooled VW mechanic
Hmmm...
I'm also trying to find some info on this little nugget, searching "V-HawkX4" turns up EXACTLY 3 threads!
One of which is the Graupner version, one is THIS thread and one is in the wrong section :-(
So....
Anybody have any feedback??

My local Hobbytown has four RTF's... and between the three of us we couldn't get a single one of the four to work fully!!!
ALL four had no-responsive throttles, no matter what we tried
AND...
All four had completely non responsive elevons, again, no matter what was tried.

A servo tester was employed to test the ESC's and elevon servo's directly, that did produce a positive result.

Thoughts???
Jan 28, 2016, 01:40 PM
I am what I teach
My guess would be bad flight controller...

I'm trying to get the HT I work at to bring in one of each flavor, hopefully I'll have more info soon.
Feb 06, 2016, 01:18 PM
I am what I teach
Got in to work today and two boxes were sitting behind the counter. Took one out , charged the battery, glued the tail on, and hit the sky.

So far, no problems. Didn't attempt to transition as I was hovering in the parking lot in the middle of town. Needed some forward trim needed in hover but other than than that flew off the board. Lift off was right around half throttle. Transition is about 4 seconds.
Feb 11, 2016, 01:34 PM
I am what I teach
One thing I have noticed so far - The included radio can get very fussy about binding/arming. If the transmitter is too close it fails to arm. The motors will sit in the 45 degree arming position for a bit and that is all you will get.

It seems to need a distance of about 4-5 feet to get a clear start-up so if you are just messing around with it on the bench it will act as if nothing is working.

If you look in through the battery hatch you can see some lights on top of the control board. When all is good to go there will be a solid blue light. When it has a bad start up the blue light flashes. I have seen an orange light flashing a few times on start up as well.

I plan to switch out the radio gear after a few flights with the stock system to see if this improves things.
Last edited by moparren; Feb 11, 2016 at 01:40 PM.
Feb 23, 2016, 03:59 PM
I am what I teach

Flight report

I'll start with the summary first.

Hovering characteristics – yaw control is about what you would expect from a quad but it will weathervane in the wind. Roll control is good. Pitch control is very quick. High lift wings make holding a steady altitude in gusty conditions difficult.

Fixed wing characteristics – This is a slow, draggy airframe mainly due to the high lift wings. More throttle just makes more noise and uses more battery. It will do some mild acrobatics but the under camber wings and stability system don’t like to be upside down. The biggest issue in forward flight is that the airframe is symmetrical in all directions making orientation a challenge from time to time. Also, no dihedral means it will not naturally come out of a bank.

Is it for beginners? Depends on your definition of beginner. If you’ve never picked up a transmitter before, no. If you are good with quads or helis but have never flown a fixed wing before I’d say no. If you are a good sport fixed wing pilot but no quad experience again I’d say no. If you can fly a quad and you can fly a low wing aileron/elevator plane you should be OK.

Hits – out of the box VTO. Easy transition. Durability. Price. A good hundred less than the Graupner version if you get it with the radio, closer to 200 less if you get the receiver ready version

Misses – Short flight time. Included radio system can get fussy about proximity on start up. Very little documentation.

A bit more in depth flight report -

Flight 1 -

I wanted a baseline on time so I plugged in my battery monitor and went to see how long I could hover until it went off for my first full flight. It went off at around 6 min. of simple hovering. My hover test was not in the best of conditions, gusty winds and in a small walled in area with lots of turbulence. While it was controllable it was not the funest flight as the airframe does get pushed around. A lot. A good headwind gust will show just how well those high lift undercamberd airfoils work, it jumped about 5 feet up a few times before I could react and correct.

Flight 2 -

Finally got a chance to head out to the field and couldn't have asked for a better day, clear skies, light breeze, and about 75-80 degrees. Based on my timed hover trial I set my timer for 5 min. and waited for everybody to land. Took off and climbed to about 25 feet and hit the switch. The outbound transition was no drama at all. Forward flight is not very fast no matter what the throttle. More power just makes more noise and uses up battery. (more on that later) At the urging's of the peanut gallery I did do a roll. It did it, but it didn't like it.

The first inbound transition was not bad, slowed down and hit the switch and didn't notice anything bad. Did a touch and go and flew around some more. On the second inbound I carried some more speed and it was rougher, the motors got to about 45 degrees and then slammed to vertical. Made a lot of noise and did drop a few feet but otherwise remained stable.

My second inbound was made just after the timer went off and was a bit far out and it took me a bit to get back to the runway, a bit too much as it were. The battery called no joy about 15 feet above the deck and the X4 did the proverbial rock impersonation. Total damage - broken foam motor cover.

Flight 2 -

A bit of glue to put the nacelle back on and we were good to go for a second flight. After putting 1.44 mha back into the 1300 battery I decided to set my timer at 3 min for this flight.

On this outbound I was not level and there was a moment before the ailerons kicked in that was a bit panic inducing as roll control was non-existent for about a second. Looking back, I don’t think there was any danger of crashing. The issue could be fixed by not reducing the aileron throw so much in VTO mode. The rest of the flight was fine, I slowed down more for the inbound transition and it was much smoother. Taxied backwards in from the runway, rudder control worked fine on the asphalt runway. Total flight time was around 4 min.

I'm going to a club fun fly next weekend, hope to get some pictures then.
Feb 23, 2016, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparren
I'll start with the summary first..
Nice review.
Feb 24, 2016, 03:56 PM

Review

Thank you for taking the time in writing your review. It was very insightful.

I too, have looked all around to find any reviews to no avail.

Thanks again for the thorough review. I appreciated your views.
Feb 26, 2016, 12:33 PM
I am what I teach
Glad to help! Should get some photos this weekend, maybe some video too.
Mar 07, 2016, 09:38 PM
I am what I teach
The promised flight video!
Ares V-Hawk X4 (2 min 43 sec)
Mar 08, 2016, 07:12 AM
It looks very well behaved in conversion .. or you are a very good pilot ... is the conversion proportional control or just a switch from one mode to the other ? I seem to remember reading you" hit the switch to convert "... but want to clarify that . I like the fact that you don't have to drop the nose and get up speed to convert .. matter of fact did I see a hover to conversion about half way thru the vid ??

Thanks for sharing the video .... how many planes a yr do you guys loose to the river ??? Although it makes a beautiful place to fly and then cool down !!!
Mar 08, 2016, 12:41 PM
I am what I teach
Quote:
Originally Posted by v22chap
It looks very well behaved in conversion .. or you are a very good pilot ... is the conversion proportional control or just a switch from one mode to the other ? I seem to remember reading you" hit the switch to convert "... but want to clarify that .
The easy part of the question - Conversion is controlled by a single two position switch on the Tx. On the ground it takes about 4 seconds for the motors to transition, but I have noticed in flight that they can move quicker so the flight board must be doing some active management.

For the most part it is well behaved but I have learned two things

1. Do not attempt to convert with a crosswind! It will drop a wing into the wind if you are not going outbound into the wind and you are along for the ride until conversion is finished.

2. If there is no wind, get some forward speed before converting. The next morning after the above flight it was dead calm and I tried to convert with 0 airspeed and again it dropped a wing.

I would not list this as a flaw in the airplane, more my inexperience with VTOL, the video is only my fourth VTOL flight.

Quote:
I like the fact that you don't have to drop the nose and get up speed to convert .. matter of fact did I see a hover to conversion about half way thru the vid ??
I stopped to hover twice on this flight. In hover for/aft cyclic is controlled by tilting the motors: full forward tilts close to 45 degrees and full backwards tilts around 20 degrees. I think this tilting is what keeps it from having to drop the nose to get up to speed.

I have noticed that it can end up hovering about 10-15 degrees nose high for a bit on inbound and it does seem to balloon a bit, but I won't argue with that. Again, I think more stick time and experience will smooth that out.

Quote:
Thanks for sharing the video .... how many planes a yr do you guys loose to the river ??? Although it makes a beautiful place to fly and then cool down !!!
Canyon Lake isn't our real field, we just camp out there a few times a year for an impromptu club float fly. The park service is great about giving us permission to fly. One of us usually brings a boat so as far as I know, we haven't lost one yet!
Mar 08, 2016, 02:27 PM
Very interesting that the hover for and aft is controlled by rotor tilt ,, that is good to know and yes does explain the no nose drop . My Cl -142 does not do that and you have to be really nose down into a fair wind and for conversion both ways ... This will change and soon
Thanks for the great flight analyses that sure will help some of us down the road .
Mar 08, 2016, 03:07 PM
I am what I teach
Quote:
Thanks for the great flight analyses that sure will help some of us down the road .
My pleasure! I've been lurking and learning on this sub-forum for years and it's nice to have info to contribute.