Jan 21, 2016, 10:32 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

How long does charging take-IMAX B6

Imax B6 timing out at 2 hours before shutting off. Charging almost new 1500mah 3s batteries @ 1.3 A in balance mode. This is my only "real" charger as I only have one aircraft. This does not meet my expectations. Does this seem normal for this charger? Anything I should be checking/setting to ensure that I am operating it correctly.

Additionally I have one battery that will not charge in balance mode. It spits out a connection error. The battery will charge in regular charge mode. It was this way as new. Anyway to salvage the battery so that it can be balanced?
Last edited by timmyjane; Jan 22, 2016 at 08:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 22, 2016, 06:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyjane
Imax B6 timing out at 2 hours before shutting off. Charging almost new 1500mah 3C 3s batteries @ 1.3 A in balance mode. This is my only "real" charger as I only have one aircraft. This does not meet my expectations. Does this seem normal for this charger? Anything I should be checking/setting to ensure that I am operating it correctly.

Additionally I have one battery that will not charge in balance mode. It spits out a connection error. The battery will charge in regular charge mode. It was this way as new. Anyway to salvage the battery so that it can be balanced?
Please provide links to the charger and both batteries. It really helps to know exactly what you have.

Also may I suggest you read this:
http://www.tjinguytech.com/charging-how-tos
There is a wealth of information there on the care and feeding of LiPo batteries.

May I also suggest you get a good volt meter if you don't already have one.

You should be charging your 3S 1500mAh batteries at 1.5A. A fully discharged 1500mAh battery charged at 1.5A (1C) should take about an hour or a bit more depending on the amount of imbalance is the cells.

You should never have a battery discharged fully, 20% is the lowest you should ever go so 1 hour is a reasonable charge time.

So since your battery took 2 hours, you need to provide more information.
What was the pack voltage when the charge started?
What was the pack voltage when the charge ended?
What were the individual cell voltages when the charge ended?
Was the charger really charging the battery at 1.3A? It may have encountered a problem and reduced the charge rate.

As for the battery that reports "Connection Error".
I assume you have both the main and balance leads connected to the charger.
What is the pack voltage measured at the main charge/discharge connector?
What are the individual cell voltages as measured at the balance connector?

If the pack and cell voltages are OK (total of all cell voltages = pack voltage) You might try cleaning the contact pins in the connectors and the charger with an electronic contact cleaner.

Glen
Jan 22, 2016, 12:54 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
We there is no way to salvage this battery now. Last night it exploded in flames. Luckily I was near the battery and heard it leaking before it flamed. Pretty scary stuff.

Charger was also damaged and likely faulty.

When I go to replace the charge what is recommended? I currently only fly a 250 quad.
Is there a charging box or something that will protect my house incase another battery decides to blow?
Jan 22, 2016, 01:29 PM
Quote:
We there is no way to salvage this battery now. Last night it exploded in flames. Luckily I was near the battery and heard it leaking before it flamed. Pretty scary stuff.

Charger was also damaged and likely faulty.

When I go to replace the charge what is recommended? I currently only fly a 250 quad.

What you fly is not as important as the specifications of the battery. You aren't charging the aircraft.

But to go with the specs of the battery mentioned in post #1 (3S 1500mAh), 1.5A and about 19W @ a 1C charge just about any 50W charger will do.

The Turnigy Accucell-6 has a very good reputation.
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...rch=accucell-6

Is there a charging box or something that will protect my house incase another battery decides to blow?

There are several options.

50 Caliber ammo box
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/191...can-50-caliber

LiPo Sack
http://www.liposack.com/

Concrete blocks

Bucket of sand

To mention a few.
Glen
Jan 22, 2016, 01:50 PM
Thread OP
Thank you Glen. I like the idea of the ammo can. I believe that I can make a complete charging station. I will check out the Accucell.

Quick Reply