Turnigy Reaktor QuadKore Charger - RCGroups Mini Review - RC Groups

Turnigy Reaktor QuadKore Charger - RCGroups Mini Review

In this mini review, we'll check out a powerful quad-port charger that's easy to use and looks good to boot!

Turnigy Reaktor QuadKore Charger - RCGroups Review

High Power and Ease of Use

Product:Turnigy Reaktor QuadKore
Input voltage:10 - 28V DC
Charge current:.1 - 20A
Discharge current:.05 - 20A
Max charge capacity:1200w (4x300w)
Lithium cell count:1 - 6 cells
Battery memory:10 per channel
Price:$222.60
Available from:Hobbyking.com
PDF Manual:Click Here

One area of the hobby that I never seem to settle on is the battery charger; I'm always looking for that perfect power station that can deliver high charge rates for my 4s and 6s packs, while being easy to navigate through the menus and quick to initiate the charge cycle. And while there's no shortage of chargers out there with high-output charge rates, finding one that's easy to use, looks good, and is relatively affordable can be a challenge.

Enter the Turnigy Reaktor QuadKore charger. Not only does it deliver 1200 watts at 20A between four channels, it's menus are easy to navigate through and it looks pretty good to boot! Unlike some other chargers I've used, the Reaktor senses the Li-xx cell count and doesn't require the maximum mAh to be inputted during a charge, making initiating a charge a very quick ordeal. Let's take a look at this powerhouse quad-port charger from Turnigy, the Reaktor QuadKore.

The Reaktor QuadKore layout is the standard quad charger design we've come to know and love; four separate screen are completely independent of one another, acting as four separate chargers sharing one 10-28v input. There's a fan for each port, and each one moves ample air inside the chassis.

On each side of the Reaktor's chassis are the battery ports and balance taps. The balance taps are built into the side of the chassis, which has an advantage and a disadvantage. On a positive note, there's no balance wiring harnesses to wear out or lose. On the other hand, having the taps built into the side of the chassis makes it difficult to see them if you're standing above the charger, and it there's no way to move the battery away from the charger when everything's hooked up. So if you charge from a case, you'll have batteries hanging out the case thus making it necessary to remove the charger from the case to charge. Not a big deal, but it's an issue I quickly became aware of and had to adjust my charging repertoire.

The Reaktor QuadKore includes four charging leads: two with alligator clips and two ready for soldering your own leads. Naturally, I immediately snipped off the alligator clips and soldered my most often used XT60 connectors on all four leads.

As far as features and settings go, there's nothing ground-breaking with the Reaktor series. It can charge Li-ion, LiFe, and LiPo batteries, NiCd and NiMh, and solid lead acid batteries as well. The storage function is predictable, terminating at roughly 49% for my LiPo batteries. You can test the pack's internal resistance and break it down to the IR for each cell.

One aspect that I really enjoy about the Turnigy Reaktor QuadKore charger is it's level of automation. For LiPo packs, plugging a pack into the balance port is all that's needed for the Reaktor to detect the cell count. You don't even need to set the milliamps for the pack, the charger will terminate the charge once the preset CV termination is reached. LiPo termination voltage can be set up to 4.3v per cell. A maximum milliamps setting is selectable for each of the four channels, called Capacity Cut-Off. I set it at 5000mAh and can charge any pack up to 5000mAh safely without having to change it.

Initiating a charge is a painless process that doesn't take a lot of button pushing to accomplish. Assuming you have Lithium Balance Mode enabled and a battery connected, just push the start button once to chose the type of Lithium cell (in my case, LiPo), push again to chose charge amps, and push and hold to start charging. If you already have the type and charge amperage selected, all it takes is a push-and-hold of the start button to charge.

One feature you may not ever notice but will appreciate is the synchronous buck-boost DC/DC converter technology. This isn't some made up buzz word, it's a switching controller that increases efficiency. In essence, it allows for a wide range of input voltages that are below, above, or equal to the output voltage while maintaining a constant voltage to the load (the battery). Hobby King claims that it allows for a lighter and smaller charger that runs cooler while maintaining efficiency over 90%.

Regenerative Discharge

The Reaktor QuadKore features Regenerative Discharge, which allows for much higher discharge rates. Chargers convert the energy from the battery into heat as they discharge, and the rate of discharge is severely limited by how much heat they can shed without going into thermal-nuclear meltdown. Luckily, the Reaktor's Regenerative Discharge feature takes that energy and sends it right back down the input wires to a battery. Obviously, this only works if the charger is hooked up to a lead acid battery power source, and definitely not an AC-to-DC power supply. You can discharge at up to 20 amps using this feature.

Conclusion

The Turnigy Reaktor QuadKore charger is a no-frills unit that doesn't require much effort to initiate a charge. It has plenty of power on tap to top off my 6s 5000mAh LiPos quickly and accurately. The only downside that I've found is the location of the balance taps that are built into the side of the chassis. That location makes it difficult to see the individual plugs when standing above the charger. Other than that, the Reaktor QuadKore is a solid charger that I know will give me reliable and safe service now and in the future.

Links

CLICK HERE to read more about the Turnigy Reaktor QuadKore charger.

PDF Manual

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Mar 09, 2016 at 02:57 PM..
Mar 10, 2016, 12:46 PM
How low can you go?
Looks pretty cool. I have the Turnigy Mega 1000 and thats worked well for me so far...we'll see how long it holds up
Mar 10, 2016, 05:50 PM
This will be my next charger. Once I have a 24v 1200w+ power supply. As far as I can tell, I'm just going to have to man up, and make it myself.
Mar 11, 2016, 01:11 AM
The Turnigy chargers look similar to the Hitec chargers with a few extra features.
Mar 11, 2016, 05:54 AM
Jaketheone46
Quote:
Originally Posted by critical_
The Turnigy chargers look similar to the Hitec chargers with a few extra features.
There ichargers to be exact. This one is basically 4 icharger 206b's shoved into 1 case. So so sweet. I myself am a fan of the reaktor 300. It my favorite charger. I prefer 4 seperate units myself though.
Mar 11, 2016, 07:26 AM
Have a nice day! Kristjan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaketheone46
There ichargers to be exact. This one is basically 4 icharger 206b's shoved into 1 case. So so sweet. I myself am a fan of the reaktor 300. It my favorite charger. I prefer 4 seperate units myself though.
Me too, less is more. I own iCharger 208b for several years now and it works perfectly.
Mar 11, 2016, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by critical_
Hitec chargers are rebranded Sky RC chargers for the most part possibly they all are,i love their A9 radio and several of their products I use, but them chargers no thanks .Turnigy Reaktors are rebranded I Chargers and that's a whole different animal in features and quality electronics and probably for less money too.
Mar 11, 2016, 10:52 AM
FPV REBEL ALLIANCE
buying a 4 in 1 is always a bad idea. Its putting all your eggs in one basket. it goes bad you loose big.

Much better to buy 4 separate chargers and 2 power supply's. That way there are no worries if something goes wrong with one unit.

These are knock off chargers so hedge your bets and buy right.

NS
Mar 16, 2016, 01:04 PM
Glasson Master
This charger is not fully meeting its manual descriptions:
As an example there is no way to manage any log file because there are no USB interface nor any slot to plug a memory card.
While the manual reads that one can check the battery temperature, there is no external temp sensor port...
Before buying this charger, one should wait forthe product to be released with all the features described in the manual.
Mar 17, 2016, 09:32 AM
big ignore list
I have the single 250watt 10a version of this and LOVE IT !!
Mar 17, 2016, 11:44 AM
Like many other posters I don't recommend quad or duos if it can be avoided simply because should one fail you have one of four in a common case not working,it's much more flexable to have single units downside being untidy wires.This thing would be the king of quads on the market at the moment though.
Mar 17, 2016, 12:41 PM
RCGroups Editor
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tug
Like many other posters I don't recommend quad or duos if it can be avoided simply because should one fail you have one of four in a common case not working,it's much more flexable to have single units downside being untidy wires.This thing would be the king of quads on the market at the moment though.
I think the reality is that the failure rate is so low on these things (chargers in general), it doesn't make sense to live by the "I'm not going to buy it because it might fail" mentality.

I have at least ten chargers I've amassed since 2006 and not one has ever died on me. Of course, the law of numbers will dictate that there's people out there that have had a quad port malfunction or know a friend of a friend who has, but it's rare.

Case and point: I have 12 cores on my processor attached to the computer I'm on right now. If one fails, the whole processor is toast. But that doesn't keep me from taking advantage of additional processing power of 12 cores. If it really bothered me about the above argument, I'd have 12 computers with single core processors... see what Im getting at?
Mar 17, 2016, 03:06 PM
big ignore list
Quote:
Like many other posters I don't recommend quad or duos if it can be avoided simply because should one fail
You are the first I know of to say this

Quote:
you have one of four in a common case not working,it's much more flexable to have single units downside being untidy wires.This thing would be the king of quads on the market at the moment though.
if someone had a 4 port charger and one port craps out, they still have 3 ports working...

and it's great to have one charger with 4 ports so one can charge 4 different packs at 4 different times while flying or running boats like I do..
Mar 17, 2016, 04:25 PM
Unregistered night flyer
I've got the 4 port, 400 watt turnigy charger here. And the cooling fan likes to "breathe" while I'm charging my smaller packs. Fan on for 5 seconds, off for 5 seconds. Hopefully they've got this issue sorted with the newer version.

Other than that I've got no complaints. It actually balances my 6s packs faster than my older 4 port charger.
Mar 28, 2016, 10:14 AM
Looks cool I have the 300w single version of this and it is great. It looks to me as if it is just four in one case. I'm guessing the only thing that is shared between the four is a common power buss, but I'm sure that they are all fairly separate units even if they are on the same pcb. But I don't own one so I can't say for sure. In conclution I doubt that you could have serious problems with this even if one unit failed.