Jan 20, 2016, 11:21 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Yikong Desert Buggy E18DB 1/18 4wd RTR Review

Taking a closer look at the new 1/18 Desert Buggy by Yikong. This little buggy is RTR with a 2.4ghz radio, and Lipo battery included. It is 4wd, and available in both brushed and brushless versions. In this thread we will be taking a look at the brushed version.

I have had a chance to run this little buggy out in the snow, on the frozen lake behind my house, and I am quite impressed with its performance. It is much faster than I expected. I will get the running video posted soon, but for now here are some pics of the buggy as it comes out of the box.

Here's a quick running video

Yikong E18DB 1/18 RC 4wd Desert Buggy Snow Bash (1 min 18 sec)
Last edited by fastmax; Mar 24, 2016 at 09:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 20, 2016, 11:45 PM
I like the bottom loading tray, it should provide alittle more free space on top of the chassis which could be useful when upgrading to a brushless setup.
How are the tires?
Jan 20, 2016, 11:52 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
The tires are pretty soft, and did surprisingly well on the snow and ice during my run earlier. Lots of rooster tails, and pretty easy to keep it pointed in the right direction, even on the slippery surface.
Jan 21, 2016, 10:35 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
Short video added
Jan 21, 2016, 12:53 PM
It does look like those tires do a good job. I'd like to see how they handle on loose dirt, but I'm guessing it's going to be awhile before that's an option lol. Does it have a 390 or 380? I thought from the video it was a 390 since it sounded louder than what I'd expect.
How were the temps after the run?
Jan 21, 2016, 01:45 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
I believe they call it a 390, but it is a 370 size motor. 380 would be too big for the motor mount. It is a little loud for a 1/18 buggy, but everything feels smooth, and the gear mesh is good, so I'm guessing it's just whatever material the gears are made of.

Nothing got even remotely warm, but it was only about 10F out so not much does get warm in those temps.

It will definitely be a while before loose dirt is an option. Good thing is I don't think the snow and ice are going to wear the tires out much in the meantime lol.
Jan 22, 2016, 01:41 PM
Heli's rule!
I have the buggy version. Running it indoors in my fathers basement (big room but still lots of acceleration and braking) the motor got what I would call hot, but not unusually hot for a brushed motor.... I touched it accidentaly as I was unplugging the battery and my brain went into emergency mode and yanked my hand away, but there was no lasting burn. You could feel the heat on the bottom under the motor too, but the area where the esc is didnt get warm.
Jan 22, 2016, 02:08 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
Good to know. I'll be sure to keep an eye on temps when running inside or in warmer weather.
Jan 22, 2016, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmax
I believe they call it a 390, but it is a 370 size motor. 380 would be too big for the motor mount. It is a little loud for a 1/18 buggy, but everything feels smooth, and the gear mesh is good, so I'm guessing it's just whatever material the gears are made of.

Nothing got even remotely warm, but it was only about 10F out so not much does get warm in those temps.

It will definitely be a while before loose dirt is an option. Good thing is I don't think the snow and ice are going to wear the tires out much in the meantime lol.
It's about 15 degrees here and I just drove my brushless sct in the snow. The motor was starting to get hot, but the snow is deep and there was a lot of spinning out so that's the reason for the warm temps. But I guess where that buggy is so lite it doesn't sink as much and so it doesn't spin.
It looks like it would be a lot of fun on a small offroad track with several jumps.
Nope those tires will lay forever in these conditions lol.
Jan 25, 2016, 10:41 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
Ran this thing around the frozen lake a few more times over the weekend. Having a blast with it on the ice. Surprised at how well it handles, just wish it had a little more steering. I may see if I can get more by modding the knuckles.

A small offroad track with some jumps would be a riot with these.
Jan 25, 2016, 01:49 PM
Heli's rule!
How smooth is your front diff? On my buggy I noted significant understeer when I received it, and also noticed the front diff was very tight.
After disassembling the diff and smearing the grease around, upon reaembly It was much smoother and the understeer was completely gone. I think the issue might just have been the diff screws were cranked down too tight from the factory.
Jan 25, 2016, 01:59 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
The front diff is actually pretty smooth. The rear diff was not smooth at all out of the box, but after a couple packs it has smoothed out. I'll check them both out when I start wrenching on it. There's definitely a good chance it will help.

I still plan on trying to mod the knuckles or the steering though, cause there just isn't much throw at all in stock form, even with the dual rate cranked all the way up.
Jan 25, 2016, 08:46 PM
Looks very nice. Love the battery door @ bottom. Maybe I'm new to RC racing, but I never got why they made it so you have to remove the body before you can access the battery. what a pain!.
Jan 26, 2016, 01:32 AM
Heli's rule!
Well, I agree having to remove the body is a pain in many vehicles... But there actualy is a reason for it. Not having a big hole in the bottom of the chassis allows for a stronger and lighter vehicle, since you don't have to support the hole and whatever door mechanism you have. Makes sense in 1/10 scale of course, but not so much in 1/18 and smaller. But since many 1/18, 1/16, etc are just copies of larger vehicles, they use the same battery setup...
Jan 26, 2016, 09:01 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
Yeah it's a strength/weight thing for sure, and I understand it for race bred models, but for smaller scales and non race oriented rigs I much prefer to have the easier battery access.

Quick Reply