This thread is privately moderated by Tom Hunt, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 20, 2016, 07:03 PM
Head NEAT geek
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

Durafly P-40N landing gear strut mod

Hey Guys

when doing my "full" mod of the Durafly 1100mm P-40N to accept the Turnigy Retracts

I realized that anyone that is willing to buy the full retracts (the struts at this length are NOT available separately) just for the struts, could modify the stock retracts/struts to except the oleos.

Here is how it goes.

First you need to take your dremel and a cut-off wheel and cut off the existing 3mm landing gear leg about 20mm from the trunnion.

then you need to file/grind a flat on the inboard side of the stub strut for the grub (set) screws on the new Oleo strut. NOTE the flat you file may not necessarily be exactly parallel to the fuselage centerline as the set screws put in the oleo leg are not put in the accurately. you may have to adjust the flat a couple of times, so do NOT grind/file too deep at first.

Next you need to grind or file the alum oleo strut so that it clears the motor housing of the retract. A flat is already provided, but it must be made slightly deeper and longer. You also need to open up the wheel axle hole to 3mm just as I did in the full retract mod.

slip the strut on and lock tight, test and go fly. very easy!

have fun
Tom
Last edited by Tom Hunt; Jan 21, 2016 at 11:33 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 28, 2016, 07:13 PM
So Tom,
What length Oleo Strut would work in this scenario? 100mm or so?
Jan 29, 2016, 10:36 AM
Head NEAT geek
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiah007
So Tom,
What length Oleo Strut would work in this scenario? 100mm or so?
There are no struts I know of except the ones that come with the full retract, but the distance from the upper end of the strut to the axle is 89mm and the pin hole needs to be 3mm unless you have the ability to bush. Also the max diameter of the leg is 10mm
Feb 21, 2016, 12:53 PM
Head NEAT geek
Thread OP
Got to test fly this mod today. Sorry I could not get any vid, I was alone at the field.

First impressions are very favorable. I could hear the struts moving on take-off and landing so the spring tension seems about right. I made just one flight (as the winds were rather stiff) but I did a touch and go with and without flaps and had no issue with retraction or extension. They look solid post-flight inspection.

If you do this mod, I think you will be happy!

Tom
Feb 21, 2016, 03:23 PM
rob
Interesting tom...is that snow on the ground...
Feb 21, 2016, 05:16 PM
Head NEAT geek
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob66
Interesting tom...is that snow on the ground...
ya, the last remnants of a 12" snowfall about two weeks ago.
Mar 24, 2016, 08:49 PM
Suspended Account
To bad the retracts aren't in stock
Mar 25, 2016, 06:30 AM
Head NEAT geek
Thread OP
That's what happens when you talk about them here on RCgroups!
Mar 25, 2016, 03:18 PM
Suspended Account
Selling mine for $100 , bring a crisp $100 bill and its yours
Mar 25, 2016, 03:52 PM
Head NEAT geek
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldofDreamsFlyer
Selling mine for $100 , bring a crisp $100 bill and its yours
Not flying 3000 miles for another one. I have 4 already!

Quick Reply