Vector Open Telemetry and DragonLink Advanced support! - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 19, 2016, 02:41 PM
Cool

Vector Open Telemetry and DragonLink Advanced support!

We're pleased to announce an "open" telemetry protocol for the Vector. Everything you could possibly want to know about the Vector is available via the Vector's UART port. Let us know if we missed anything.

Please see the attached file for details. Note that only the "Tx" UART connection, and perhaps ground, need to be connected in most cases.

To use telemetry, you'll need to install Vector software version 11.96 or later. Note that at present this software is in beta, so proceed with caution!

Also, Dragon Labs has added support for this protocol with their DragonLink Advanced LRS (link coming momentarily).

IMPORTANT: donít connect the telemetry cable to any Vector port other than "UART," Doing so could damage your equipment!
Last edited by billpa; Jan 20, 2016 at 12:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 19, 2016, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa
We're pleased to announce an "open" telemetry protocol for the Vector. Everything you could possibly want to know about the Vector is available via the Vector's UART port. Let us know if we missed anything.

Please see the attached file for details.

To use telemetry, you'll need to install Vector software version 11.96 or later. Note that at present this software is in beta, so proceed with caution!

Also, Dragon Labs has added support for this protocol with their DragonLink Advanced LRS (link coming momentarily).

IMPORTANT: don’t connect the telemetry cable to any Vector port other than "UART," Doing so could damage your equipment!
Great, thanks ! too bad I can not select the UART option via PC software, as for now the Vector is on the bench with no RC setup and I plan on using it LOS without video at first. I guess I'll have to wire everything up, go through the wizard and then plug a monitor just to set the "open telemetry" option. Can you think about this for the next release ?

But again, thanks for the great and efficient collaboration with DragonLink ! this is so much powerful than just the RSSI sent over the crossfire and I'm so glad I sticked with DL.

PS : is it normal that no matter what firmware version I install in the Vector, I've never seen the GPS unit being updated (either V1 or newest V2) ?
Last edited by sancho28; Jan 19, 2016 at 04:25 PM.
Jan 19, 2016, 04:48 PM
Go foam or go home!
Awesome! However, as I understand it, we only need "Tx" going to the DL receiver. What's Rx for?
Jan 20, 2016, 12:56 PM
sancho, GUI control of the setting is coming soon. We also have this available.

adamtoo, the Rx and 5V connections are not normally needed. first post is updated to reflect this.
Jan 20, 2016, 01:18 PM
Quote:
sancho, GUI control of the setting is coming soon. We also have this available.

adamtoo, the Rx and 5V connections are not normally needed. first post is updated to reflect this.
Thanks, but bought a power panel display for my eagle eyes just before you released this and I don't really want to have both. Will you update power panel so I can use it to setup the Vector ? I don't see why this wouldn't be possible, it's just a matter of changing the connector.

Sancho
Jan 20, 2016, 09:46 PM
Master of Disaster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sancho28
Thanks, but bought a power panel display for my eagle eyes just before you released this and I don't really want to have both. Will you update power panel so I can use it to setup the Vector ? I don't see why this wouldn't be possible, it's just a matter of changing the connector.

Sancho
For the price of the Power Panel let's just call this REDUNDANCY! Considering all the new features introduced and/or in the works in the last few weeks it seems like we are doing pretty good here!
Jan 24, 2016, 02:12 AM
Dead Reckoner
Hi Bill

What is the pinout of the I2C bus sockets on the Vector family, from left to right? For example, is it TX, RX, 3.3V, GND?

Thanks.
Jan 25, 2016, 11:19 PM
Quote:
I am sure this is a noob question, but I'll ask it anyway. I have several Vectors, and run them with Futaba 14SG and Spektrum DX9 on several gliders. I've been thinking about UHF control, and leaning DL as my likely choice. What functionality does a Vector user get from DragonLink Advanced LRS? And will this functionality become available for Vector users who are based on 2.4G control systems, if the functionality is more than what's presently available from Vector OSD in the 5.8G video pathway?

Hope those questions make some sense.

Kelly
Jan 25, 2016, 11:37 PM
Master of Disaster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkf94025
I am sure this is a noob question, but I'll ask it anyway. I have several Vectors, and run them with Futaba 14SG and Spektrum DX9 on several gliders. I've been thinking about UHF control, and leaning DL as my likely choice. What functionality does a Vector user get from DragonLink Advanced LRS? And will this functionality become available for Vector users who are based on 2.4G control systems, if the functionality is more than what's presently available from Vector OSD in the 5.8G video pathway?

Hope those questions make some sense.

Kelly
Can't say about 2.4 systems but with the DLA you get Vector telemetry to the DLA RX, then to the DLA TX, then via bluetooth (or cable) to an app on your phone, tablet, or laptop. Not yet implemented is full logging to the SD card in the DLA TX.

You can find details on the current features of the DLA here:https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2571064

Details of the Vector telemetry here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2585582
Feb 12, 2016, 05:41 PM
@billpa, (and @sweetieinsf)

I've spent quite a bit of time reading up on the DL Advanced thread, Tower, and other aspects of UHF, telemetry, etc. As best I understand it today, Vector open telemetry data back through DL Advanced to Tower on Android via Bluetooth is the most advanced use of the Vector open telemetry feed. Are there other EagleTree uses coming soon? Or should I assume that Tower on Android is the best system (in addition to Vector OSD on video feed) for some time? I'll invest the time and money to get there, unless something substantially better is coming soon.

Thanks,
Kelly
Feb 12, 2016, 08:10 PM
Master of Disaster!
Quote:
@billpa, (and @sweetieinsf)

I've spent quite a bit of time reading up on the DL Advanced thread, Tower, and other aspects of UHF, telemetry, etc. As best I understand it today, Vector open telemetry data back through DL Advanced to Tower on Android via Bluetooth is the most advanced use of the Vector open telemetry feed. Are there other EagleTree uses coming soon? Or should I assume that Tower on Android is the best system (in addition to Vector OSD on video feed) for some time? I'll invest the time and money to get there, unless something substantially better is coming soon.

Thanks,
Kelly
Kelly, you can't assume ANYTHING these days! Bill will have to answer for the most part but what I do know is that the guys at DragonLink have basic Vector telem working on the DLA with full implementation in the works. It's pretty Fargin' cool!
Feb 12, 2016, 09:57 PM
sweetie,

what does "full implementation" mean in your mind? everything on the OSD also available via the Open Telemtry stream?

kelly
Feb 12, 2016, 10:26 PM
Master of Disaster!
Quote:
sweetie,

what does "full implementation" mean in your mind? everything on the OSD also available via the Open Telemtry stream?

kelly
Yea, pretty much. I have no idea what info is available in the Open Telemetry stream and it all depends on what DL does with it but I believe that in the long term they will make all Vector telem available on the DLA. How much telem do you need? With the currently supported basic info (GPS coordinates, heading, speed, altitude, RSSI if remember...) if you lose your video you can hit RTH and watch her fly home. If the plane goes down you should have GPS coordinates almost to the ground making recovery easier especially coupled with the DLA Homing Beacon feature.
Feb 18, 2016, 12:24 AM
kha
kha
openLRSng haxor
Nice and simple, I really like the spec being straight C code.

It would be even more useful if the baudrate could be changed. For example some of us are using low speed telemetry links over audio which handle up to 2400 bauds. This would of course mean sending information at longer inrervals.
Feb 18, 2016, 02:45 AM
kha
kha
openLRSng haxor
Related it would be rather usefull if the currently unused RX side could be used for RC controll.

This would allow full control and telemetry of Vector by just one bidirectional serial link.