Jan 18, 2016, 09:50 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Whoops!

Robots 'will eliminate 5 million jobs by 2020'...

ROBOTS 'WILL ELIMINATE 5 MILLION JOBS BY 2020'...

"Over five million jobs will be lost by 2020 as a result of developments in genetics, artificial intelligence, robotics and other technological change, according to World Economic Forum research.

About 7 million jobs will be lost and 2 million gained as a result of technological change in 15 major developed and emerging economies, WEF founder Klaus Schwab and managing board member Richard Samans said in "The Future of Jobs." The findings are taken from a survey of 15 economies covering about 1.9 billion workers, or about 65 percent of the world’s total workforce."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...5-million-jobs
Jan 18, 2016, 10:37 PM
I'm still waiting on the 'paperless office'.
Jan 18, 2016, 10:37 PM
I am a old machinist (back in 70s) , we were told the same thing then ,so i went back to school in 80 to get a degree in electronics , industrial automation was code for "robots" back then , i ended up at Cincinnati Milacron , i installed large automation projects all over the world , one thing became clear , the large union factories were not going to let union workers be replaced by Robots/Automation .
We did a lot of business with non union plants , i have been kicked out of many large union manufacturing plants over problems with the union being upset at how much faster the automation was compared to the union employees . The unions fought the upgrades all the way , they won a lot of the time . We routinely slowed down the equipment to satisfy union reps . The "Robot Boom " of the 80s and 90s never was a big as predicted . I do believe there are less union factories now , still , by 2020 ........dont think so , but i dont know
Jan 18, 2016, 10:42 PM
Closed Account
Are we sure there will be any jobs left by then for them to take?

Last week there was an article in the paper. The smallest percentage of people are working in America since before most people were born.

I guess in the future, even the robots will be unemployed.
Jan 18, 2016, 11:38 PM
That's so awesome, just send my robot off to work while I just cruise around all day in my new "Moller sky car" looking for a drone to drag off.
Jan 19, 2016, 03:34 AM
My faithful companion Tonto
Quote:
Originally Posted by traceyl View Post

"Over five million jobs will be lost by 2020 as a result of developments in genetics, artificial intelligence, robotics and other technological change, according to World Economic Forum research.

About 7 million jobs will be lost and 2 million gained as a result of technological change in 15 major developed and emerging economies, WEF founder Klaus Schwab and managing board member Richard Samans said in "The Future of Jobs." The findings are taken from a survey of 15 economies covering about 1.9 billion workers, or about 65 percent of the world’s total workforce."

We will need to let in a bunch more H1B visas to have people with enough drive and education to service that automated workforce.
Latest blog entry: Name my new cat.
Jan 19, 2016, 03:35 AM
Tu ne cede malis
great. so what you're telling us is we are becoming a non viable culture

due to interference
Jan 19, 2016, 03:44 AM
This can be undone by smuggling in even more illegal aliens......they will do the jobs cheaper that robots wont do
Jan 19, 2016, 03:56 AM
It is a lesser evil. A developed country needs automation to be able to compete against emerging market. Actually in USA, Europe and Japan, robots save jobs.
In the 80s there was the same fears. Severa years later only industrial companies that adapted still survive in our evonomies. The ones that survived generally went the robot route. The other ones de localized their production.
Jan 08, 2020, 11:30 AM
Ok, so where are we today?

Unemployment rates are very low in Germany and - as far as I'm informed - in the US as well.

What's your view?
Jan 08, 2020, 11:33 AM
Epoxy & CA Investor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald L
Ok, so where are we today?

Unemployment rates are very low in Germany and - as far as I'm informed - in the US as well.

What's your view?
Bigger question is where is TraceL today?

My bet is Russia.
Jan 08, 2020, 11:54 AM
And how many jobs will robots create?

And will it be more or less than the amount of jobs they eliminate?

This is stupid propaganda.

An example: I'm an automation engineer. My job is to write digital robots that mock the actions of manual users, basically. Robots created my job.
Jan 08, 2020, 12:02 PM
Living the dream.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UlteriorModem
I'm still waiting on the 'paperless office'.
No kidding,
Jan 08, 2020, 12:25 PM
My faithful companion Tonto
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandetlol
And how many jobs will robots create?

And will it be more or less than the amount of jobs they eliminate?

This is stupid propaganda.

An example: I'm an automation engineer. My job is to write digital robots that mock the actions of manual users, basically. Robots created my job.
A lot for those that work in G Code and understand the words Step and Direction.

Those robots will be replacing those that don't understand simple instruction... Like serve the burgers not hold a gun on the customer in the drive thru because you screwed up the order.

https://www.wmcactionnews5.com/2020/...-gun-customer/
Latest blog entry: Name my new cat.
Jan 08, 2020, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by traceyl

(raises hand)I'm the guy that builds the robots and installs them at my plant. My future looks fairly good as things go.

Glad I don't work for a horse whip company or one that makes rotary phones..

Quick Reply