Lacolle International ALES - Aug. 26-28 2016 - RC Groups
Jan 18, 2016, 10:58 AM
Ok that's high enough
Discussion

Lacolle International ALES - Aug. 26-28 2016

Hi everyone,

Mark the Aug.26-28 weekend in your agenda for the Lacolle International 2016 championship.

The program details and pre-registration is now open on rcflightdeck, 48 spots are available.

You also have plenty of time to build your UMS Class ship for the Friday event

LACOLLE INTERNATIONAL 2016 CHAMPIONSHIP
3rd annual MAAC sanctionned international electric soaring championship
LACOLLE, QUEBEC, CANADA

This is a three days program counting for three distinct ALES competitions + extras activities. There is a fourth chance to get LSF points with the overall three days points board, for this championship (July 19 2001 decision, third paragraph from the bottom).

EVENTS
Friday AM___ UMS Class ALES day 1
Friday PM___ LSF eSAP accomplishments & Fun Fly
Saturday____ Open class ALES day 2
Sunday______ Open class ALES day 3

DAILY AWARDS
FRI - 1st place;

SAT and SUN: 1st to 3rd place experts, 1st and 2nd place sportsman.

Lacolle International grand champion award for best combined score for the three days.

There will be an exhibition fly-offs with the best four pilots for a special 15 minutes round Sunday launched to low altitude. Don't miss this spectacular demonstration.

CLASSES & CLASSIFICATION CRITERIA FOR OPEN EVENTS:

EXPERT:
(1) Working on LSF Level III, IV or V, or
(2) Previously placed in the top 3 in a contest with 10 or more pilots, or
(3) Volunteer to fly in Expert class.

SPORTSMAN:
(1) All others

PRE-REGISTRATION IS STRONGLY ENCOURAGED AND APPRECIATED and limited to 48 tickets.

Visit rcflightdeck to preregister.

Pilot signin is 30 minutes before each individual competition.

This event is hosted by the Arpents v'air club RC on our beautiful sod farm in Lacolle, QC Canada, minutes from the Canada-US border. We expect participation from Quebec, Ontario and the nearby states of NY, NJ, NH, Maine and Vermont. Perhaps other places?

Dry camping is possible on the site.
See the list of hotels & motels and campgrounds on our preregistration page.

Open Class (Sat & Sun)

All specifications and rules will be as per the usual "AMA event 631".

UMS Class (Friday AM)

In UMS class all specifications and rules will be as per the usual "AMA event 631", but with a few additionnal requirements.

UMS (Unusual Material Sailplane) class is a scratch build sailplane with unusual materials (packing tape, saran wrap, cardboard, whatever) and likely sparebox pieces. No size limit. Three or four rounds will be flown in the ALES format. Pure fun, nothing serious here! Task time and launch height will be negociated by the pilots at the meeting.

UMS class special requirements:
Wingspan : 1 to 4.0 meters
Weight : no limitations
Motorization: is not essential; electric, hand or bungee launches permitted
Materials: the implementation must show at least one functional design element not usually found in modern RC sailplanes. Be imaginative.
Decoration: the sailplane must show some creative art decoration: be creative! Hey, why not ask a 5-year old for help?

It's time to build !

LSF accomplishments and fun fly (Friday PM)

A full afternoon of LSF's (League of Silent Flight) eSAP program flight accomplishments.

- Information on the eSAP program - Express registration - Precision landing tasks - Flight duration tasks - Cross country tasks
We have a safe 2 km straight course for goal-and-return tasks.
Last edited by FabFlight; Apr 25, 2016 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Added 4th chance to mark LSF points with the championship points
to remove ads between posts
Jan 18, 2016, 10:58 AM
Ok that's high enough
(Reserved)
Jan 19, 2016, 07:13 PM
CrazyCanuckGliders.ca
I'll be there as a spectator
Jan 19, 2016, 07:19 PM
Ok that's high enough
Hi Gio. You're welcome. You could even time for someone. You can bring your DLG and fly at lunch time.
Jan 19, 2016, 07:27 PM
CrazyCanuckGliders.ca
Thanks Fab, looking forward to it ;-)
It'll be great..
Jan 21, 2016, 08:19 AM
Ok that's high enough
Hi,

The overall 3-days points board (championship) will also count for a fourth chance to record LSF points. I've modified post 1 accordingly.

The explanation have been provided by Dennis Adamisin (LSF Secretary 2001) and reported in this article by Gordy Stahl in RSCD Feb. 2016 at p.36.
Last edited by FabFlight; Jan 21, 2016 at 08:31 AM.
Jan 21, 2016, 08:33 AM
Ok that's high enough
Hey, show your UMS class builds here.
Jan 21, 2016, 01:10 PM
I've been working on a Squawk adjustable V-Tail for this application. Further known as a SAV-Tail . Patent pending. I'll use a linear servo to squeeze the fuse to convert from V-tail to regular H-Stab. I won't use flaps on this version because the plan is to come in slow and inverted (becoming a high wing). All of you engineers who say WHAT about the rudder on landing? It's a floating rudder and will be controlled by one servo. For those of you new to this... it will protrude on either side on a slide via a switch. This way it can be flown as a TRUE X tail @50/50. Got the idea from the Soyuz tail and thus creating less drag. Enough room in rear fuselage to add a TW38i/v6 thruster (if the need should arise). Which is why we (I) added cooling vents to the rear (ahhh, it makes sense now right?).
The winter version may have a small ski on the top of rudder to aid in ground control (don't forget it will come in inverted, thus being a high wing. Testing remains.

Why you ask. Because i can!

The thinking behind the adjustable CG is that on climbs the CG backs up so I have a more aerobatic plane. When coming down the CG moves forward creating a more stable entry. While doing 3D manoeuvres it should create quite the wild ride as the CG jumps around thus making snap rolls... interesting and questionable! Just like this project. Enjoy the video. Blame Fab, he encouraged this silliness!
JUST REALIZED THIS IS UMS:
UMS (Unusual Material Sailplane) class is a scratch build sailplane with unusual materials

NEED TO START OVER!! DAMN, DID NOT READING BEFORE STARTING!!
Squawk adjustable V-Tail (0 min 28 sec)
Last edited by camber2reflex; Jan 21, 2016 at 01:12 PM. Reason: UMS
Jan 21, 2016, 01:24 PM
Ok that's high enough
LOL this is truely remarquable, it glides very well. It certainly qualifies for the UMS class!

I'll show mine in a few days. No progress so far. I plan to use foam poster boards, pine and aluminium.
Jan 25, 2016, 08:56 AM
Ok that's high enough

Building my UMS class ship

Friday's AM competition is an UMS Class ALES. UMS stands for Unusual Material Sailplane. Your plane should be a scratch build made with at least one material not usually found on modern RC sailplanes and spare box parts. Don't take this too seriously, it is really meant for pure fun. It just needs to fly 3-4 rounds. Don't forget to decorate it.

So here's my shot at it. I'm building a 75% scale e-Bubble dancer (2.25 m) with foam poster boards, pine, aluminium, clear tape, and hot glue. It should be around 1 kg with a wing loading around 21 g/dm2.

The wing will be in one piece, 2.5m is the largest that fits in my truck.

Cmon, show us your builds too !
Last edited by FabFlight; Jan 26, 2016 at 07:20 AM.
Jan 25, 2016, 09:16 PM
Ok that's high enough
Some more progress, I finished the 2.15m wing at 420 g.

There is a lot of flex. I'm glad I did not go for 3 meters.
Feb 04, 2016, 12:07 AM
That UMS event looks like fun. I may have to go if a scheduling conflict is resolved.

Some ideas:
-Kraft paper (as in paper bag material), more or less epoxy saturated, looks like a great material to apply to foam cores with vacuum bagging. Long ago, I made a test wing and thought it was easier than working with fiberglass and epoxy. It seemed quite tough and ridid. Might be good for fuselages too. On wings and skinny fuselages, you'd need spars or other reinforcement. Used with Titebond and water, it's good for repairs to foamies and drapes well. I suppose if you could eliminate warps, Titebond and paper might work for entire wings and fuselages.
-Floppy, weak materials favor low aspect ratios and thicker airfoils, though if you're working with foam the volume (and therefore weight) will build up fast. The airfoil used on the Gemini, back in the '80s, was supposed to work ok:
http://m-selig.ae.illinois.edu/ads/afplots/geminism.gif
Lower aspect ratio models might fly better with tricks or gadgets such as winglets, a c-wing, or outboard horizontal stabilizers,
http://aero.stanford.edu/reports/non...anarwings.html
http://hdarrenougue.free.fr/html/whatisohs.htm
I understand that you can get away with a center of gravity much further back with OHS than with conventional configurations, but that the stall is evil. I think I've also heard that a c-wing model is hard to turn, though I suspect that if it used both the horizontal stab surfaces and ailerons for roll control, it might be ok. Obviously, any of this really unconventional stuff is going to require a lot more work. Some of these might be great for 2 meter models, allowing enough area to carry heavy winch line.
-Another way to deal with weak, floppy materials would be to use a braced biplane. This, of course, is far more conventional. I'm not sure how much drag the bracing would produce. Maybe the use of music wire would keep it low. Apart from the drag of the bracing, a big gap is better aerodynamically.
-A guy I correspond with uses "onion skin" paper to cover some of his models.
-FAI free flight guys used to cover wings with very light aluminum. Apparently it worked quite well. You might not want your antenna in there, though. Aluminum might make very nice spars, too, if you do really good surface preparation for the glue. I've seen really light stamped aluminum ribs for full scale airplanes. It might make good ribs for RC models, too. I'm thinking from soda cans? http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/graphics/012f.jpg
-I suspect the right size hollow bamboo would make good tail booms, though I'm guessing they might not be very rigid in torsion. This is not my idea, or else I'm not the only one who's thought of it. (Not sure which.) I saw a plan by, I think, Radoslav Cizek using this kind of tailboom. I've also seen drawings of bicycles made with it.

I'd better stop now and do something else.
Feb 04, 2016, 12:18 AM
Oops, I forgot the "Bedsheet Boomerang":
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=5145
Feb 04, 2016, 08:50 AM
Ok that's high enough
Wow Lincoln, you're inspired

I was looking at a way to increase the crush (crash) resistance of my foamboard fuselage.
Last week I tried to wet the paper surface of foam board with a thin coat of epoxy, worked in with a rubber applicator. My test piece was 1 x 4 inches. I applied epoxy to one side only. The following day I tried to measure the force required to deflect by 1/4 inch the test piece in compression and in tension, compared to an identical non-treated piece. I could not see much difference, none that I actually was able to measure with the limited means I had. The weight gain was 10%. Given those preliminary results, I decided not to pursue testing.

Kraft paper likely have longer fibers than my foamboard, perhaps results would be better.
Feb 04, 2016, 10:21 AM
Try using nylon (as in pantyhose). Send me results.
I thought this was about "non standard" materials?
Foam, foamboard, gatorboard, coroplast and mesh are all things that I've seen on planes being sold. Never seen one sold with pantyhose ; )
Fab, just don't crash.

Quick Reply