Jun 18, 2019, 12:39 PM
Tu ne cede malis
Darland will be the weekend after this one, June 28-30

I use this site
https://mappingsupport.com/p2/gissur....336047&zoom=7

Map menu at upper right. "Scanned topo" shows ownership at medium scale via color.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 18, 2019, 02:30 PM
Blind Hawk
Thread OP
Oh, will have to check out what's happening that weekend.

That map site is awesome, thanks!

Rj
Jun 18, 2019, 03:33 PM
Tu ne cede malis
Yes, it's of course based on google maps but has a fluid easy feel to it and a lot of map layers. I use it plus GE for my map prowling.
Jun 19, 2019, 12:06 PM
pushing string
I haven't been able to get to the Cascades since 6-p. Your posts have me on the edge of my seat tho! Darland looks fantastic! I will have try that soon, Thank you!
Jun 19, 2019, 12:55 PM
Tu ne cede malis
glad to hear it, the more slopers in the Cascades, the better. You should plan to meet us up there in two weeks. We have a very casual, very cool bunch of slope freaks. The camping plus flying is a blast.
Jun 21, 2019, 10:28 AM
Tu ne cede malis
Jun 23, 2019, 02:18 PM
Cascade Mtns Sloper
At least four of us are planning to meet at Darland Mountain June 29 - 30. Probably foamy LZs. Great views. 6981'. Naches area, SE of Mt. Rainier. Partly cloudy to mostly sunny. Westerlies 6 - 9 mph at Naches, higher up top.

Hu Elsie is in?

Elevation makes it chilly at night.
Jun 24, 2019, 10:47 AM
Tu ne cede malis
Weather looks great in nearby Yakima...

I think the LZ looks better than foamy in spite of the rock possibilities, due to the large flat behind the slope which should make for a nice 'hover and settle' landing if the air is decent. I'm not saying bring a fleet of crunchie for this round, but one just in case might be good.

Michelle and I plan to be at the site by early afternoon on Friday, if there are any issues (snow, impassable road, whatever) we'll report back and call folks to redirect

Windy Link to Darland
Last edited by MtnGoat; Jun 24, 2019 at 01:06 PM.
Jun 26, 2019, 09:56 AM
Tu ne cede malis
Getting psyched, great sloping weather is still forecast. About 3000 feet of relief to the west should yield big thermals by mid-afternoon, pushed up the slope by prevailing winds.

Last night I finished up repairing the Evo 2.6m, which hasn't gotten a fly this year since I stuffed it last fall and I picked up the Pheonix 2400 in the spring.
Jun 26, 2019, 05:34 PM
Hello Goat, I plan on Thursday afternoon arrival. Not sure if I take the middle fork or the north fork of the ahtanum? Also is there a back-up site if Darland is not accessible?
Jun 26, 2019, 08:57 PM
Tu ne cede malis
Hi CC , that is great news! Glad to meet another slope dog!

We're a very laid back bunch and I think you'll enjoy the company.

The backup will be Timberwolf near Naches, unfortunately a ways past Naches so back to Yakima then west, but there is nothing else close. Upside is...also a great hill. Can make the top on foot if the yearly snowbank in the last 500 feet is still there. Link

I'll have better directions soon but here are the basics

Turn into Yakima at the airport exit
cut south when practical to hit East west Ahtanum road to tampico
Head to Tampico and continue
5-10 minutes later pick your poison right or left at the fork, right is north fork (i remember it being somewhat rocky), left is middle fork and ridge ascent
Continue to top
look for obvious spur road to NW
Continue less than one mile to NW and descend a few hundred feet to flat point on NW ridge, should be obvious.

- After looking at the imagery I think I will take the left, middle fork...looks very well graded to clover springs

https://mappingsupport.com/p2/gissurfer.php?
use the tabs in upper right corner to select maps and imagery
Last edited by MtnGoat; Jun 26, 2019 at 09:11 PM.
Jun 26, 2019, 11:16 PM
M.G, Thanks for the directions. I'll be driving a grey Ranger if we pass in opposite directions
Jun 27, 2019, 10:36 AM
Tu ne cede malis
I hope to see that grey Ranger at the point sometime in early afternoon tomorrow. Plan is to leave 9ish, hit Toppenish for an early lunch at a mexican joint we like, then north to hit the legendary Yakima Walmart for groceries and ice. 4 miles backtrack to Ahtanum road, and off to Darland summit and sloping history! (such as it is, anyway. )

My girlfriend has decided we need prizes to spice things up. There will be the best meal prize, fastest airspeed prize (radar gun), and the prize no one wants.... the fastest "landing" prize.

I'm now pretty sure the Middle Fork/Clover flats route is the shiznit. See below from the DNR...
"Clover Flats Campground is the westernmost camping facility on the Middle Fork Road. Campsites can accommodate up to a 28-foot RV, though size may vary by site. "

it takes a pretty decent road to advertise that...https://www.dnr.wa.gov/Ahtanum
Last edited by MtnGoat; Jun 27, 2019 at 10:47 AM.
Jun 27, 2019, 05:19 PM
Tu ne cede malis
We may have two more pilots attending from my neck of the woods, this is shaping up to be a pretty good meet if they can make it. Lets hope the air cooperates, and the snow is off the road
Jun 28, 2019, 10:00 AM
Tu ne cede malis
Weather still holding. Beautiful morning, time to pack the rig and we are rolling. Cannot wait to try out the Everest of WA sloping (roaded)

Quick Reply