Oct 11, 2018, 05:22 PM
Thanks Roy. I live on Orcas and it is loaded with hills (with trees) but lacking landing zones. Still looking for a good place to slope other than the Southern end of San Juan.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 11, 2018, 05:44 PM
Soaring with Eagles
SDR / Kiona Sat-Sun 10/13-14, winds about perfect.
Oct 15, 2018, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcas flier
Is anyone aware of a slope site in the San Juan islands that faces North?
Yes there is on San Juan but its a difficult spot and only good in light winds (too much wind and there is no lift). This is a little known site right at the entrance to South Beach. Basically you can fly over the road facing Griffin Bay. You can sky out in this spot in the right conditions and aircraft. I used to fly an old Windfree and a CR Climmax there quite often in N winds.
Oct 15, 2018, 08:50 PM
Excellent! Thank you!
Oct 15, 2018, 09:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiramisu
Yes there is on San Juan but its a difficult spot and only good in light winds (too much wind and there is no lift). This is a little known site right at the entrance to South Beach. Basically you can fly over the road facing Griffin Bay. You can sky out in this spot in the right conditions and aircraft. I used to fly an old Windfree and a CR Climmax there quite often in N winds.
Michael! Hi there. You're the one who shared those excellent spots with me. Reminds me. I have to get back to that Contender project some day.
Oct 17, 2018, 03:21 PM
Blind Hawk
Thread OP
Three of us headed over last Friday (12th), 30 - 40 great conditions at Eagle. Saturday forecast was to switch to north so we went to SDR and met Tom P there. Measured gusts over 60, steady 50 is I'd say. Tumbleweed migration across the top was in full swing!

Radar measured my Energic at 134 mph on a speed pass, plenty for me! Tom's Energic and Dave's FMF were casualties but still had a great day with a good hour or two of combat.

Late in the day Dave and I tried some DS, wind had died and all we were willing to risk was combat wings but were able to get some laps in, oh yeah!

Rj
Oct 19, 2018, 10:10 AM
Cascade Mtns Sloper
So at Eagle, anyone lose a plane in the corn field? Or was that all sheered down to stubble? Way cool.
Oct 19, 2018, 01:39 PM
Blind Hawk
Thread OP
Corn was still standing a week ago. No lost planes. Made best effort to land on the slope side of the road. A couple went in a few rows deep but the first few rows the corn is pretty short/sparse (from the wind I assume) so no problem finding them.

Rj
Oct 19, 2018, 04:19 PM
Worked well for me...just crash in the corn
Oct 20, 2018, 01:35 AM
Cascade Mtns Sloper
Corn landings! What a hoot. I was just pitying anyone who landed fifty or 200 yards back. I pictured a few weeks later and their plane going through whatever combine or harvester gives that stuff a shave and a haircut. 'Mommy, there's carbon fiber in my corn. Does that mean it's GMO?' Heh.
Oct 21, 2018, 02:02 PM
Cascade Mtns Sloper

Slope reports in penultimate issue of RCSD

Hay PNW Slopers,

One of the two slope reports is our trip to SDR and Eagle Butte 9/29-30, 2018. Page 101. It even has the photo of Bill Babin giving lift to Tom Provo's Ahi with a battery powered leaf blower.

Contents: Two slope reports, a dissection of the Taranis soarus wreck(s), and a Halloween F9enstein in the November issue of RCSD.

In it, Bill and Bunny Kuhlman announce that December will be their last RCSD. What a tremendous contribution they have made over almost two decades of publishing it. Thanks, Bill and Bunny.

The RCSD main page
<https://rcsoaringdigest.com/>
provides links to the available PDFs.

Note: I write with my first and middle names, so as

~Philip Randolph.
Oct 21, 2018, 08:51 PM
Love your writing Phillip. SlopeDawg!!! hehe Gotta get Bo some Boots!
Oct 23, 2018, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dang
Michael! Hi there. You're the one who shared those excellent spots with me. Reminds me. I have to get back to that Contender project some day.
Hey!..its been awhile. If you do not get to it let me know as I really want to get a Contender flying again out here. I got the bug again...
Oct 23, 2018, 04:03 PM
Cascade Mtns Sloper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provotech
SlopeDawg!!! hehe Gotta get Bo some Boots!
Get him some little red Superman boots and a red cape. Heh. Well, don't. He might try to fly off one of them bluffs.
Last edited by Philip R. P.; Oct 23, 2018 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Less is more.
Feb 03, 2019, 09:31 PM
Hi, I live in norcal, anyone recommend a beginner slope plane. Not looking for a wing and a v tail is fine or regular tail, probably 3-4" max... Something fairly durable and not too aggressive and maybe looks nice too :O...lol

Thanks...

Quick Reply