Jan 18, 2016, 09:41 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

FMS F-15 64mm or Freewing F-18 4S

I couldn't locate a thread on either of these planes. I'm considering dipping a toe into EDFs and would appreciate any thoughts on these two models in the subject line.

For the FMS F-15, my thought is to immediately upgrade to 4S using 2200mah packs and this fan unit on the stock 50A ESC, which gives 1.06kg static thrust and should draw under 50A once it unloads in the air:

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Version_.html

I figure on adding about 140g to the 660g published model weight (70g of battery and ~70g of fan/motor) which will still give me a better than 1 to 1 power to weight ratio (~800 gram est. AUW for this combo).

For the Freewing 64mm F-18 4S, my thought is to leave it stock, however the model is significantly heavier in stock form at 1000g and the included fan unit supposedly puts out 1000g of static thrust so it'll be a 1 to 1 power to weight ratio vs. 1.3 for the FMS.

I plan to hand launch and belly land either model so can ditch the nose gear servo and gear, which will save a bit of weight on either model, but given the two choices above, I'm leaning towards the modified FMS F-15 given it's significantly lighter to start vs. the Freewing plane.

Does anyone have recommendations regarding this path?
to remove ads between posts
Feb 02, 2016, 12:59 PM
Maverick
I fly the FMS F15 on 2200 3S 40C packs and I am happy with the performance of this jet. Loops, rolls and Cuban 8's are totally doable. Price is right and I take this to the flying field every time I go because it is so fun to fly. No issues at all with this jet and have logged over 200 flights.
Mar 21, 2016, 12:36 PM
big ignore list/drama is dumb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizer67 View Post
I couldn't locate a thread on either of these planes. I'm considering dipping a toe into EDFs and would appreciate any thoughts on these two models in the subject line.

For the FMS F-15, my thought is to immediately upgrade to 4S using 2200mah packs and this fan unit on the stock 50A ESC, which gives 1.06kg static thrust and should draw under 50A once it unloads in the air:

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Version_.html

I figure on adding about 140g to the 660g published model weight (70g of battery and ~70g of fan/motor) which will still give me a better than 1 to 1 power to weight ratio (~800 gram est. AUW for this combo).

For the Freewing 64mm F-18 4S, my thought is to leave it stock, however the model is significantly heavier in stock form at 1000g and the included fan unit supposedly puts out 1000g of static thrust so it'll be a 1 to 1 power to weight ratio vs. 1.3 for the FMS.

I plan to hand launch and belly land either model so can ditch the nose gear servo and gear, which will save a bit of weight on either model, but given the two choices above, I'm leaning towards the modified FMS F-15 given it's significantly lighter to start vs. the Freewing plane.

Does anyone have recommendations regarding this path?
4s on a 64mm should move really good

Quick Reply