Jan 17, 2016, 09:50 PM
Sucker for biplanes
Thread OP
Discussion

Lost throttle protection on TURNIGY ESC not working

I have a TURNIGY 85A SBEC running a E-flite power 60. While doing a range test with my son at the controls we determined everything was working properly, he turned off the radio Plane took off at me full throttle, managed to hit a wing with my leg and get a nose over. Luckily I didn't lose the plane.

Not having this happen before, I went into the manual. Says that the feature is built in. Guess not, any ideas?

Thanks
Last edited by DMHIGHFLYER; Jan 17, 2016 at 10:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 17, 2016, 10:24 PM
When you first bound the receiver to the transmitter, was the throttle at minimum? Did you have to reverse the throttle in the transmitter? Maybe you should bind the receiver again.
Jan 17, 2016, 11:06 PM
Sucker for biplanes
Thread OP
I believe the the throttle was at minimum. I've been flying the plane for two years now without a problem. I'm going to bind it to my new radio so I'll see if that does the trick. Thanks
Jan 18, 2016, 01:00 AM
http://www.sgvhumane.org/
Look up "failsafe" in your transmitter manual.
Jan 18, 2016, 08:11 AM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
+1 on the failsafe. But ALWAYS turn the TX on first and off last.

- Roger
Jan 18, 2016, 12:01 PM
Sucker for biplanes
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnofliwr
+1 on the failsafe. But ALWAYS turn the TX on first and off last.

- Roger
I've been flying about 10yrs now and have always followed that practice. My son just started and getting ready for running a buddy cord. So a good learning lesson for him. The plane is a older H9 P-51 40 and has about thirty flights with this set up.

I'm going to bind this setup to my 11x and will check the fail safe. Had been flying it with a DX7. Thanks for the info!
Jan 18, 2016, 04:30 PM
Now you know why guys who fly gassers stand with their feed on either side of the fuse, so the tail is captured by their ankles. A simple precaution when someone else is handling the transmitter.
Jan 18, 2016, 07:59 PM
Sucker for biplanes
Thread OP
Yes, I mostly fly gassers and ether run them up between the legs or in a anchored tail holder. I'm interested to see what happens when a gasser looses signal, same thing? Wonder how far my P-51 would have flown if it lost signal
Jan 18, 2016, 08:43 PM
If the receiver in you gasser comes up the same way, then yes, it could also fly away.
Jan 19, 2016, 03:55 PM
I always do a controlled test of turning off the tx to make sure the plane doesn't do anything like that. In practice I always disconnect the plane first but you never know. I could drop the tx and have the batteries pop out, bump the power switch, etc.

Quick Reply