Jan 17, 2016, 08:11 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Power for Thunder Tiger Spirit of St Louis

Hey all... I am looking to convert my thunder tiger spirit of st.louis which runs an 8.4volt 600 mah battery pack in the fuselage...The battery is old...and heavy.... looking for lighter battery with longer flight time and preferably a bit more power... any help is appreciated... thank You... I will stick with the stock motor, servos and esc... as I am new to all this.... George
Last edited by tamasuperstar; Jan 17, 2016 at 08:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 17, 2016, 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamasuperstar View Post
Hey all... I am looking to convert my thunder tiger spirit of st.louis which runs an 8.4volt 600 mah battery pack in the fuselage...The battery is old...and heavy.... looking for lighter battery with longer flight time and preferably a bit more power... any help is appreciated... thank You... I will stick with the stock motor, servos and esc... as I am new to all this.... George
This should do the job.
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html

Glen
Jan 17, 2016, 08:55 PM
Thread OP

how do i charge it?... and adapt the plug?..

also will I get more flight time?... thanks Glen...sorry im a newbie... I am an ama and plan to join a club soon... George
Jan 17, 2016, 11:24 PM
Quote:
also will I get more flight time?... thanks Glen...sorry im a newbie... I am an ama and plan to join a club soon... George
May I suggest you read this:
http://www.tjinguytech.com/charging-how-tos
It will answer a lot fo your newbie questions.

Glen
Jan 18, 2016, 08:45 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Glen.... will this give me more flight time and better power?

I know the plane has built in battery eliminator circuit. I am assuming this battery has one plug for receiver and a jst for the servos and motor?...
I so much appreciate your help

picture is what I have now ...........
weight is 90grms or 3.2 oz....heavy
Last edited by tamasuperstar; Jan 18, 2016 at 09:18 AM.
Jan 18, 2016, 11:57 AM
Welcome to RC Groups. As a newbie, a good site for dozens of educational videos is flitetest.com Click on the "show" button in the upper left part of the home page. You can use their search function (type "beginner" in the search box) to learn about esc's, motors, wiring, etc. They also have a lot of ideas about building low-cost easy to fly airplanes.
Jan 18, 2016, 04:53 PM
Thread OP
thanks I am learning a lot on that site....

finally figured out I have a stock 370 brushed motor...
the prop is 6390 stock and I am switching to a gws 9070
would still like to upgrade the batt if possible.
LHS said I may kill the new batt if I switch to lipo from nimh... ...any opinions?
Jan 18, 2016, 06:41 PM
Quote:
thanks I am learning a lot on that site....

finally figured out I have a stock 370 brushed motor...
the prop is 6390 stock and I am switching to a gws 9070

When you go from a 6" diameter prop to a 9" diameter prop you will be increasing the amp draw significantly. You must use a wattmeter to verify the new amp draw does not exceed the limits of the ESC and the motor.

would still like to upgrade the batt if possible.
LHS said I may kill the new batt if I switch to lipo from nimh... ...any opinions?

Your LHS probably said this because the LVC in the ESC is set to NiMh specs. Meaning if you fly to LVC the LiPo will have been discharged to low. You combat this by reprogramming the ESC to LiPo instead of NiMh. If you cannot do this you time your flights and measure the battery voltage after you land. Start with short flights and work up to the point where the battery is reading no lower than 3.7V / cell about 5 minutes after you land.
As to your previous question about the connectors on the battery I recommended.

The yellow (XT60) connector is the main charge / discharge connector. You will probably have to change this to whatever your plane uses.

The white connector is the balancing connector and is only used when charging the battery.

Glen
Jan 18, 2016, 11:46 PM
Thread OP
I certainly get that Glen.... maybe I would just get a new nimh batt...
having trouble finding a new 8.4v 600 mah
Jan 22, 2016, 08:30 PM
Thread OP
Ok I have my new powersource and working well/excellent
Im using Turnigy 2S 7.4V 1000 mah pack

I have a previous problem with my rudder trim. I turned off the transmitter before turning off the receiver... Now I cant trim the rudder at neutral. Is there anyway to reset this?, without removing thehorns and relocating it?...or trimming the servo wire back?...pls help anyone... TX is 27mhz ace commander.. Thanks
Jan 22, 2016, 10:41 PM
Quote:
Ok I have my new powersource and working well/excellent
Im using Turnigy 2S 7.4V 1000 mah pack

I have a previous problem with my rudder trim. I turned off the transmitter before turning off the receiver... Now I cant trim the rudder at neutral. Is there anyway to reset this?, without removing thehorns and relocating it?...or trimming the servo wire back?...pls help anyone... TX is 27mhz ace commander.. Thanks
27mhz???? It's time to move into the 21st century.
2.4ghz is the way to go.

Glen
Jan 23, 2016, 07:43 AM
Thread OP
lol......
I know but this plane came with its own tx... and a can motor...this is a relic about 10 yrs old?...bought the rtf on ebay for 60 bucks...

anyway I fixed the servo to center. I am on a learning curve here

glen thanks!

how would I reprogram an esc to lipo?
Jan 23, 2016, 07:55 AM
Quote:
lol......
I know but this plane came with its own tx... and a can motor...this is a relic about 10 yrs old?...bought the rtf on ebay for 60 bucks...

anyway I fixed the servo to center. I am on a learning curve here

glen thanks!

how would I reprogram an esc to lipo?
Hard to say without the spec sheet for the ESC.

But, the only difference to the ESC is the LVC voltage. You could get by without reprogramming by carefully timing your flight and measuring the battery and cell voltages at the end of the flight. As long as the cell voltages are no less than 3.7V five minutes after flight you should be OK.

Glen
Jan 25, 2016, 03:13 PM
Here's a neat Spirit of St. Louis thread from 2006, with updates: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=466535
Last edited by kamcoman; Jan 25, 2016 at 03:13 PM. Reason: d

Quick Reply