Jan 16, 2016, 09:49 PM
Kimbers Keeper.
Thread OP
Discussion

An ARF by any other name, is still an ARF!

to remove ads between posts
Jan 17, 2016, 03:21 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
I prefer, - a model plane by any other name is still a model plane, (not a dr##e, an ARF, ora RTF ).

Someone somewhere still made that model plane, and made it well going by the photos. Is it tissue covered and doped, or an ironed on film ?.

Ray.
Jan 17, 2016, 03:55 AM
Kimbers Keeper.
Thread OP
This is my latest project, 60" Wasp, Kit from Easybuilt Models. Printed balsa, no laser or die cut
on this one. The covering is Silkspan, it will be finished with WBU. Clear with some red trim.

Emax 2822, 800kv turning a 11X4.7. 18a esc, 12g servos, should be around 28oz AUW.

I just finished a Comet Sparky. 55", 15oz AUW.

Going to do some better wheels.

It does not fly, gravity bows in submission of its beauty.

This is the completed wing!

Jan 17, 2016, 03:59 AM
Kimbers Keeper.
Thread OP
And 1/2 Pint

Jan 17, 2016, 04:07 AM
DFS#000178
Most ARFs are built better than I could build them, honestly.

I can't scoff at any ARF I've ever assembled because they're always prettier than any kit I ever built.
Jan 17, 2016, 05:56 AM
A man with too many toys
It has always surprised my that ARFs are less expensive that build it yourself. Also the quality has gotten much better over the years.

Jan 17, 2016, 09:51 AM
AMA 537620
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
It has always surprised my that ARFs are less expensive that build it yourself. Also the quality has gotten much better over the years.

Hasn't always been that way. They used to be significantly more expensive than the same wood kit back in the day, 20+ years ago. Demand of ARFs has made it more expensive to box all the parts up in a neat kit instead of cutting them on an industrial level and shoveling them down the line to third world workers.
Jan 17, 2016, 10:27 AM
ARF's are great. The color schemes are great too. BUT, the pleasure of building, which includes mancave time and exercises the brain really is more satisfying than throwing servos in and bolting a motor on.

I'm hooked on building after completing my first, a Sig LT-25. Sheeted and painted.
Jan 17, 2016, 11:30 AM
Unterwerfen Sie sich der Gewal
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperRon
ARF's are great. The color schemes are great too. BUT, the pleasure of building, which includes mancave time and exercises the brain really is more satisfying than throwing servos in and bolting a motor on.
I am re-discovering the "pleasure" as you put it. I built my first plane thirty years ago when I was... well 30 years ago and the final result was not good. I've just started the build of a J Roberts stinson sr-6 that I purchased from another member on this site.

195 grams for a wing would be nice. 1/4 of my wing weighs that much I'd bet.
Last edited by freddy_fo; Oct 05, 2017 at 09:02 AM.
Jan 17, 2016, 11:34 AM
Kimbers Keeper.
Thread OP
That is 1.95oz, just over 55g.
Jan 17, 2016, 01:02 PM
Unterwerfen Sie sich der Gewal
Nice. Hmmm... I have all the electrics and covering for this kit.
Jan 17, 2016, 02:48 PM
Maybe Kimber can teach Brad how to build from scratch
Jan 17, 2016, 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy_fo
I am re-discovering the "pleasure" as you put it. I built my first plane thirty years ago when I was... well 30 years ago and the final result was not good. I've just started the build of a J Roberts stinson sr-6 that I purchased from another member on this site.

195 grams for a wing would be nice. 1/4 of my wing weighs that much I'd bet.
Ya. I'm not going to disclose publicly how much my LT-25 weighs. Its heavy.!!

But the 4-Star that I'm building now will be nice and light....I hope.
Jan 19, 2016, 02:06 PM
I'd like to get into building from scratch...it's the only part of this hobby I haven't explored yet. I just don't know where I have room to lay everything out. But i had thought of starting with a Guillows balsa kit and going from there. That would be more managable in skill and size.

Anyone have a good Guillows kit they would recommend as a decent starter?
Jan 19, 2016, 02:23 PM
Kimbers Keeper.
Thread OP
Check this one. HK has some pretty nice kits and the prices are good, I have several of them.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Quick Reply