Where can I buy glo fuel? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 16, 2016, 08:46 PM
Discussion

Where can I buy glo fuel?

I recently acquired a couple of glo 4 stroke airplanes for my collection. I am having trouble finding a good source to purchase fuel. The closest LHS is 60 miles each way, not really local. I travel I-87 south to Albany quite often but, I'm not familiar with any hobby shops except Hobby Town USA in Albany. I frequent them nearly every time I'm down South however they have stopped carrying airplane fuel.

Can someone direct me to a LHS between Plattsburgh, NY and Albany not too far off I-87 that stocks 15% nitro with 18% oil? I want 2 gallons to start.

Regards

Dennis
to remove ads between posts
Jan 17, 2016, 08:54 AM
Me Likey Scale Planes
The guys at Hobby Town refuse to order the fuel for you?
Latest blog entry: Charge station
Jan 17, 2016, 09:12 AM
I'm not familiar with that far upstate, but the internet is your friend. You can do a search of a specific area. You can use the "find a hobby shop" feature on the AMA website.
I typed in "r/c hobby shop Albany NY" and four hobby shops popped up. Do this wherever you'd like to go and call them and see if they carry what you need. If you find you have several choices, ask what they charge per gallon....it's amazing how much they'll vary. I'm lucky that my LHS (20 mins) gets $16.30 for a gallon of 10%, which is very good. In my travels I've been to many hobby shops. If they carry fuel at all, they usually want $25-30 a gallon.
Jan 17, 2016, 09:47 AM
You could make your own, but you have to be responsible (read, handle and store and mix very carefully) with the components.
(These are last year's prices)

5% nitro fuel with castor bean oil: Super tigre S3000 wants 15% castor oil
5% nitromethane at $51.25/gallon $2.56 free shipping amazon (makes 20 gallons) 6.4 oz
22% castor oil at $30.67/gallon $6.75 (makes 4.5 gallons) 28.16 oz
73% methanol at 19.48/gallon $14.22 (makes 1.36 gallons) 93.44 oz
——————————————————————————————
$23.53

5% nitro fuel with castor bean oil: Super tigre S3000 wants 15% castor oil
5% nitromethane at $51.25/gallon $2.56 free shipping amazon (makes 20 gallons) 6.4 oz
15% castor oil at $30.67/gallon $4.60 (makes 6.6 gallons) 19.20 oz
80% methanol at 19.48/gallon $15.58 (makes 1.25 gallons) 102.40 oz
——————————————————————————————
$22.74

http://www.soap-making-resource.com/...ap-making.html castor oil gallon, $21.22 + 13.80 shipping = 35.02, 33.77 if you buy 2 at a time. Check prices for 4 gallons at a time. Shipping is about $17 per 4 gallons.

nitromethane was sold on amazon at $55 a gallon

http://www.gotopac.com/Methanol_5_ga...methylal5g.htm 5 gallon methanol 61.92 + 35.50 shipping = 19.48 a gallon shipped, FedEx will deliver. Mixes well with castor bean oil.

Mixing your own is cheaper, if you can buy cheap methanol, or can pick up the components (most of the cost is shipping them).

But if you decide to mix your own, read all you can before you buy any components. Nitromethane 100% will eat through a lot of regular things that gallon containers are made of, and the hobby doesn't need well meaning people burning their houses down.
Jan 17, 2016, 10:06 AM
AMA 537620
If you know of any speed shops, they often carry pure methanol that can be bought in various quantities (read: fill your own container), it can be had for $5-$10 a gallon most of the time. Then you just need oil and nitro, the former not so hard to find, the latter is a bit more tricky.
Jan 17, 2016, 10:11 AM
AMA 537620
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuest3141
But if you decide to mix your own, read all you can before you buy any components. Nitromethane 100% will eat through a lot of regular things that gallon containers are made of, and the hobby doesn't need well meaning people burning their houses down.
Yep, always read the MSDS and the best thing you can put it into is an empty glow fuel bottle... I believe they are the same as the gallons of windshield fluid since a common ingredient is Methanol.
Jan 17, 2016, 10:41 AM
Holy Crap!! Those methanol prices above are ridiculous! I don't pay anything for mine but if I did it would only be $2.00 a gallon. I get the nitro for $50.00 a gallon and Klotz synthetic oil castor oil blend for $45.00 a gallon.
Jan 17, 2016, 02:09 PM
AMA 537620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyjonz
Holy Crap!! Those methanol prices above are ridiculous! I don't pay anything for mine but if I did it would only be $2.00 a gallon. I get the nitro for $50.00 a gallon and Klotz synthetic oil castor oil blend for $45.00 a gallon.
Great post... Well it had potential to be great if you shared your secret.
Jan 17, 2016, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillPhatCat
Great post... Well it had potential to be great if you shared your secret.
Here is the oil I use. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=sr_1_3&sr=8-3 This is the calculater I use.... http://www.nitrorc.com/fuelws/allmix.asp This is where I get my nitro... http://klotznitromethane.com/ Try and find someone in your area that races a modified and I will bet you they will sell you some methanol cheap. I get mine from a friend that races a modified he buys a few hundred gallons at a time.
Last edited by Cyjonz; Jan 17, 2016 at 03:39 PM.
Jan 17, 2016, 04:47 PM
AMA 537620
Thanks for the links, what is the purity of that Nitro and what does shipping cost if you don't mind me asking?
Jan 17, 2016, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillPhatCat
Thanks for the links, what is the purity of that Nitro and what does shipping cost if you don't mind me asking?
Your welcome. It's right at $50 shipped. The oil I get from Amazon I'm not sure why it linked else ware. From Amazon it's free shipping.
Jan 17, 2016, 05:02 PM
Sorry. Forgot the nitro. It's 100% nitro.
Oct 18, 2017, 07:59 AM
If you go to Morgan Fuel, morganfuel.com, they have a dealer locator link. Been using their Cool Power 15% in all my Saito engines.
Oct 18, 2017, 11:11 AM
I am now buying fuel from the speed shop. They get VP Powermaster delivered once a month.
The caveat is that I must buy case lots.
Oct 18, 2017, 02:37 PM
Unfortunately this is why I am exclusively gas or electric. A lot of the members in my club are starting to use the smaller gas engines too.

The cost to ship nitro fuel is absolutely ridiculous. In order to make is feasible for the local hobby shops they must buy large amounts. IRC the owner of my LHS said he must buy at least 10 cases at a time.

If he is out the only other place to buy nitro is an hour drive.

I used to run 30% hell in my four strokes, especially Saitos, they run great but the clean up is a pain.