ARF Micro DC-10 Kit???!!! - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
View Poll Results: Would you like this in a kit?
Fully manufactured ordered from website 122 87.77%
Short kit through PM( Vacuum formed parts, window markings, and 3d printed hardware. Cut your own foam and wings.) 22 15.83%
Open source plans and file download- DIY thermo form, 3d print, hotwire foam cut, laser or hand cut parts 6 4.32%
No kit 1 0.72%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Jan 16, 2016, 08:47 AM
Designer at Heavymetalrc.com
Discussion

ARF Micro DC-10 Kit???!!!

Fully Assembled Specs-

Length 37" (Nose to tail engine nozzle)
Twin 30mm edf
2s Lipo
6A esc
Mechanical retracts
Inboard and outboard flaps
Inboard and outboard ailerons
Elevator
Rudder with internal linkage
Nose wheel steering
Current prototype weight with twin edf: 9.8 oz

Welcome heavy jet fanciers!

Please Join me in this thread for the next dc-10 build (American Airlines)
Cheers, Broc
to remove ads between posts
Jan 16, 2016, 09:18 AM
previous documentation of prototype 1 (NW) and also the new pieces painted bare metal for the AA dc-10. I will be posting every other day or so beginning next week since I am dedicating 100%. Many refinements to be made from the first model! It takes me about 4 hours to make enough parts for one airframe with no help from machines (with exception of 3d printed hardware). Not bad
Jan 16, 2016, 10:10 AM
Skylar's People
Neat! What pricing are you thinking on these, either in arf or short kit form? Also, has the prototype flown?

I'd be willing to test out a prototype if you can turn one out for me, pm on the way
Jan 16, 2016, 10:51 AM
Airliner Builder
Kit looks beautiful! I was lucky to ride on one of the last NWA DC-10s to Honolulu back in 2005-2006. I would love to build a model in that paint scheme.
Jan 16, 2016, 11:05 AM
I'm in for it. It's cute lil edf DC10 you built there.

Would be cool to see it in one of PIA's 3 liveries type wore.

Have you flown the prototype as yet?
Jan 16, 2016, 11:23 AM
airliner-rc.ru
interesting.....
Some questions:
- Flying weight
- Wing area
- How you glued top and bottom halves of fuselage
- Landing video
Thanks
Jan 16, 2016, 12:29 PM
Airliner Builder
Kit looks beautiful! I was lucky to ride on one of the last NWA DC-10s to Honolulu back in 2005-2006. I would love to build a model in that paint scheme.
Jan 16, 2016, 04:32 PM
I'm so in!!! PM me. I would love to kit this over here in China!!!

Dan
Jan 17, 2016, 05:39 AM

Wauh.. for such a kit I am waiting since I am in this hobby and this is very long ;=)

HI ,

Count me in !!! I need such a kit. I am a airliner "nerd" and if this kit is comming out for a reasonable price I will buy one (or three because next christmas is coming in near no time and I need a idea for a good present for my boys)

Please provide us with more Infos.

Many thx and kind regards

Rudi
Jan 17, 2016, 11:20 AM
IWC
IWC
Very cool indeed!
Jan 17, 2016, 04:19 PM
Yes please!
Jan 17, 2016, 05:41 PM
Can you fly bobby?
Awesome!
Jan 17, 2016, 07:52 PM
Thanks guys.. This NW model ended up being more of a way to map out a proof of concept and catalog parts. As excited as I am to get airborne, I'm not to worried about the flight. I know it will do fine. And I'm not worried about a devistating crash because I designed this thing to be easily reproduced. My priority at the moment is to get a high quality ARF kit ready to go ASAP. Any adjustments after the maiden will be minor. I hope anyway! The total flying weight is right around 10 oz with edf's. I'd really like to get under 8 oz AUW for various reasons. I've got a kit on the way to Mike Neff this week. He plans on testing a pusher config. I'll see if I can get him to post a little on this thread. The single pusher might be the way to go, though I wanted the sound and authenticity of an edf "jet". Maybe we can work out an option A, and B.

So I should probably give a little background here- I left my airport job at the airlines last year after 9 yrs of service to basically do this. To be a little philosophical, I just don't care to go on making money for someone else, and I want to thrive doing something that fascinates me. Starting an online RC business that emphasizes on heavy jets has been a "gut feeling" for a really long time for me. That being said, I mean business here. It's time for a high quality, affordable and conveniently sized airliner to hit the market, and it will be in time for early summer. Maybe spring? I spent virtually all of my energy thru the last year getting "skilled up" in CAD surface modeling, 3d printing, prototyping, and vac forming. Prototype 1 is finished. There are some refinements to be made. I'll be pushing hard beginning tomorrow and posting in this thread often to generate interest. If you like what's happening here, feel free to share it with your fellow RC'rs! Thanks for the support and interest! Hope everyone is having a great start to 2016! cheers, Broc
Jan 17, 2016, 08:05 PM
Can you fly bobby?
Great work and I like how you may offer a kit with options on how it is powered I.e EDF pusher prop for endurance purposes alone I would be inclined to go pusher prop but I may be a minority saying that. I don't find authentic about tiny EDF's whizzing away sounding like a vacuum/hairdryer but not many people at all seem to care about that in the EDF world..

Just as a thought there is a guy who was making small depron airliner kits here in the UK though he seems to be busy lately and or sidetracked. he uses pusher prop configs and EDF.
Take a look at his pusher prop a380 here.

Depron Airbus A380 (3 min 11 sec)

Just a question where are you based? It might be worth mentioning where these possibly kits maybe shipped from..

Keep up the great work
Jan 17, 2016, 08:18 PM
Thanks for that post! I'm in SLC, Utah, USA. You're right about the sound of micro fans! One of my recent questions was- could one get the sound of a 70mm 12 blade edf to compare in a 14 or 16 blade 30mm to 35mm edf??? I did some experimenting with this, and it appears you can! however, thrust is another problem that I'm hoping someone might be able to help with. I vow to make kits cheap enough to make shipping worth it. Thanks again Broc