View Poll Results: Would you like this in a kit?
Fully manufactured ordered from website 133 86.93%
Short kit through PM( Vacuum formed parts, window markings, and 3d printed hardware. Cut your own foam and wings.) 25 16.34%
Open source plans and file download- DIY thermo form, 3d print, hotwire foam cut, laser or hand cut parts 6 3.92%
No kit 1 0.65%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Jan 18, 2016, 01:23 PM
Designer at Heavymetalrc.com
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK1G4V
Can I ask what is the AUW of one of these?

Cheers.
with the edf's it's about 10oz. I'm really leaning towards a pusher at this point for a main platform. This should put me under 8 oz. The airframe it's self is only 6oz. Roughly
to remove ads between posts
Jan 18, 2016, 01:54 PM
Thread OP

update

As we chat, I have extended the wing fairing towards the tail. I've noticed there are many different versions of dc-10 with funky mods. This I believe is a must. Much cooler looking from many angles. I also have fixed a couple dimensions around the nose area that seemed a bit "off" to me. The radome cap will be pushed back to the actual scale location and vac formed instead of 3d printed, leaving scale panel lines. The 3d printed cap didn't look great and doesn't paint the same.
Last edited by Scalejet757; Jan 18, 2016 at 02:03 PM.
Jan 18, 2016, 02:19 PM
airliner-rc.ru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalejet757
When I have 5 of these in different liveries all lined up and dove tailed at my local park for the maiden.. and then a pro video of them nose up on approach with the gear and flaps down, floating over the "numbers' to a touchdown and victory flare.. then we'll see what's up :P haha At the end of the day, this will be a niche market for sure. But we'll definitely be sending a shock through the entire market in some way or another. And there will be converts!

I hope that everything will be just that.
Wish you luck
Jan 18, 2016, 05:13 PM
was geht , müssen unten kommen
very Nice!!
Jan 18, 2016, 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK1G4V
Ahhh gotcha as It happens I found a local used one wearing BA livery on Facebook. Just a week ago My first airliner to be honest.

I know a few other sellers for those too. All is not lost
PM me if you wish
Thanks for the offer....but reviewing the specs I would prefer something just a hair smaller. Not bigger than needing a 2200 3S.
Jan 19, 2016, 04:22 PM
the icbm of pilots
I want one that is too cool
Jan 21, 2016, 04:33 AM
Thread OP

Sittin' on 3 sets of parts for 3 beta testers!

The last couple of days have been filled with pure excitement. You are a great group of people on this forum. So after vac forming 3 sets of parts, I felt like I needed to go back to the cad file and do some refining there first before tackling the AA dc-10 prototype. Details such as panel lines, cargo doors, and gear door markings have been added to the file. I'm excited about this because it will add not only dimension and detail, but also a guide to apply markings. For example, there is now a panel that protrudes slightly down the length of the fuse for passenger windows. This will take the guess work out of applying those window strips and will look awesome. The same goes for the wheel wells- it will aid in cutting for exact placement of retracts and wing mounts. These refinements will not be seen until I re-print the new plugs, of course, which I'd like to begin in the next couple days. Until then, these 3 beta testers will do great. I'm attacking the assembly of the AA tomorrow. It should be a pretty snappy build! I'll show all of it.

I have been persuaded to go with a pusher first, and an EDF second. The simplicity, thrust, weight, cost, and flight time are hard to ignore from a kitting stand point. I'm kind of "duh" sometimes. I get my mind set on things. Though, at the multi-maiden event, I would love to have an edf to try out among the fleet. I'll try for that. This of course means that the pushers can go back to a scale engine and pylon. That's a fair trade in it's self! Below are some complicated screen shots of the hardware I've drawn up for the motor mount in the tail assembly. So simple compared to the edf ducts and mounts. And I'll bet we can get under 8oz easy! She's gonna be a good flyer I think! I am so excited... and I'm not even goin' to disneyland.
Jan 21, 2016, 04:45 AM
Thread OP

ARF Fleet

I have a few waiting in line. Here's a peek at one I've got basically ready to go after the dc-10.
Jan 21, 2016, 05:18 AM
This all looks extraordinary. Amazing stuff. Thank you.
Jan 21, 2016, 05:37 AM
Can you fly bobby?
Damn I would absolutely love to test one of these beauty's too bad I'm so far (Insert sad face)
Great work!

EDIT By the way A318/19 would make a great model at this size
Jan 21, 2016, 11:44 AM
I am so excited, I think I peed a little... the main reason I am so excited about your jet is the manageable size. You say the length is 37"...what will the wingspan be? I am guessing 36"? That general size is going to be perfect, and I will definitely want one when you get them ready for sale....even if you make them with pusher props. I love the scale look and sound of EDF's, but let's face it, they are not too efficient and not very responsive....and hard on batteries. Either way...whatever power system you use, I want one!

Carry on! back to the lab you go!
Last edited by Hugo Flynow; Oct 05, 2017 at 06:50 AM.
Jan 21, 2016, 04:06 PM
Thread OP

power

haha thanks for support gentlemen! My shop is a lot less lonely now. I LOVE micros! With stabilizing and no wind, the magic they provide is like a sledge hammer between the eyes. it's so awesome. People love their big jets, and I love them too, but like you said, it's about convenience now. Plus you can be back up in minutes after a crash. Say guys, what motor and prop do you reckon would be a good "stock" component? Being that the AUW will be around 7 or 8 oz? This is where my knowledge gets a little patchy. I have this 6.5g AX1304 -2000kv that I thought might do the trick. I need the jet to be powerful enough to climb out of trouble, but light enough to be able to pull the nose back and float. The castle 6A is the lightest ESC possible that i know of, (the Yep7A is even lighter but has no BEC, requiring the use of heavier servos that can handle the Voltage.) The batteries I have displayed give a broad range of mAh and weights. At a draw of 4 amps, conservatively, they will provide 3.9 minutes, 7.5 mins, and 14.3 mins respectively, of flight time at full power to a value of 0 mAh. So shave a few off those times to be safe of course. But it would be pretty pimp to be able to cruise around for 14 minutes with that 950mAh (1.6oz). I'll put the battery tray over the CG so we can have the option to use ANY batt. But which motor and prop for this? If we want more drag, then we want lower kv and bigger prop right? At the same time, I would like to be as discrete as possible about the prop on the tail. 3 blader?
Jan 21, 2016, 04:20 PM
Hi Broc, just strayed onto this and am "hooked " already...i worked for Northwest for over 22 years and alongside the 747's , the DC10s were regulars to LGW. The sounds as they taxied in were unmistakable....your choice for this size model is spot on...flying fields (school fields) are shrinking in the UK...so a decent park-flyer is the way to go now...keep pushing to get a kit together and you wont have any trouble shifting them... Can't wait to see these go on sale...
..take care
Jan 21, 2016, 04:28 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Flynow
I am so excited, I think I peed a little... the main reason I am so excited about your jet is the manageable size. You say the length is 37"...what will the wingspan be? I am guessing 36"? That general size is going to be perfect, and I will definitely want one when you get them ready for sale....even if you make them with pusher props. I love the scale look and sound of EDF's, but let's face it, they are not too efficient and not very responsive....and hard on batteries. Either way...whatever power system you use, I want one!

Carry on! back to the lab you go!
length 36.9", 31.75" span but wings are detachable
Jan 21, 2016, 04:31 PM
Closed Account
OMG! I am so in for one of these! It looks amazing! EDF or pusher, I'm not picky. Either method would be dirt cheap to buy the power package at this size.

After carting around big balsa planes for so long I've just started flying (and buying several of) the E-Flight UMX micro planes. I'm surprised at how much fun they are to fly. Having a small but great looking airliner like this would be an incredible addition to the micro fleet. Really looking forward to the release. PLEASE keep the thread updated with progress!!

Joe

Quick Reply