Jan 26, 2002, 10:45 PM
Thread OP

Any interest in an Ace Pacer conversion review?

Folks,

I have recently converted an Ace Pacer to electric power and am currently flying it full house with great flight characteristics. If anyone is interested in a review/instructions/photos, please post to this thread and if there's some interest, I'll put together something for you.

-ZagiZagi
to remove ads between posts
Jan 26, 2002, 10:57 PM
Hi

Is this the 1/2A Pacer? I have a kit I wasn't going to build since it seemed too heavy to electrify. I'm definitely interested. I had a Super Pacer IC which I could see would make a nice conversion.

John
Jan 26, 2002, 10:59 PM
I, for one, would be interested. I've got a Pacer plus a couple of spare Pacer foam wing sets in my 'someday' pile... thinking a geared 480 with 8 1300SCR's would be just about right.

Later!

Greg in Minneapolis
Jan 26, 2002, 11:08 PM
Now that I think of it I also have a box of constant cord wings and a box of tapered Ace wings. I was going to build a plane called a P-3 designed for an .09 and these wings in Model Aviation many years ago. It looked like an enlarged and modified 1/2 A Pacer...got to go check the basement.
Jan 27, 2002, 12:11 AM
I remember that P3... my gut reaction was that having that long of an expanse of Ace foam wings would make for a very flexible wing.

OTOH, I had great success with a canard pusher based on the Boxy-Z published in MB... used a box of 2" wide 1/8" balsa for the fuselage, an Ace constant chord foam wing set, and a simple 1/8" sheet canard and fin. I converted it to twin-fins (ala' F14.... after the first attempts at flight showed it had too little fin), swept the wing a mite with horner-type tips and some CF for strength, airfoiled that canard, and made a slightly more streamlined nose, and went up to a Cox .074 from the .049 of the original... called it the Boxy-X, zipped around well... need to rebuild it (ALWAYS check what setup is set on your computer radio before launching!)... and then build the electric version with a rolled tube fuselage, an AFI 035 DD, and 7 or 8 1300SCR's (weren't available then, but a perfect match!). I'd call it the Boxy-XE!

Greg in Minneapolis
Jan 27, 2002, 10:14 AM
KZ RIDER
I have an old Ace MachNone set up for TD051, it flies on rails. I've always wondered what it would be like on Electic setup. I think these planes are quite similar, i would be very interested in a review on setup and flight reports. Thanks Ray
Jan 27, 2002, 10:38 AM
Electric Coolhunter
I loved my old Ace Pacer and Mach None back in the mid 70's. A conversion article would be fun!
Latest blog entry: RC events for 2019!
Jan 27, 2002, 11:29 AM
Thread OP

Will do

Okay, chaps, I'll put something together. May take a little while but subscribe to this thread and I'll post a followup with URL, etc.

-ZagiZagi
Jan 28, 2002, 10:37 AM
Balsa Flies Better!
John/Aeronut

I've already done the conversion on the Super Pacer- do a search on this forum and it'll show up. Unfortunately the plane is no longer extant, but it did fly well.

Sam
Jan 28, 2002, 12:58 PM
KZ RIDER
What if i told you fellows that a friend of mine has his own hobby shop, and it been at the same location almost 35 years. And i think he has some old Ace Pacer and MachNone kits still in the back. Let me know if there is any interest and i'll check and see if he still has some. Thanks Ray
Jan 28, 2002, 01:13 PM
Sam/Megowcoupe

Sounds interesting. Unfortunately mine died 17 years ago while it was IC....must have been a REALLY bad crash since I can't even remember how it expired. :-)

John
Jan 28, 2002, 03:45 PM
I would be interested in the Pacer and Machnone kits.

Rob
Feb 24, 2002, 05:05 PM
Thread OP

The review is complete!

Ladies and Gents,

As requested, I have completed a huge photo essay on electrifying the Ace Pacer (Speed 400 size full-house pattern plane from the 1970's).

http://home.attbi.com/~zagizagi/pacer/

Regards,
-ZagiZagi
Feb 25, 2002, 02:23 AM
I see the future.

What about plans??

If we could get our hands on some plans, it would be worth doing a redesign of the structure for e-flight. Considering how well this plane seems to fly at (wow) 32 oz, it would fly awesome at 24 or so.
Does anyone with a kit also have plans??
I am in the early stages (dreaming stages) of designing an aerobatic type plane of this size and love the looks of the pacer.
One question... Did the pacer use the Ace foam wing?? Does anyone know where to get them?
Feb 25, 2002, 02:25 AM
I see the future.

foam wings

Aeronut, would you be willing to part with any of those foam wings?

Quick Reply