Jan 14, 2016, 12:29 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

raf whaleback 63ft

to much time looking online and with 3D printed guns and parts just a click away.. I built this in 1985-6 1/24th scale about 31inches.. I could refit her "or" reorder the plans and take a hard look at 1/16th(just under 48 inches)which would give the room for 3 motors and lots of other fun stuff.. Pat makes it look easy!!! it's either this or start a 1/48th hull plug for a butler class DE..
Last edited by tghsmith; Jan 14, 2016 at 12:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 14, 2016, 09:58 PM
George Jure
I would really like to see a build of this one. I have thought about that model build for a long time now.

George
Jan 14, 2016, 11:25 PM
Very nice lines on that ASR boat, reminds me of a scaled down early Elco PT Boat.

Do you know who in the UK was the builder of these boats, and were they Packard powered?
Jan 15, 2016, 07:09 AM
Thread OP
built by British power boats, designed by Hubert Scott-Paine..One 70ftr they produced was purchased by Elco.. yes it was part of the design base for US PT's.. whalebacks were powered by 3 Napier Sea Lions 500hp.., 12cyl state of the art in the 30's
Jan 15, 2016, 10:46 AM
If you're looking for vote between 1/16 whaleback or 1/48 de.

Mine is for the whaleback, she's a beautiful boat.
Jan 15, 2016, 01:03 PM
Submarine or Target?
As a financially disinterested party in this decision making process, MY vote is that you should build both, simultaneously, for our entertainment with lots of pictures.

(was that helpful?)
Jan 15, 2016, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tghsmith View Post
built by British power boats, designed by Hubert Scott-Paine..One 70ftr they produced was purchased by Elco.. yes it was part of the design base for US PT's.. whalebacks were powered by 3 Napier Sea Lions 500hp.., 12cyl state of the art in the 30's
Thanks for the response, I all ways thought those boats had a family tie to the early Elcos somehow. Any idea what kind of speed they were capable of with less mass and horsepower?
Jan 15, 2016, 03:30 PM
Thread OP
36knts, can't believe the amount of info and pics that are out there.. found some great stuff on the turrets..
Jan 15, 2016, 06:44 PM
Thread OP
RAF Rescue Boats (1941) (1 min 7 sec)

For Those In Peril (1943) (2 min 31 sec)

lots of screen grabs for details..
Jan 18, 2016, 01:21 PM
Thread OP
well, new set of whaleback plans are on the way, another great source sent me some fantastic photos, found some great info,drawings and photos of the turrets, a 3D designer made some quick changes so a set of 6 vickers is available.. Pat has the 20mm, vents and other great things.. priced out wood this am.. have found the boat in pics fitted out the way I want,, early tall turrets with single vickers, twin vickers on deck mounts, 20mm on stern.. center mounted DF bulb..splinter bag armour, thinking about detailed out coxswain section and main cabin interior..
Last edited by tghsmith; Jan 19, 2016 at 07:53 AM.
Jan 18, 2016, 04:37 PM
Any chance that the plan that you ordered are of 63ft RAF Rescue Launch (whaleback) by John Pritchard?

I'm trying to find a copy of that plan to purchase but not really having a good luck searching. I found one offered by Model Boats Magazine as plan MM1320. (I think it that one but am not sure due to no pictures of the plan itself)
Jan 18, 2016, 05:14 PM
Thread OP
http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/produc...-launch-mm1320
http://www.model-dockyard.com/acatal..._Launches.html
http://www.taubmansonline.com/ look for RAF
these were the plans I used way back,, I cut them up during the build.. I now make copies of plans so I can keep an "archived" copy..
also there is a build thread for a 1/18th version on model boat mayhem.. deans marine does a kit.. 1/24.. also a overseas maker has hulls
thats the number on my old plans
Jan 18, 2016, 09:20 PM
Thanks a bunch, now I know which is the correct plan. I've always want to build one in 1/20 scale someday in the future. It'll come out close to 38 inches long in 1/20 scale. Looking forward to see your build
Jan 26, 2016, 08:36 AM
Thread OP
looking for some motor/rpm /kv advice the prop options that look good are a 1.2" with a 1.2" pitch or a 1.3" with 1.5 pitch.. 3 props, three motors, three battery packs, looks like 28mm brushless motors will work, 5000mah 7.2 NiMH battery packs.. my total model weight will be in the 11-12 lbs range, It's been a long time since I've built anything that went over 23knts.. at least I could get some research and reading done over the last few days while being iced in at home..(big box of wood ordered)
Last edited by tghsmith; Jan 26, 2016 at 09:27 AM.
Jan 26, 2016, 01:09 PM
Thread OP
these details drove me crazy without good info,, should look good in 1/16th

Quick Reply